PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sammy Morris...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that if he's there the Pats should draft McFadden. I don't think they should. I think they will and should do what they can to move down and not give insane cash to someone that hasn't done squat in the NFL. All I am saying is how BB/Pioli see things isn't the same as how we do, and if they don't get what they see as a good deal to move down in the draft and they are stuck paying someone #2 money it may well end up being McFadden rather than give that cash to someone even less worthy of it. I hope Morris comes back, and I hope Maroney stays solid and improves to what I think he can be. But would this be much different than all of us sitting at home saying to ourselves "What? Another TE?" or "Another DL?"

Last edited:
Here's an interesting aspect of the McFadden dilemna. Think about the Steelers of the 70s or the Niners of the 80s, or even the Cowboys or the 90s or the 60s Packers. They never had to deal with such dilemnas. They never had to deal with the salary cap or ***ency and the ensuing annual player turnover. And those are the teams NE is generally measured against. Could you imagine if the Pats didnt have to hesitate for even a second to draft McFadden?? Not worry about whatever money he'll make. Because God knows theyve got plenty of actual money. Just not plenty of cap space. Could you imagine? McFadden couldnt get on this team fast enough. And if it didnt work out, so be it. We just cant continue to stack up this team year after year after year like so many of the great past dynasties could. Of course, that applies to other teams around the league. But other teams around the league dont have this thing down to a science quite like the Patriots. It just wouldnt be fair.

Could you imagine if the Pats didnt have to hesitate for even a second to draft McFadden?? Not worry about whatever money he'll make. Because God knows theyve got plenty of actual money. Just not plenty of cap space. Could you imagine? McFadden couldnt get on this team fast enough. And if it didnt work out, so be it. We just cant continue to stack up this team year after year after year like so many of the great past dynasties could. Of course, that applies to other teams around the league. But other teams around the league dont have this thing down to a science quite like the Patriots. It just wouldnt be fair.

So you concede that if money were not an issue, that from a talent perspective, McFadden should be the pick? Sounds right to me. Bah, who cares if the Pats are being "fair" to the rest of the league. They should do everything they are allowed to do to win. It's just the 49er's misfortune that they traded away their (high) 1st round pick to us.

Last edited:
I remember thinking that I loved the Welker signing.

I loved the Moss signing.

I loved the Brady and Thomas signing.

The Morris signing I didn't understand.

Is there any news on Morris? I wish he were still with the team. Great signing by Bill and Scott.

Is he the reason the Patriots don't take McFadden in the draft?
I don't believe you could have watched Morris and not understadn why he was signed.

Don't worry about McFadden. BB just doesn't use Bs the way you want him to. If we had McFadden, BB would likely use him the same way, and you would be *****ing about McFadden and looking to the next college RB. We ain't the Bills.

Maroney has a decent yards per carry, and most of his carries are coming on draw plays. Good of guys like Faulk (teams expect pass when Faulk is in) but not good for Maroney. (Teams figure run when he is in and Maroney not only gets jammed but doesn't have the advantage of run scheme blocking on a draw.)

The running game is getting the job done. Do youk know who leads the NFL in first downs via the run? The Pats.

If we have a high pick, I'd rather see a WMG-type player (Long) or a dominant LT or a solid 3-4 ILB if such a thing is available early.

In answering the original question, I'm not sure if the poster realizes that Morris is on IR and won't be back this season.

Morris was signed as a backup RB that was good enough to be a starter, and was a good pass catcher as well. That's all one needs to understand and Morris in fact did exactly what he was supposed to.

As far as those writing off Maroney, I understand why his dancing behind the line causes some to question his longterm viability, but the bottom line for this season is this:

1. Through the first 10 games Maroney was injured or withheld to give him more time to heal (had they needed him I suspect he could have played)

2. The Patriots gameplan through the first 10 games didn't feature the RB period -with Brady averaging 4 TD passes a game it didn't need to.

So both of those factors need to be considered when looking at Maroney's 2007 season thus far.

Very few are giving him the credit he deserves for a very good game against the Ravens - a performance that truly made the difference between a win and loss.

All that being said, if the Patriots have a shot at McFadden they need to seriously consider signing such a game breaking RB.

Last edited:
So you concede that if money were not an issue, that from a talent perspective, McFadden should be the pick? Sounds right to me. Bah, who cares if the Pats are being "fair" to the rest of the league. They should do everything they are allowed to do to win. It's just the 49er's misfortune that they traded away their (high) 1st round pick to us.

Yes, I would say if cap werent a factor, and we were just looking at it from an upside talent perspective, then bring McFadden in. He seems to be the most talented player in college coming in. And if he does turn out to be a stud in the NFL, adding him to the roster would just be crazy. But based on the injury risk all RBs deal with, cap space, contracts, etc etc, its probably not gonna happen. But in a perfect 1980s NFL world, we'd draft McFadden and continue to punish the league relentlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back