Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just read this on NFL.COM.

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Free Agency 2009, Salary cap

The salary cap will grow in 2009.

Because teams didn’t spend as much as they were supposed to under the collective bargaining agreement the past three years, teams were notified Wednesday that the salary cap will increase over $4 million to $127 million for this coming year, according to sources with two NFL teams. The collective bargaining agreement calls for cap adjustment down if teams spend over the cap in cash and adjustment up if they don’t spend up to the cap.

It defies the recession and logic, but just before free agency, teams actually will have more flexibility and salary-cap room. This is tremendous news for teams such as the Colts and Panthers, who are pressed against the cap, and not such good news for teams such as the Buccaneers and Chiefs, who were way under the cap. Now their advantage is somewhat compromised.

Teams believed they would see a mild increase in the salary cap, but this is bigger than teams expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oddly enough, Miguel was spot on...who'd have thought it possible? ;)

"Just read this too while watching the Red Wings game, trade Cassel we are looking at 17M+ in free space "

I hope you are are right.
Can't stand the Red Wings at all.

Wow way to defeat the purpose of the cap. If the Colts had a tight cap this year then they and all the other teams should have had to deal with it. The cap is supposed to be about parity, if you spend to much you have less wiggle room, plain and simple.

But I also understand it's a business thing too, as the Collective Bargaining Agreement indicates. It does make sense but it seems unfair. Ah well, at least the Pats also benefit I suppose.

"Just read this too while watching the Red Wings game, trade Cassel we are looking at 17M+ in free space "

I hope you are are right.
Can't stand the Red Wings at all.

Yeah they are pretty good

It bugs me just because it helps the Colts. Would bug me more if the Jets hadn't gotten rid of Favre's contract.

As long as all teams play by the same rules; I am ok with this.

It bugs me just because it helps the Colts. Would bug me more if the Jets hadn't gotten rid of Favre's contract.

=====================================================

Jets have more cap space then the pats, who would of thought that a year ago?

I'm starting to think the cap means very little, remember the Redskins a few years back and how everyone thought they would be in cap hell but continued to make a big splash in FA's. 127 mil is quite a payroll for 65 guy's.

Oddly enough, Miguel was spot on...who'd have thought it possible? ;)
Yeah, I was just thinking - isn't this old news? Didn't we already now this year's cap would be $127 million?

Thanks Miguel!

=====================================================

Jets have more cap space then the pats, who would of thought that a year ago?

I'm starting to think the cap means very little, remember the Redskins a few years back and how everyone thought they would be in cap hell but continued to make a big splash in FA's. 127 mil is quite a payroll for 65 guy's.

the jets don't have a starting QB or a decent receiving threat.......the pats have 2 starting QB's and are set at WR.......

and hold onto your hat.......the other shoe (LTBE's) has not fallen on the jets yet

the jets don't have a starting QB or a decent receiving threat.......the pats have 2 starting QB's and are set at WR.......

and hold onto your hat.......the other shoe (LTBE's) has not fallen on the jets yet

=======================================================

Jets have lots of holes to fill, LTBE's, I'm just saying there are lots of ways to play the cap game.

I rather have the draft picks the Pats have then more cap space.

I was under the impression that Miguel was working under the assumption that the cap would be $123m and the Pats adjusted cap would be $127m. This news would mean that the cap is $127m and the Pats adjusted cap would be $131m. But then, I haven't really been paying attention.

I was under the impression that Miguel was working under the assumption that the cap would be $123m and the Pats adjusted cap would be $127m. This news would mean that the cap is $127m and the Pats adjusted cap would be $131m. But then, I haven't really been paying attention.

Correct. Miguel has their adjusted cap at $131M, which puts them at $8.7M under. Free up Cassels $14.6M cap hit, and the Patriots would be sitting at $23.3M Under.

But I also understand it's a business thing too, as the Collective Bargaining Agreement indicates. It does make sense but it seems unfair. Ah well, at least the Pats also benefit I suppose.

Yeah if this cap keeps growing, not only will the Brady-Moss connection will be here the rest of it's good years but we won't have to worry about losing any of Wilfork/Mankins/Merriweather/Mayo, some of the guys still on rookie contracts that will require significant raises in order to keep the team at the level it is. The rest of the essential parts are at or around their max earnings already.

It doesn't completely defeat the purpose of the cap, at least it prohibits situations like in MLB where the Yankees and Sox triple or quadruple the payrolls of some teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes