PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sally Jenkins again hammers Goodell and Wells Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodell won't be terminated. If he can survive the Ray Rice thing, he will survive this. There are millions of people who want him gone, but there are about 28-32 people (NFL owners) who want him to stay and those are the people who really only matter.

Sadly, if Goodell gets terminated after all of this, I am not very confident we will get a much better replacement. I certainly don't think Sponge Bob will push hard to keep an anti-Pats person from assuming the job.

I miss Paul Tagliabue.

This is great to read but how bad out the loc

Because most of them are cowards and/or incompetent, there are exceptions, Mike Curran has done alright, Mike Reiss has raised some questions. There's no excuse for clowns like Felger and squeaky. I actually heard Felger yesterday said that Brady might not want to take this to court and he better be very careful because the NFL has some "small" things they haven't exposed yet. Its mind boggling how obtuse some of these guys are. Felgers a hater disguised as a local guy but he's shown his true colors over the years.

Felger keeps on spreading his theory as fact, but let's say Goodell does have a bombshell that he held back. He can never use it now. Say Wells found proof that Brady did something worse than having a general understand of something happening to the footballs. How bad would it look for Goodell if he let it out that he actually had something on the Patriots and held it back out of the Wells Report. Depending on what he had held back, it could be worse for him than Brady. What would the public do if they found out Goodell covered up worse forms of cheating than what the Wells Reports alleges? That might be enough to get him thrown out of office.

So Felger is suggesting that Goodell would commit career suicide to fight Brady in court. It really makes no sense. If Goodell had more than what they put in the Wells Report, that info became unusable the second it wasn't included in the Wells Report.

Felger keeps on spreading his theory as fact, but let's say Goodell does have a bombshell that he held back. He can never use it now. Say Wells found proof that Brady did something worse than having a general understand of something happening to the footballs. How bad would it look for Goodell if he let it out that he actually had something on the Patriots and held it back out of the Wells Report. Depending on what he had held back, it could be worse for him than Brady. What would the public do if they found out Goodell covered up worse forms of cheating than what the Wells Reports alleges? That might be enough to get him thrown out of office.

So Felger is suggesting that Goodell would commit career suicide to fight Brady in court. It really makes no sense. If Goodell had more than what they put in the Wells Report, that info became unusable the second it wasn't included in the Wells Report.
I actually heard him a couple of days back implying that we can't trust the AEI report as reliable because the science is too difficult to understand.

Anyone who thinks ol' Roger would ever hold back anything that incriminates the Patriots is a blind fool.

Sadly, if Goodell gets terminated after all of this, I am not very confident we will get a much better replacement. I certainly don't think Sponge Bob will push hard to keep an anti-Pats person from assuming the job.

I miss Paul Tagliabue.

IDK, you can't do much worse than Goodell. He is an inflexible, power hunger despot. Tagliabue may have been too lenient, but he knew how to work issues with subtlety and not the hammer that Goodell does. Everything Goodell does turns to crap (Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Bountygate, Spygate, Deflategate) where a more adept commissioner would have done a far better job.

What they need is a tough but fair Commissioner who know how to be a diplomat and manage the press. Or the antithesis of Goodell.

I actually heard him a couple of days back implying that we can't trust the AEI report as reliable because the science is too difficult to understand.

I used to like Felger, even when he adopted the contrarian persona. But now he just trolls Pats fans for ratings. I don't believe he believes 90% of what he says on the air. He just knows how to push Pats' fans buttons. He really has made his show unlistenable. I used to enjoy it.

Anyone who thinks ol' Roger would ever hold back anything that incriminates the Patriots is a blind fool.

In order to save the league and team from further exposure, you can make a case that he held back on Spygate (re: have the tapes destroyed). However,in that situation, he destroyed them AFTER he let the rope go for the guillotine.

In order to save the league and team from further exposure, you can make a case that he held back on Spygate (re: have the tapes destroyed). However,in that situation, he destroyed them AFTER he let the rope go for the guillotine.

And the tapes had evidence of other teams doing the same thing

the NFL has some "small" things they haven't exposed yet

---
I'm sure they have. Like how the Jaguars caught the Colts ballboy and his hidden ball needle... among other things.

Don't think they would want to expose any of that.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 4m4 minutes ago
Spoke to Stan Veuger, one of the writers of AEI's analysis of the Wells Report. Told me the NFL hasn't contacted them about their report.
Makes sense. They think it is not in their best interest. They consider the matter closed.

I would assume (bad word) that the NFL will make motion to officially explore the report once TB12 and team present it as "new information".

Even then I doubt it.

And the tapes had evidence of other teams doing the same thing

Most likely.

People who contend Goodell destroyed the tapes to prevent further damage to the Pats is not paying attention to which teams Goodell gives slaps on the wrist and on which teams he imposes draconian punishments.

If there were damaging footage on those tapes the Pats would have already been overpunished for it.

Doug Kyed ‏@DougKyedNESN 4m4 minutes ago
Spoke to Stan Veuger, one of the writers of AEI's analysis of the Wells Report. Told me the NFL hasn't contacted them about their report.

When contacted for why the NFL has yet to contact AEI about their report, NFL General Counsel, Jeff Pash, responded:

chubb-set_2142209c.jpg

Most likely.

People who contend Goodell destroyed the tapes to prevent further damage to the Pats is not paying attention to which teams Goodell gives slaps on the wrist and on which teams he imposes draconian punishments.

If there were damaging footage on those tapes the Pats would have already been overpunished for it.

The Jets had filmed the Patriots the same way at the last game in Foxboro and the Patriots stopped them. The Patriots told this to the NFL after spygate broke but the jets responded that the Patriots had given permission, the Patriots said they had not but guess who the NFL decides to believe?

Per the CBA, the parties must give the other side all facts they intend to use (discovery) three calendar days before the hearing or they are prevents from using it.

Exponent's report shredded and authors said to be imcompetent or worse. Curious that they remain silent.

The NFL simply wants the news cycle to pass the story by so it will go away and history will follow their own tale of lies instead of the truth. Exponent would put themselves in the crossbeams if they defend their findings because they cannot be replicated, thus are not scientific findings, so they to want this just to go away rather than to be put in the position of having to publicly try and replicate results they can't replicate. Pretending the AEI Report doesn't exist is their strategy.

Last edited:
I used to like Felger, even when he adopted the contrarian persona. But now he just trolls Pats fans for ratings. I don't believe he believes 90% of what he says on the air. He just knows how to push Pats' fans buttons. He really has made his show unlistenable. I used to enjoy it.
I go back to his show on 1510...he was much more objective on the Pats but his big thing was the Pats can't beat Denver & they can't cover Rod Smith...
His weekly segment w josh miller was really good radio...
Problem is the signal was awful & not many people ever heard felger pre trolling days...

Jesus, the head guy couldn't come up with a single study they conducted that didn't support whoever was paying for it.

That's typical, though, even for completely ethical scientists, at least for a study that gets completed and published. Let me explain.

1) The payer asks you, the expert, to do a little literature work & study what is at the crux of the dispute, so that you can give them an informed scientific opinion (with no real lab work, jut your thoughts) on the matter.

2) Based upon your initial thoughts, they decide to pay you to do a full study or not. If they decide "not" because you tell them that they might not be right, then you are thanked and paid for your time. Your thoughts never get shared with anyone else. I've done this- told them that they may be wrong, and our work together was done. They decide either go to someone else as an expert or decide that "gee, maybe we should try to settle".

3) If they decide "do the study" then you start. They ask you to contact them at the very first hint of anything that may not fit their theory. If this happens, they tell you to stop right now. Then you are thanked and are paid for your time. Your preliminary results never get shared with anyone. I've done this too- told them that my preliminary data makes it look like they may be wrong, and so our work together was done. They either go to someone else as an expert or decide that "gee, maybe we should try to settle".

4) If everything looks to be supporting their theory, you complete all of the work and write it up in a neat little package that you then have to defend in deposition and in court. These are the studies that get published & shared. They only make it to the end if they generally agree with what the payer wanted or at least contradict some of the claims of the other side. Otherwise, all parties would have bailed out much, much sooner.

I can only guess that Exponent was not willing to settle for the low pay they would have gotten if they stopped work as soon as they realized that if Walt Anderson's memory as to using the logo gauge is right, then they had NOTHING. They instead tried and tried to wiggle in the wind until they could hand-wave their way through a halfassed argument and get paid in full.

Or maybe Exponent wasn't even the first lab to look at it, but Wells thanked the others and paid them for their time, then those thoughts/preliminary results (not fitting with his agenda?) were never shared with anyone else. Remember when they were supposed to be working with Columbia? What happened there?

Last edited:
The mike walsh tapes were shown later. Majority of the film contain SD cheerleaders. Wish they had released the tapes. But the media at that time including people like steve young were spreading the rhetoric - "They can go back into halftime ,check the signals and boom,,know where the blitz is coming from " . The irony is that no one blamed brady or dimished brady's credentials even though according to them he benefitted the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes