IcyPatriot

Wall of Fame
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
He's not to happy to be on the bench.

Doc ... is right on this one. Sam is awfull on defense and holds the ball
to much on offense. Not a great pickup for ainge but it was a gamble
and the cost was very little. Even House has not looked to good. It's to bad Tony allen had that injury because we could have really used his speed in these playoffs.

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/05/sam-cassell-grouches-about-playing-time/

As Odenized so aptly put it over the weekend, Sam Cassell hasn’t been playing with very much Ubuntu these days. Actually, he hasn’t been playing with much of anything, as Doc Rivers has had him firmly planted on the bench.

When Cassell does get in the game, he’s not only playing terribly, but he’s also getting yelled at by Paul Pierce for not properly running the plays. Frustration has been building up for the emotional and talkative Cassell, and it was only a matter of time before it spilled over.

Following the C’s first Playoff road win, Sam I Am admitted to the Boston press corps that he’s unhappy with his lack of playing time.

“This is my first year (in the NBA) that I sat out in a playoff game,” Cassell said. “I didn’t get any playing time in four games. That’s my first time ever. It boggles not just me but anyone around, like, ‘Why’s he not playing?’ I’m not discouraged, but it’s tough, ain’t no lie. It was tough because I know I can play.”

Sam, for the love of Larry Bird, you’re averaging 4 points per game this postseason. Most troubling, you’re not even dishing out 2 assists when given the chance to play. And did I mention that you turn 40 soon? Just be thankful that someone is allowing you to wear a pro basketball uniform.

Last edited:
i was so happy when they picked him up. but hes played like dog ****. im glad hes on the bench. pj brown on the other hand has been great. where would the celts be without him?

i was so happy when they picked him up. but hes played like dog ****. im glad hes on the bench. pj brown on the other hand has been great. where would the celts be without him?

Absolutely agree ... Ray allen has been doing a pretty good job on defense also. I"m amazed at how Doc has been able to hide that we don't have a legit backup PG or a legit small defender off the bench. It should have been Tony Allen but as we all know that plan was derailed.

EDIT: Chauncey Billups just introduced ... he dances better than he plays ... same with Sheed. :bricks:

Last edited:
I"m amazed at how Doc has been able to hide that we don't have a legit backup PG or a legit small defender off the bench.
i agree. i think doc has done a great job with this team. rondo just needs to take the shots the defense is giving him. the entire offense opens up when he does.

I knew this would happen when we picked him up. He never got along with Pierce or Allen before he came to the Celtics and now he's threatening to really screw with the chemistry. We need to live or die with Rondo, for better or worse, but if Cassell is gonna ***** because he's on the bench then cut him now for all I care. He brings nothing to the table.

I knew this would happen when we picked him up. He never got along with Pierce or Allen before he came to the Celtics and now he's threatening to really screw with the chemistry. We need to live or die with Rondo, for better or worse, but if Cassell is gonna ***** because he's on the bench then cut him now for all I care. He brings nothing to the table.

And I wonder if this is why we saw him tonight instead of Eddie House. Great stuff to be saying after a win in the Eastern Conference finals on the road. Good work Cassell, way to be the team guy we all knew you were.

they picked up Cassell specifically because of how Detroit played the Celtics during the regular season. The Pistons pressured House, and EH had problems getting the ball up the court, and subsequently, the Celtics into their offense. Eddie is not a PG. He can play minutes at PG during an 82 game season, but in specific games/match-ups (the playoffs), he can be exploited. When you get it past half court with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, it's not good. Especially since the C's like to work the ball into the post, which takes time off each possession. The C's knew they needed a back up ball handler, and preferably one with experience for the post season, since Rondo is a 20 year old, 2nd year player. Cassell was the best player available. The issue with Sam I Am, is that he shoots to much, and doesn't know the plays. Also, Rondo simply doesn't shoot when he's supposed to. Rondo playing better, means Cassell plays less. Cassell should be getting 8-10 minutes max in this series. House really can't play versus the Pistons, cuz he can't defend anyone other than Hunter, who is still too quick for him. I love House, but this series is a bad match up for him. I'd guess that the C's will find a better fitting back up PG this offseason.

they picked up Cassell specifically because of how Detroit played the Celtics during the regular season. The Pistons pressured House, and EH had problems getting the ball up the court, and subsequently, the Celtics into their offense. Eddie is not a PG. He can play minutes at PG during an 82 game season, but in specific games/match-ups (the playoffs), he can be exploited. When you get it past half court with 15 seconds left on the shot clock, it's not good. Especially since the C's like to work the ball into the post, which takes time off each possession. The C's knew they needed a back up ball handler, and preferably one with experience for the post season, since Rondo is a 20 year old, 2nd year player. Cassell was the best player available. The issue with Sam I Am, is that he shoots to much, and doesn't know the plays. Also, Rondo simply doesn't shoot when he's supposed to. Rondo playing better, means Cassell plays less. Cassell should be getting 8-10 minutes max in this series. House really can't play versus the Pistons, cuz he can't defend anyone other than Hunter, who is still too quick for him. I love House, but this series is a bad match up for him. I'd guess that the C's will find a better fitting back up PG this offseason.

They gotta let Rondo lose. He's playing tentatively out there. Give him 40+ minutes tonite, let him stay in a rhythm, and it won't matter who they bring in to spell him for the few other minutes. As I said in another thread, he's single-handedly taken over more playoff games (2) than any members of the so-called new Big 3.

Last edited:
They gotta let Rondo lose. He's playing tentatively out there. Give him 40+ minutes tonite, let him stay in a rhythm, and it won't matter who they bring in to spell him for the few other minutes. As I said in another thread, he's single-handedly taken over more playoff games (2) than any members of the so-called new Big 3.

I love Rondo. I've been whining about him & 40 minutes since the 1st round. No argument from me there.

Well Sam, people get benched when they aren't doing good. Get the **** over it.

Last edited:
Well Sam, people get benched when they aren't doing good. Get the **** over it.
sam casell blows case closed. hes a f-cking head case.:mad: he would never see the court if it was up to me.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back