San Diego is Going to Win today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

Administrator
Staff member
ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
I've been saying this all week and I truly believe it. I loved seeing the Chargers win last week and I love this match-up and think they're going to bounce Denver today. That should set things up nicely for next week at home for New England, although I think San Diego's defense is a little better than Denver's.

But either way, I expect Manning to get knocked out again today. Could be wrong, but this was the match-up I was hoping for to hopefully set up a home game for the Patriots next weekend.

I've been saying this all week and I truly believe it. I loved seeing the Chargers win last week and I love this match-up and think they're going to bounce Denver today. That should set things up nicely for next week at home for New England, although I think San Diego's defense is a little better than Denver's.

But either way, I expect Manning to get knocked out again today. Could be wrong, but this was the match-up I was hoping for to hopefully set up a home game for the Patriots next weekend.

I sure hope so. I am surrounded by manning ball washers, so if he loses, It will be a great week.

I sure hope so. I am surrounded by manning ball washers, so if he loses, It will be a great week.

Playing a division opponent in the postseason is never a good thing, and I'd like to think the Chargers are going to play this game like they have nothing to lose, whereas Denver and Manning have all the pressure on them. That's a dangerous situation to be in.

Like the confidence, but it will be extraordinarily difficult to beat Manning again with his full complement of weapons, including the referees. Unfortunately, I think DEN pulls away in the second half and we get Brady/Manning God-Knows-What-Roman-Numeral

I have no idea who will win. I'd say the Broncos got a bad draw going against the Bolts but still there is one high powered offense in Denver. Can't really make a grand argument for why the Bolts will win besides a hunch.

Boy do i hope you are right, I really think the Patriots win if they host the AFCCG.

Let the perennial Manning epic-choke begin in about an hour.

:popcorn:

I like the optimism, but I think the Broncos blow out the Chargers today

I think that SD will win today as well. The Matthews injury concerns me but they are playing very well right now and are not afraid of DEN. I think Mike McCoy knowing that offense and PM is a storyline that needs to be watched.

Heard on sports radio that in the last four years, the team that has played the Iggles in their home opener has won the Super Bowl. Yikes!

2009- Saints
2010- Green Bay
2011- Giants
2012- BAL
2013....SD

I don't much care who we play, as long as we play "our game" the way we did late night - physical, mentally tough, run-pass balance, tough defense, and good situational football.

I think San Diego is the better team right now - better defense, better running game, and not that far off in the passing game. I also think San Diego matches up better against us (though D to run and pass on, better running game). Mike McCoy has done a great job in getting the Chargers to play relatively mistake-free football - something that would have been an oxymoron under Norv Turner. But it will be tough for San Diego emotionally to win on the road against Cincinnati and today against Denver and then do it again in Foxboro. I don't think they are as mentally or physically tough as the Ravens were last year.

I think Denver is soft, and we match up pretty well, but it will be a road game.

Either way I just think we need to focus on our preparation and execution, and let whatever happens happen.

Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I believe we got a heckuva draw with Indy and their leaky defense while Denver has to battle SD the more complete team. Not only is SD the tougher draw this week but they have also had Manning's number.

I've always felt a little bad for Philip Rivers, who seems like a talented and hard-working QB handed a bit of a raw deal. (Would even Tom Brady have become Tom Brady with Norv Turner as his coach?)

Here's to Rivers earning the respect he deserves this afternoon.

I don't much care who we play, as long as we play "our game" the way we did late night - physical, mentally tough, run-pass balance, tough defense, and good situational football.

I think San Diego is the better team right now - better defense, better running game, and not that far off in the passing game. I also think San Diego matches up better against us (though D to run and pass on, better running game). Mike McCoy has done a great job in getting the Chargers to play relatively mistake-free football - something that would have been an oxymoron under Norv Turner. But it will be tough for San Diego emotionally to win on the road against Cincinnati and today against Denver and then do it again in Foxboro. I don't think they are as mentally or physically tough as the Ravens were last year.

I think Denver is soft, and we match up pretty well, but it will be a road game.

Either way I just think we need to focus on our preparation and execution, and let whatever happens happen.

Agree with you in terms of the Chargers being the tougher match-up. My biggest concern is the road game in Denver. That's a tough place to play and I'd rather take my chances seeing them play at home in Foxboro rather than having to beat Manning in their place. The big factor is going to be the health and the ability for the secondary to have another repeat performance from the earlier match-up. Indy had four pass plays of over 30 yards last night, which is more than New England allowed all season. That's a concern heading into that potential rematch that Denver has the weapons to exploit, and something that raises a red flag.

Granted I think offensively New England matches up well against their defense, but a shootout on the road is something I'd rather not see. But I just like the way San Diego's playing right now and think if anyone can knock Denver out, it's them.

Last edited:
Peyton Manning could throw 7 interceptions, have 4 fumbles and lose 3-0 and it would still be his defenses fault and ESPN would still pick him to win the SB next year.

Maybe im wrong but the way refs are allowing defenses to be more physical in the playoffs should benefit the chargers. They will be allowed to be more physical woth those denver receivers and disrupt the timing of their offense

I will never understand why anyone would fear Peyton in the playoffs. The entire team is built around him and for them to win he will have to carry them. He has shown time and time again that he simply cannot carry a team to the SB. The year he won he had 3 TDs and 7 INTs and was carried by his D. The Broncos D will be missing their best player (Miller) and their secondary is trash. I don't care about their regular season Star Wars numbers. We as Pats fans should know better based on our history against Forehead.

I believe this as well - while I have a ton of respect for SD (and in particular, the role Woodhead can play) I also think that there's some truth to the notion that Manning falters in the "big" games.

And boy he's gotta be feeling just a bit of pressure in that respect after so many one and outs in the playoffs.

I have confidence the Pats can beat Denver at home of course - but another nice cold rainy win in Foxboro to move on to the Super Bowl has a nice ring to it!

Indy had four pass plays of over 30 yards last night, which is more than New England allowed all season. That's a concern heading into that potential rematch that Denver has the weapons to exploit, and something that raises a red flag.

Andrew Luck throws a beautiful deep ball, but he has become too much of a Brett Favre-gunslinger this season, with not enough defense or running game. Many of those plays were into tight windows, and not many were a result of YAC. I'll trade 4 pass plays of over 30 yards for 4 turnovers and 14 points off of turnovers. Manning doesn't have the arm to throw the deep ball, and unless the Pats give up a ton of YAC. If the Pats can tackle and keep the YAC reasonable, I don't see Manning being able to go deep consistently on us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye