PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Same Old Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there over 4 minutes left when this penalty occurred?

yes but with no timeouts, thats like 1:30 left in the game. you cant exactly kick it to them and expect to get it back with much time :)20 or so )
:confused:

Wasn't there over 4 minutes left when this penalty occurred?

Yeah but I wasn't exactly encouraged with how often we got the ball in the end zone last night. To me, that was probably our only chance to win. ;)

yes but with no timeouts, thats like 1:30 left in the game. you cant exactly kick it to them and expect to get it back with much time :)20 or so )
:confused:

Yeah but I wasn't exactly encouraged with how often we got the ball in the end zone last night. To me, that was probably our only chance to win. ;)

I'm saying it's also possible, if not likely, that Manning drives the Colts to another score even if Thomas doesn't commit the penalty and we score a TD.

Last edited:
If you saw the Bills-Jets game, you'd like them even more. Jets shoulda won 40-10 but Brett tried to keep the Bills in it until the end. Unless the Bills play 100% better, find a running game, an OL, good special teams and a QB that doesn't make poor decisions then they will lose handily.

I saw only the 1st half and some highlights but enough to reinforce the fact that the Bills can't/won't hold on the rest of the way. There aren't a ton of teams who can come out of the gate like gangbusters and hold onto that level for 16-19 weeks. The Bills just aren't that much of a powerhouse(hijack over ;))

I'm saying it's also possible, if not likely, that Manning drives the Colts to another score even if Thomas doesn't commit the penalty and we score a TD.

He didn't do it after he got the ball back despite completing a couple of passes. But I think they did run the ball for two downs while throwing for one so I think you may have a point. As you can tell, the alcohol was flowing a little last night. :cool:

Andy,

I really liked the way the team played last night and am much more positive about the season now than I was yesterday. We totally took it to the Colts and almost came out of there with hardfought win. Given our injuries and lack of experience at key positions, this was a very encouraging game. Cassel is now exceeding expectations and I actually think our QB situation is looking very good at this point.

Also, there's absolutlely nothing wrong with being a homer/fanboy. But I am starting to think that your need to put your hands over your ears whenever you hear the slightest negativity in anyone's analysis is slightly deranged. That or, given your level of understanding of the game, you are simply are in awe of some of the posters here who have a firm grasp on reality and are rational and objective when talking about football.

Cheers,
Steve

I was actually encouraged about last night. Yeah, we lost. But we know we aren't as good as with Brady and have a lower margin for error. But to go on the road against a good and desperate team without our RB and to play them to a virtual tie speaks well for our chances the rest of the way IMO. Honestly, I am shocked at the accuracy Cassel has shown in the short to medium passing game. Just gotta make a couple more plays next time.

BINGO!

I was actually encouraged by last nites performance with virtual duct-tape in both backfields. I love this teams heart, desire and focus lately. The heart of champions - not that they will be- but man, they are improving each week and plod along as the injuries mount. How can you NOT love this team?

BINGO!

I was actually encouraged by last nites performance with virtual duct-tape in both backfields. I love this teams heart, desire and focus lately. The heart of champions - not that they will be- but man, they are improving each week and plod along as the injuries mount. How can you NOT love this team?

Serious question, albeit somewhat OT......

You've been pretty down on Cassel. How did last night impact your impression of him?

.....I come here and see a slew of people feeling the need to assign blame and criticize.
-snip-
Still haven't figured out how choosing a player or coach to place blame on makes someone feel better about a loss.

In a way It's self-protective. It says, you could see what went wrong as it was happening and you wouldn't have been so dumb, so careless, so hot-headed as to make that crucial mistake.

It's disheartening to lose a very winnable game like this one, especially to the Colts--especially to a 50+ yard Vinatiery kick. I guess some have to get mad at whomever they feel is making them feel so bad.

I bet none of us feel 1/2 as bad as Thomas or Gaffney.

Now Bill, he doesn't seem particularly ashamed or embarrassed. Would it help if he did, I wonder?

Serious question, albeit somewhat OT......

You've been pretty down on Cassel. How did last night impact your impression of him?

I thought his game elevated in the ST Louis game - and last nite the learning curve took off again. He IS getting better and I now announce him a decent QB. It's as if someone turned the light switch on and his pocket presence lit up. His read progressions still need work - but it's better. His composure is amazing compared to what it was. He's becoming a "man" before our eyes. He's no Tom Brady - and who is? But shoot - he's filling in well and has blown me away the past two weeks. His confidence is growing, his teammates beleive in him. I don't know what kind of magic BB is performing, but everyone is buying into it and it shows.

I was wrong about his ability to learn, grow and become a decent QB. I admit it - gleefully too. I'm pleasantly suprised, sir.

Now, all we need to do is ensure that BB never wears anything other than a cut-up hoodie ;)

Last edited:
I thought his game elevated in the ST Louis game - and last nite the learning curve took off again. He IS getting better and I now announce him a decent QB. It's as if someone turned the light switch on and his pocket presence lit up. His read progressions still need work - but it's better. His composure is amazing compared to what it was. He's becoming a "man" before our eyes. He's no Tom Brady - and who is? But shoot - he's filling in well and has blown me away the past two weeks. His confidence is growing, his teammates beleive in him. I donlt know what kind of magic BB is performing, but everyone is buying into it shows.

I was wrong about his ability to learn, grow and become a decent QB. I admit it - gleefully too. I'm pleasantly suprised, sir.

Now, all we need to do is ensure that BB never wears anything other than a cut-up hoodie ;)

I'm glad you've come to like what you're seeing out of Cassel. I hope you find it makes the games more enjoyable to watch his progression that way it has for me.

And here's to hoping that his setbacks are minor.:eat3:

FWIW should we somehow end up playing them again, BB didn't give Dungy much fodder to study. If not for mistakes, the Pats played well enough to win and not much more than that. They pretty much just did what they had to, no more.

Fear the wildcat though lol:D

I've already put this game behind me. As I stated last week, and got widely panned, the Colts game was just not that important.

It would have been nice to win but the next 3 are the important ones. The next three will make or break the season. So I was encouraged by the way the team played last night on a hostile field against a still pretty good team in a must win situation for them. Cassel once again showed improvement.

We finally had our OL back. We should have either Jordon or Morris back soon. Other than Wheatley, I don't think we lost anyone to injury.

Now we take care of our business againts the Bills, Jets, and Fins and the playoffs are certainly within reach.

Last edited:
We lost because the Colts played pretty much major mistake free, coaching & execution and we didn't. As I concluded in the Poll thread of why we lost, my confidence in the 2008 Patriots increased despite the loss. All our mistakes are correctable and unusual. I'm very pleased with the emergence of our youngsters and my major concern is our DBs' health.

I came here today with the following thuoughts in mind:
-Tough loss. Felt we had the game in hand, then that penalty happened, and all of sudden we are out of time.
-That was the fastest game I can ever remember
-Disappointing way to lose, but I feel better about the rest of the season after that game than I did before it
-Rough call on Thomas, looked like the right call, but hard to villify a guy for playing hard. Damn how does Gaffney not catch that? First 50+ FG in SEVEN YEARS????
-And finally, that was a good game, touch one to lose, I thought we played well on the road, and very much deserved to win, I wonder what Patsfans are saying, and.....
.....I come here and see a slew of people feeling the need to assign blame and criticize.

Still havent figured out how choosing a player or coach to place blame on makes someone feel better about a loss.

Thank you. Every game it is the same cast of characters complaining about the same people.

Overall the Pats played very well. A handful of bad plays or bad decisions were the difference between winning and losing. Some players didn't step up when was needed, but overall it was a solid effort that got away from them. I would have been far more upset if the Pats laid an egg.

That I disagree with.
Thats why it seemed to hit like a ton of bricks.
We seemed completely in control.
I remember thinking after the 9 yard gain, run it so we run down the clock before we score.
I think its possible, if not likely, that we would have milked most or all of the clock away before scoring the game winning TD.
Then, bam, and while it felt like the 3rd quarter, we have 3rd and 16 and wont get the ball back.

Patriots are improving each week in front of our eyes

I ABSOLUTELY agree.

Ask yourself, is there really a team in the AFC you think we cannot beat, or the NFL for that matter??

I wouldn't bet on us against the Giants, that's for sure, but we COULD win.

I like our chances....

There was so much that was encouraging last night -- Cassel's poise, the play of the O-line, the fact that the secondary didn't give up big plays, the running game, the defense against the run. Overall, the discipline and concentration in a hostile atmosphere.

Now all we need is a pass rush, some effective red zone passes and some pass plays above ten yards and we'll have a pretty decent team.

Last edited:

Actually, I don't think that's the jinx. Do you remember Matt Cassel at San Diego? He was experimenting with a beard. (You know, you're away on business for a fortnight, no wife to tell you to shave, you can kind of try it out. They got beaten like a rented mule and he got home. I assume his wife told him "Off with that straw!" But last night there it was again. If your wife won't tell you, Matt, I will! The beard is lame AND it's a jinx!)

Official Media Player of the New England Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye