San Diego Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Also check out other analysis at Patriots Planet

First Half

Kickoff: Hobbs from the NE 11, 20 yd. return, Hobbs takes the short kick up the middle, where Izzo (among others – Smith, Watson, and Morris) lose blocks.

Offensive Series #1 Touchdown

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 15:00 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 7 plays (0 run, 7 pass), 69 yards (0 run, 69 pass), time of possession was 2:46
Breakdown: 6 green plays (0 run, 6 pass) for 69 yds., 1 red play (0 run, 1 pass) for 0 yds.

1st and 10 NE 31

Result: Pass, Watson, crossing pattern underneath, 9 yds.
Analysis: Shotgun 4 WR, 2 left (Moss, Welker), 2 right (Stallworth, Faulk), TE Watson right wing vs. 3-4, CBs off. Both OLBs blitzed off the snap and were picked up perfectly by Light and Kaczur. Both the ILBs dropped back into spy/zones, leaving Watson a lot of room to work with underneath. With a clean pocket, Brady fired it in for a quick 9-yard gain.

2nd and 1 NE 40

Result: Pass, Watson, quick square-out, 6 yds.
Analysis: 3 WR, 1 left (Stallworth), 2 right (Moss, Welker), TE Watson right wing, RB Faulk vs. 3-4, LBs showing blitz, CBs off. Pats in the no huddle. Both the LILB and LOLB blitzed, with the LILB jumping to avoid Faulk’s blitz-pickup dive. This bought Brady just enough time to do a little jump-pass to Watson, who had found the void formerly occupied by the blitzers. Welker’s complimentary square-out also occupied the oncoming SS. Protection was fine on the backside.

1st and 10 NE 46

Result: Pass, Moss, 5-yard square-out, 8 yds.
Analysis: 3 WR, 2 left (Stallworth, Welker), 1 right (Moss), TE Watson right wing, RB Faulk vs. 3-4, LBs showing blitz, CBs off. Basically the same deal. This time the RILB and ROLB blitzed, and were picked up by Faulk and Light, respectively. The LOLB (Merriman) also blitzed, and Yates did a great job of picking it up, sliding outside, and shoving Merriman out of Brady’s throwing lane. The interior of the line continued to deny the Chargers DL an inch of penetration. The Chargers really set themselves up for this, as they left the LILB to fend against Watson on a seam route (another viable option), while also keeping their CBs in soft coverage. Moss was wide open and picked up a few extra yards after the catch.

Note: Hey, why not keep a close-up of BB on for about 10 minutes and miss the start of the play…why not…

2nd and 2 SD 46

Result: Pass, Moss, 5-yard square-out, 5 yds.
Analysis: WR, 2 left (Stallworth, Welker), 1 right (Moss), TE Watson right wing, RB Faulk vs. 3-4, LBs showing blitz, CBs off after LCB backs off press. This time Faulk is lined up behind the RG in order to help out with Merriman if needed. After Brady’s adjustments (the same one that caused the LCB to back off), the RILB slid outside to actually cover the slot, Welker, this time. Only the ROLB blitzed, and was neutralized by a nice fake-cut block by Light. This also meant that Faulk and Watson were free to roam underneath – Watson was essentially doubled by the LILB and LOLB while Faulk was free. Besides a late pancake on Kaczur by the LDE (Castillo, who immediately fell down anyway), the protection was immaculate. With the LCB playing somewhere between Attleboro and Wrentham, Moss had all the space in the world to plant himself right up on the hashmarks of the sideline and catch the Brady pass falling backwards.

1st and 10 SD 41

Result: Pass, “Stallworth”, Incomplete, pass ‘tuck ruled’ under pressure.
Analysis: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 left (Stallworth, Welker), 1 right (Moss), TE Watson right wing, RB Faulk left vs. 3-4, RILB off slot, OLBs showing blitz, both CBs off. Both the OLBs blitzed on this play, but the Pats interior OL finally had their first blemish of the night. Mankins let himself get turned around by the swimming RDE, who came up from behind Brady (stepping up) and pulled a Woodson-esque strip of Brady. Whether Brady was actually attempting to throw it to Stallworth or spiked it knowing the RDE was going to strip him is up for debate. But the tuck rule applies here and it’s an incomplete pass. Faulk was open underneath, so there was an option, but Brady didn’t have the time to get it over there. Welker was also open on a quick hook, but Brady decided just to pump it instead, perhaps not knowing what was coming up from behind him.

2nd and 10 SD 41

Result: Pass, Welker, seam pattern, 34 yds.
Analysis: Shotgun 3 WR, 2 left (Stallworth, Welker), 1 right (Moss), TE Watson right wing, RB Faulk left vs. 3-4, LBs and SS (late) showing blitz, CBs off. The Chargers continued to blitz like crazy, this time bringing in the LILB followed up by the SS. Faulk stepped up and did a tremendous job of sacrificing his body in the path of the untouched, barreling LILB. Faulk didn’t let himself get pushed back into Brady, and instead transferred the momentum into a sort of body-slam of the LILB off to Brady’s right. Yates had the responsibility of picking up the SS coming in late, but did a piss-poor job of it. Luckily, Brady was already in his throwing motion as Yates made his half-hearted attempt at even touching the speeding SS. Welker, in the slot, was again matched up against a LB, this time the ROLB Phillips. There was something seriously wrong with the Chargers’ defense, as Phillips pulled up as if in a zone, but the Chargers were only in a cover-1, not normally a zone coverage. This opened up an immense void (above the RCB and ROLB, outside of the FS) that Brady hit Welker in with authority.

1st and 7 SD 7

Result: Pass, Watson, 5-yard fade pattern, 7 yds., TOUCHDOWN.
Analysis: Shotgun 3 WR, 1 left (Stallworth), 2 right (Moss, Welker), TE Watson right wing, Faulk RB left vs. 3-4, LBs showing blitz, LCB press. Only the ROLB blitz this time, giving Faulk the opportunity to head out into the flat. The protection was again immaculate. Not a defender within 5 feet of Brady. Watson went straight up into the LOLB (Merriman), who jammed him into the LILB (Cooper). But from here, the SS came up to cover Welker on a crossing pattern, and the LCB was occupied underneath by Moss. This left Watson RIDICULOUSLY wide open in the corner of the end zone.

Extra Point

Result: Converted.

Score: New England 7 – San Diego 0

Assessment

Scalpel? Good. This was just surgical, folks. Complete domination. I can only begin to question what the hell the Chargers were thinking. The point is why they insisted on staying in the base 3-4 even when the Pats used 3 WRs the entire drive. Why not put a NB out on Welker? That would have at least helped them out on that SLICING of the defense he did on the 34-yard gain. Really, just a pathetic job by the Chargers. On the Watson touchdown, you know your defense is utterly laughable when a receiver is so wide open in the endzone the whole crowd erupts before the ball even reaches the peak of its arc on a lobbed pass. What the hell were they thinking? Did Cooper, the LILB, just forget to cover Watson? There wasn’t anything mysterious about this. The Pats never had Morris in. They never had Maroney in. They never ran the play action. They simply brought out the (shot)gun and went to work against the defense.

Drive Grades

QB ‘A+’
RBs ‘A+’ - Faulk. Blitz pickup. ‘Nuff said.
WRs ‘A+’
TEs ‘A+’
OL ‘A’ - Perfect besides Mankins’ mishap
OC ‘A+’

Defensive Series #1 Interception

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 12:14 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 1 plays (0 run, 1 pass), 0 yards (0 run, 0 pass), time of possession was 0:06
Breakdown: 1 green plays (0 run, 1 pass) for 0 yds.

Kickoff: Touchback, kicked out of end zone.

1st and 10 SD 20

Result: Pass, Davis, play action, 15-yard comeback pattern, INTERCEPTED at SD 28 by NE – Colvin, 4 yd. return.
Analysis: 2 WR split, 2 TE right wing, RB Tomlinson vs. 3-4, CBs off, Sanders showing blitz late. Vrabel blitzes and is picked up by the inside TE Manumaleuna, with Sanders and Thomas picking up the outside TE Gates on a seam pattern. This leaves both Bruschi and Colvin free to roam in-between Tomlinson in the flat and the LWR Davis on a 15-yard sideline comeback pattern. Hobbs was turned around by the LWR and was a little late reacting on the comeback, hence the Rivers throw. The throw itself wasn’t bad at all, but Rivers simply neglected to take account of Colvin right in his line of fire. With an athletic leap, Colvin snagged the ball out of the air and brought the Pats’ offense right back out on the field.

Assessment

Result: Play action out of the gate by the Chargers. Not a surprise, but with their only top-line option (Gates) in double-coverage, Rivers was left without a backup plan.

Drive Grades

DL ‘C’ - no penetration
OLBs ‘A’ - no Vrabel penetration
ILBs ‘A’
CBs ‘B+’
Ss ‘A’
DC ‘A’

Yates got hurt sometime in the 2nd half. Andrea Kramer was doing a sideline report about guess what whenever Yates was walking off with the help of the medical staff. Did he return to the game?

I'll break down the San Diego game for ya:

The Chargers got their ***es handed to them. I think that's a pretty accurate description of what took place sunday night...

I'm going to re-watch this myself, but three things I'm curious as to what others think about:

1) Why didn't SD pay more mind to Moss? I mean, seriously, there was one man on him all nite and he made it look easy.
2) Stallworth played a whole lot more, and will likely be more of a factor in coming weeks...Brady overthrew him on a would-be TD and he drew a PI call.
3) Thomas seemed to play better in the run defense, seemed like he was getting pushed around a little bit (progressively less) pre-season and week 1, but not last nite.

As far as I'm concerned, the only topics worth reading are about football. Good stuff, Pats1, and thanks!

I think I read that BB gave Sanders the defensive game ball. I remember seeing him in on at least one big third down stop of Tomlinson, curious what your breakdown will show. He and Santonio Thomas gang tackled Tomlinson on one stop and Sanders made a solo shoelace tackle on another. A huge night for the D.

I'm going to re-watch this myself, but three things I'm curious as to what others think about:

1) Why didn't SD pay more mind to Moss? I mean, seriously, there was one man on him all nite and he made it look easy.
2) Stallworth played a whole lot more, and will likely be more of a factor in coming weeks...Brady overthrew him on a would-be TD and he drew a PI call.
3) Thomas seemed to play better in the run defense, seemed like he was getting pushed around a little bit (progressively less) pre-season and week 1, but not last nite.

In response to "1", The Chargers didn't simply keep one guy on Moss all night. They actually brought the Safety over the top and sometimes also brought a LB over. For some reason they seemed to get their to late or blow the coverage though. At least one of if not both of his TD catches came with more than one guy around him, they were just to far off and blew the coverage. I don't know how much of that was their secondary just plain sucking and how much of it was Moss's recharged play. I'm thinking it was a combination of both :)

In response to "1", The Chargers didn't simply keep one guy on Moss all night. They actually brought the Safety over the top and sometimes also brought a LB over. For some reason they seemed to get their to late or blow the coverage though. At least one of if not both of his TD catches came with more than one guy around him, they were just to far off and blew the coverage. I don't know how much of that was their secondary just plain sucking and how much of it was Moss's recharged play. I'm thinking it was a combination of both :)

Good call and thanks for the correction on how SD played Moss. I agree, it's probably a combination, I am going to watch some of the game again to specifically watch Moss. Both of his TDs were nice, but the one down the sideline, he flat-out embarassed his man at the LOS (I forget who it was on him). One move and it was 6 all the way. For me, there's no question the "old Moss" is back.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/09/positional_grou_7.html

September 18, 2007
Positional groupings
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

A look at the positional groupings used by the Patriots in Sunday's win over the Chargers:

2 WR/2 TE/1 RB -- 27 of 64 snaps
3 WR/1 TE/1 RB -- 23 of 64
1 WR/3 TE/1 RB -- 11 of 64
1 WR/2 TE/1FB/1RB -- 2 of 64
4 WR/1RB -- 1 of 64

ANALYSIS: The Patriots opened the game in their three-wide package, going no-huddle for the first 10 plays of the game. That set the tempo. Then, after taking control, the offense settled into more multiple tight end sets. When the Patriots went to multiple tight end sets early in the game, tight end Benjamin Watson was sometimes split wide as a receiver, giving it the look of a three-wide package and helping create advantageous matchups. Overall, the package with three tight ends has been productive through two games, with Randy Moss scoring touchdowns in back-to-back weeks when lined up as the lone receiver. It's a reflection of the balance the Patriots' offense has achieved to this point -- and the excellence of Moss himself -- when a power package is on the field and the offense still can hit the big play.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 07:26:27 AM

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/09/player_particip.html

September 17, 2007
Player participation
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

A look at the number of snaps played by offensive skill position players in Sunday night's win over the Chargers:

TE Benjamin Watson -- 58 of 64
WR Randy Moss -- 50 of 64
TE Kyle Brady -- 45 of 64
WR Donte' Stallworth -- 39 of 64
WR Wes Welker -- 37 of 64
RB Laurence Maroney -- 26 of 64
RB Sammy Morris -- 18 of 64
RB Kevin Faulk -- 18 of 64
TE Ryan O'Callaghan -- 11 of 64
WR Jabar Gaffney -- 6 of 64
WR Kelley Washington -- 5 of 64
RB/FB Heath Evans -- 4 of 64 (2 as RB, 2 as FB)

* Final two kneel-downs not included

QUICK HITS: Last week, WR Donte' Stallworth played in just nine snaps, this week the number increased to 39 as he was part of more two-wide packages ... WR Randy Moss has played in 89 of the first 127 snaps of the season, as he's clearly emerged as the No. 1 option. ... For the second straight week, TE Benjamin Watson led the way in snaps played. ... For the most part, the Patriots split the running back snaps by series.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 10:39:58 AM

Nice breakdown n the first drive, but your analysis has some issues:

I can only begin to question what the hell the Chargers were thinking. The point is why they insisted on staying in the base 3-4 even when the Pats used 3 WRs the entire drive. Why not put a NB out on Welker? That would have at least helped them out on that SLICING of the defense he did on the 34-yard gain. Really, just a pathetic job by the Chargers. .....

They stayed in the base D because we were running the hurry-up offense, and they couldn't get any nickel or dime substitutions in. That is actually the most significant thing that contributed to the success of this drive. It wasn't a Chargers failure so much as a successful Patriots tactic.

R

I don't know how much of that was their secondary just plain sucking and how much of it was Moss's recharged play. I'm thinking it was a combination of both :)

They couldn't have covered him with an assault weapon. Moss is going to have a career year, matched up with the best QB he's ever played with.

Culpeper didn't make Moss, Moss made Culpeper.

Nice breakdown n the first drive, but your analysis has some issues:

They stayed in the base D because we were running the hurry-up offense, and they couldn't get any nickel or dime substitutions in. That is actually the most significant thing that contributed to the success of this drive. It wasn't a Chargers failure so much as a successful Patriots tactic.

R

True, but the Pats did start off with 3 WRs, so there was a chance at the beginning.

And, the Chargers only put a man on the slot maybe once or twice in the drive.

So I re-watched the game for Maroney in mind.

Nothing earth shattering, and my results aren't complete b/c I'm missing two plays on my DVR (turned the station to Sox and my DVR was set up to tape whatever I was watching, blasphemy I know).

If anyone has the time or the notion to check, can someone tell me what package we were in for Maroney's 7 yard run at 9:30 left in the 1st quarter...also, I'm missing 3 yard run from Maroney somewhere in my totals. I might go back and try and find these...

That aside, one thing is blatantly clear: Kyle Brady's function on the team is pretty clear, they love running right behind this guy. He really is an extra tackle.

I have Maroney for 7 carries for 43 yards on that last drive:

- All 7 carries were run behind K Brady or to his side.

- Of those 7 carries...

2 wide, 2 TE

to the left:
2 carries for 26 yards

to the right
2 carries for 10 yards

The remainder of the carries were in the 1 wide, "3 TE" set, where the 3rd TE was really just O'Cal.

The rest of the nite confirms the success that the 2 wide, 2 TE, running behind K. Brady formation brought on the final drive. It's also worth noting that there was a 9 yard gain by Maroney in that package that was called back on holding on K Brady himself. I didn't really see a hold there, but nonetheless, that was clearly there most successful package all night for Maroney, most specifically when they ran left.

Last edited:
You guys really laid one on them what else can be said great game. :rocker:

Oh Bills fan here I hope we can give you guys a better game than San Diego could muster.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Wanted to get to some more tape this week, but was pretty busy over the past few days. So I'll hit the tapes hard come Monday.

If you want your fix of Pats breakdowns for today, AllWorldTE has done some over at the Planet. It's linked in the first post here.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey