PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel won't report to minicamp; vows to holdout until week 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: poor samuel, he feels mistreated..wont report

Its the same route all the players are going to take that get franchised.

Its sad that he feels that way but its a business and if he chooses not to make the money and risk sitting out and getting tagged agin next year then thats his problem.

Well if he says he's not showing up until Week 10, he's not playing for us again because we'll trade him before that happens.

Sucks because we'll be a lesser team - but we might have three #1s at this rate :)

he should vent to nflpa the patriots are playing by the rules, so let me get this strait asante, if the patriots dont agree with your outrageous demands after one season of solid consistent football they are mistreating you by offering 8 million for a season, i have some advise get directv and watch the games at home

Well if he says he's not showing up until Week 10, he's not playing for us again because we'll trade him before that happens.

Sucks because we'll be a lesser team - but we might have three #1s at this rate :)

Dont say the 3 #1's too loud because Samuel might not fetch as much as you think from other teams.

The upcoming draft is strong defensively too especially at the position we must never name.

If he's that stupid. I really don't want him to be a Patriot. I growing REAL tired of these prima dona types anyway. Clements ain't even worth Clements money, how the hell does AS think he is. Eff him. I say if he continues and holds out to week 10, we should wash our hands of him.

Will is hurt us? Probably, we'll just have to get someone else to step up. I do think Gay (if he can stay healthy) could have a good year, since its a contract year for him.

Dont say the 3 #1's too loud because Samuel might not fetch as much as you think from other teams.

The upcoming draft is strong defensively too especially at the position we must never name.

Another 1st round pick (or 2) in the 08 draft?? Or any good pick in that stacked,deep,defensively-oriented draft? :singing: :singing: :singing:

Admittedly you need to find a team willing to trade the pick and pay the money but, like with Seattle, when the season's about to begin the teams show added urgency.

Draft picks are overvalue in March, players are overvalued in August especially at key positions like CB.

Admittedly you need to find a team willing to trade the pick and pay the money but, like with Seattle, when the season's about to begin the teams show added urgency.

Draft picks are overvalue in March, players are overvalued in August especially at key positions like CB.

And it does seem that teams are willing to open up their checkbooks for Patriot players.

Trade what? He's a free agent.

You mean sign him and trade 6 weeks of him?

Based on the way the CBA sets up the franchise tag, it doesn't make sense to do anything until at least July 14th. Without a signed agreement, who would risk participating in any team activities? And who would sign an agreement before they needed to commit?

Let's hope this is the normal posturing that is a product of the franchised player, and that player and team agree on something when they need to.

However, if Asante thinks he's going to get Nate Clements money for just 1 year of solid CB play, he's going to have to find some other team. Let's not forget that before last season, the debate was whether Asante even merited being a starter or was better suited for the nickel position. The Pats aren't about to put him in that price range. Unless he's developed into the second coming of Mike Haynes, Asante just does not return equal value at that salary level.

Realistically, I can see a contract with an escalating salary if he maintains or increases his level of play at or above where he brought it last season. The team will definitely play hardball with this situation.

Odd, I was under the impression that every NFL player wanted to play in NE for the greatest coach in the world, AND play for peanuts. Huh, weird. So much for the "Patriot way" ;)

Jeez, man, do we have to go through this AGAIN :D

Same as any Franchised player. Peerless Price, John Abraham, take your pick. It happens every year.

If a team offers him a deal and he signs it that team loses two first rounders. The Patriots could waive that if they wanted to to accept anything they want.

Reiss is off by a day. The CBA says:
"Any Club designating a Franchise Player shall have until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on July 15 of the League Year (or, if July 15 falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday thereafter) for which the designation takes effect to sign the player to a multi-year contract or extension. After that date, the player may sign only a one-year Player Contract with his Prior Club for that season, and such Player Contract may not be extended until after the Club’s last regular season game.

After the criticism they got for the handling of the Branch situation last year (and yes, I know that that situation was different because Branch was under contract), I expect the Patriots will not be the first to blink here. I would be amazed if they trade him or do anything other than maintain their franchise tag.

Re: Samuel won't report to minicamp; feels mistreated

Sounds awfully familiar, right, Deion?

Id say trade him for Lance Briggs, or trade him for a number 1 and then turn that number 1 for lance briggs.. Samual is no Branch he has no leverage this yr.. He is getting a 8 mil raise for 1 yr..

Re: Samuel won't report to minicamp; feels mistreated

Good catch, Miguel. The point is that team and player will not make much progress on an agreement until the middle of July. It's not until then that we'll know whether there will be a protracted disagreement and possible trade or whether the player will sign with the team.

I don't expect to see Samuel involved in any team activities before then.

But he's not a unrestricted free agent. Any team that wants him is going to have to give up 2 #1's but the Patriots can, if they so choose, accept lesser compensation for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes