PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Samuel looking for $30 million guaranteed [10 years, $100M]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say sign Asante!! The money he is asking for is quite manageable. Didnt we pay Ty Law something like 25 million or more for his final contract.
30 mill guaranteed is what we paid him last year for 4 years. 100 mill part of the contract can we thought about when the time comes.

I say " SIGN ASANTE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say sign Asante!! The money he is asking for is quite manageable. Didnt we pay Ty Law something like 25 million or more for his final contract.
30 mill guaranteed is what we paid him last year for 4 years. 100 mill part of the contract can we thought about when the time comes.

I say " SIGN ASANTE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IndianPat spelled backward is Tap Naidne which is what you should be doing instead of giving serious commentary on this issue.

Last edited:
2 cbs day one.

All "WE" really have to do is sign Law for a reasonable price and than draft Dominique Rogers-Cromartie (Tennessee State) should be good to go IMO. I'm sure the Pats scouting could also find a gem in the 4th or 5th round much like Samuel. Jonathan Zenon, (LSU) sticks out in my mind. I only wish Tavious Polo (Florida-Atlantic) wasn't a freshmen that kid is going to be a beast in two years...remember that name!!!

Not bad for a 4th round pick who was expected to be a good nickle back at best ... I wish him well. He gave us 100% while he was here and he helped us get 3 rings ... no hating from me.

Not bad for a 4th round pick who was expected to be a good nickle back at best ... I wish him well. He gave us 100% while he was here and he helped us get 3 rings ... no hating from me.

Me either. Thanks for everything. Looking forward to seeing who are next star DB is.

i hope he goes to the jets with that contract....man would that kill the team even more...

Let him go. We'd be nuts to pay him that kind of money.

Something tells me that he's the type of player who scores big in the free agent market and then tails off after the money goes into his bank account. Anyway, a great defense begins with the line, not with the secondary.

Heck, there are plenty of cornerbacks in the 2008 NFL Draft. No cornerback in the NFL is worth that kind of money.

If Asante ends up on a losing team, how can he continue to keep playing at a dominant level? I mean, he will be recieving a sh^%&load of money, and if the team isn't winning a SB anytime soon, I really doubt he plays with the same motivation and energy.

Re: Samuel looking for $30 million guaranteed

With my limited about of Cap cred...

That sounds like a great deal to me.

He wont see the full 100 mil, with 30 gaurunteed...

Spread the 30 mil over 5 years ( solid years of production ) = 6 million a year in bonus
Then his regular salary paid decently with the bulk remaining in bonus money and incentaive late in the contract where he wont see them.

If Asante can be had for roughly 7-9 million a year, for the prime of his career, in a system he already knows. It's worth it... by the time his contract becomes a 10 mil a year contract the Salary Cap will be up to 140 a year anyways...

Re: Samuel looking for $30 million guaranteed

With my limited about of Cap cred...

That sounds like a great deal to me.

He wont see the full 100 mil, with 30 gaurunteed...

Spread the 30 mil over 5 years ( solid years of production ) = 6 million a year in bonus
Then his regular salary paid decently with the bulk remaining in bonus money and incentaive late in the contract where he wont see them.

If Asante can be had for roughly 7-9 million a year, for the prime of his career, in a system he already knows. It's worth it... by the time his contract becomes a 10 mil a year contract the Salary Cap will be up to 140 a year anyways...

Just to up your cap cred, that 30 he wants guaranteed is contract speak for he wants that in hand in the first 2-3 seasons. That would mean $25M or so in bonus and $5M or so in salary in his bank account between 2008 and 2010. Irrespective of how it hits the cap because his potential dead cap implicitly guarantees you can't cut him. Then by year 4 - 5 of the kind of deal he wants his salaries/additional roster bonuses would also be double digit (because his early windfall bonus money has dried up) meaning it would have been a $10M per contract all along. And the only way to make that deal continue to be cap manageable is what we call the old credit card method of converting some of his present earnings to more signing bonus along the way and pushing the hit for it out into those several remaining years. Only as his career progresses his cap hits become increasingly untenable as in high teens to low 20's (like the hits on Manning's 9 year $128M deal which because he's a QB who can play into his late 30's will either be absorbed or his deal will be redone by extending into his early 40's to accommodate all those earlier restructures). As a wrong side of 30 CB in 2012 they won't be able to add highly productive years onto his deal so when they have to part company with him all the money they kept pushing forward into his mid 30's will be dead cap.

So yeah, he wouldn't cost you $10M on the cap in the first 3-4 seasons, but that's because he would cost you more than that to be done with say 5 years down the road as those backend salaries you don't have to pay butt up against all the money you pushed forward to keep his cap hits down on a $10M per deal early on. Eventually what you actually paid a player is what ultimately has to be accounted for on the cap before you or he move on.

And what you pay him beyond it's cap impact impacts your overall salary structure. Brady is due for his 'til retirement extension in the next 12-18 months. He got $26M guaranteed in his 2005 deal and it was a relative bargain compared to what some of his so called peers got. Why should he remain amenable to a home town discount. If Asante were resigned here with a $30M guarantee, Brady should expect a $40M guarantee on his extension. And Wilfork would have to at least top $30M. And if Seymour remains, forget about the $18M he got guaranteed last time out...

Pioli has long contended you can't have more than a couple of players who are not even the highest paid but in the top 5 at their positions on the roster at any given time without it severely impacting your ability to field a championship team. The Colts are now up to 6 who are THE highest paid by contract value - which is why 15 of their 53 man opening day roster in 2007 were minimum salary rookies who had never taken a snap in the NFL. To an extent that is workable given their system. It is not remotely workable in ours.

Then you also have the issue of what really kills a cap, and that is overpaying for talent. Asante is simply not a double digit corner. It would be tough enough on the cap to pay that for a corner who was...

ROTFLMAO, Assante, you want what? Please don't let the door hit you in the ***** on your way out. No cornerback is worth that kind of money. Dropping the ball in the Super Bowl was indicative of how clutch you are. Not very.

...alllll the way back around to "Is He Worth It?"

I like your last line, Mo... "not sure any CB is."

When Ty Law's deal got crazy, off he went. When Lawyer Milloy became too expensive at safety, ditto...

Of course that means that we have to cope with the Ellis Hobbses of the world, or watziznane Richardsons, or Eugene Wilsons, etc. etc. etc.

But you know what we saw with Asante? He didn't really even "become" a coveted player until 06.

It seems that by the time a player is providing that kind of stat set with our D, it's his bloody contract year already. (We've talked about that preference for veteran linebackers, but the D-backs often are hit and miss draft prospects.)

At any rate, that seems very much like we just always have a young defensive backfield.

I.e., if your name is not Hester or Cromartie, and you came out in the last 5 years at D-back, people will have something negative to say about you, as a D-back. You're not proven yet... the only reason Hester and Cromartie seem so great is the return game.

And everybody gets torched sometimes... so "names" aren't worth dollars yet.

I'm not saying there's a rough equivalency among all CBs, but I think when we as fans do turn up a guy we think of as "distinctive," we should be very careful in measuring just how "distinctive" we believe the guy is.

Finally:

With VERY few exceptions, you can not simultaneously bemoan being "old" at defense, and scream about how badly we treat guys after their rookie deals are over - and after all, the whole Asante thing is about that first big splashy deal, the tagged year notwithstanding.

You want solvent? You want young? You put your foot down with Samuel, and don't ink a deal anywhere near this neighborhood. For that matter, get him down to half that guaranteed money, and get him down to the six-year range, so there's some semblance of reality here.

If he can get better money elsewhere, the Pats do not go in with a "beat any offer" mindset. They'll go in with a "we'll beat any team that makes that offer" mindset.

(as in, worth anything to ya to be on this team?)

I don't think that's likely to be the case for Asante Samuel, even if he never sniffs a SB again.

So yeah, I am ready for the long goodbye, but it's fine if the sides come to terms. I feel fine about the guy going out and making what he can. Not tearing out any hair... but we have to figure out how to patch that hole now, of course.

PFnV

Asante wants $100 million???

Saw it on Rotoworld, which cites the Herald which I refuse to link to.

Free agent Asante Samuel is rumored to be in search of a ten-year, $100 million contract, including $30 million up front.

Apparently he doesn't just want more than Nate Clements (seven years, $64 million), he wants much more. The way Samuel and his agent are speaking, it sounds like he doesn't have a preference of where to sign. Some GMs are pegging him as a system DB, but Samuel will likely go to the highest bidder.

That would be an absurd amount of money for a guy who I'm always going to remember as Reche Caldwell II.

(Edit - Just saw this thread got merged)

Last edited:
Re: Asante wants $100 million???

I wish I could go around asking for that kind of money :(

Hell, maybe I'll give it a shot just to see what will happen :D

Re: Asante wants $100 million???

Saw it on Rotoworld, which cites the Herald which I refuse to link to.

That would be an absurd amount of money for a guy who I'm always going to remember as Reche Caldwell II.

Somewhat old news by now - the $100 million wouldn't be "real" money. What is real is his call for $30 million guaranteed.

I think he can get that if he only demands minimal salaries on top of the bonus.

i.e $28 million guaranteed on a 7 year deal (yes, we all know it likely won't go that long) is pretty easy to stomach cap wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes