Welcome to PatsFans.com

Salt the North Sea

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by jczxohn1, Mar 4, 2007.

1. jczxohn1

jczxohn1 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Qui Gon's post reminded me of a pet theory of mine. (Much like opinions, everyone's got one.)
    The premise is the ultimate harm of global warming is that the "Oceanic Conveyor Belt" will stop due to glaciers and Greenland melting and lowering the salinity responsible for cold, salty water to fall to the bottom. This would stop or alter the Gulf Stream in a major way, setting up conditions for another Ice Age.
    Proposal- Using single hull tankers, which should be eliminated from crude oil service, salt mined in Russia could be sprayed around the North Sea. Sensors could be placed underwater to tell of the most advantageous locations. Lots of details and international cooperation to work out, but it sounds like a pro-active approach. Ultimately it woouldn't be a permanant solution, but could buy us time until alternative energy sources and new technology bring carbon emission levels under control.
    At the least, sensors, for determining just where and over how large an area the "drop zone" of the Conveyor Belt is, should be deployed. If nothing else, it would give us a baseline from which we could determine the extent of the problem.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  2. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

I like it!! I like the way you're thinking here. An emergency measure, sure, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to survive.

I've heard similar theories on this potential problem of the ocean currents stopping due to decreased salinity. Worth using those ultra-super computers to figure out how to do it.

//
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Good thinking....but I have one problem will all this....

Isn't global warming a myth? I heard the Exxon Mobil execs say that....

:)
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

It's an interesting idea, but I wonder how much salt would be needed and what impact it would have on ocean life. Also, I know there are some differences among different types of salts. That would have to be considered. Nonetheless, it certainly sounds like something to be looked at. You should consider posting the idea in a global warming forum where you might get some response from people more familiar with the scientific issues.
  5. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yes, there are different types of "salts". Thousands of kinds. And the amount of salt to off-set the fresh water influx would have to be enormous. But not undoable, I would guess.

//
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 1 / -9

Get The Paper Towels Out Haliburton Spilled Some Oil In The Red Sea

Oh Jesus H Christ Help Us

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2007