PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Salary Cap: Any Chance We Can Kill It??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen this guy's posts on another football forum (NFL Forum :: - New England Patriots) and I can tell you that this isn't a joke, and that his inane usage of bold/italic/underlines as well as asterisks and tildes is quite genuine and he does really think up these absolutely ridiculous schemes to make the Patriots into some sort of mega-powerhouse, and generally they lack cohesive thought to make them segway decently from the land of make believe into reality.

Last edited:
One question that is probably fair to ask is does the cap make the league more competitive. If the answer is yes. It should stay. Irrespecitve of which team you support.
I agree..it IS good for the sport...I started out when I was young..a fan of the 4 sports...less so of hockey..More so of the other 3.. There was NO football team here but I loved the sport, I was a fan of ALL sports and I have seen leagues expand and to me really fail as free agency has changed the sports incredibly.
To me basketball is NOT the same at all..and neither is baseball...THEY lost me sometime in the 70s..and while I will watch a game here or there..my LOVE for it is gone. Same for b-ball even though the Celts are solid again. The NFL to me has survived with the most parody and is the strongest league BECAUSE of that. I don't know how old the OP was..but maybe he wishes for leagues to be like they were 50 years ago..before Curt Flood..and how it all changed the games. To me the ONLY sport close is football and while there are small changes needed..rookie salaries for the top picks reduced...it is BY FAR the best league!! Parity IS part of that and the salary cap helps that happen. It's NOT perfect..but it is the best solution.

Last edited:
Please people, it is parity.

Parody is what the OP made of himself with his inane "Football is not baseball" mantra that meant the opposite of what he thinks it meant.

Last edited:
I hope you just spewed this garbage to be funny. First they offered Mankins the going rate. Second the Pats along with just about every other team, with the exception of the Jets are operating with the belief that the cap will be back in place with the next CBA. If the cap goes away you will see the Pats be among the higher spenders. Regardless of what some choose to be Kraft will spend money and he has one of the highest grossing teams in the league.

Drew Bledsoe's contract says hi.

for one tell me were in my post did i call the pats cheap my point was to the OP that the pats are still going to work like there is a CAP

Last edited:
for one tell me were in my post did i call the pats cheap my point was to the OP that the pats are still going to work like there is a CAP

Maybe I misunderstood what you said. But the reason they haven't given Mankins the extra couple of Mil that he wants is because the Pats know that there will be a cap or at the very least expect a cap. If they were operating in a cap free environment I have no doubt that Mankins and the Pats would have come to terms by now. So I disagree that the Pats would still operate as if there was a cap. I think they would still operate within the Market and most likely wouldn't set the market. But I don't think they would balk over a million or two for a guy they really wanted.

:eat3:

Last edited:
Maybe I misunderstood what you said. But the reason they haven't given Mankins the extra couple of Mil that he wants is because the Pats know that there will be a cap or at the very least expect a cap. If they were operating in a cap free environment I have no doubt that Mankins and the Pats would have come to terms by now. So I disagree that the Pats would still operate as if there was a cap. I think they would still operate within the Market and most likely wouldn't set the market. But I don't think they would balk over a million or two for a guy they really wanted.

:eat3:

i agree and they still have to pay Brady,

Please people, it is parity.

Parody is what the OP made of himself with his inane "Football is not baseball" mantra that meant the opposite of what he thinks it meant.

That's irony not parody...like claiming you aren't deadset against the cap while going out of your way to shoot it down.

Parody is imitating something to make fun of it, like the posts here making fun of Felger's knee jerk response about the Patriots being cheap when the subject of players leaving for the rich teams came up.

So I guess we're pretty much all in agreement? :)

All except ME, that is!! :D

For the record: The benefits of the Salary Cap are obvious, and we can all agree on them.

And I gratefully thank the FEW of you ~ particularly the last few posts! ~ who have weighed in with strong and sensible Arguments.

The dim bulbs who've only contributed snide remarks can go get stuffed. :D

This is how I see it, and then I'll shut my Pie Hole:

* BaseBall is the only "Set Piece" sport of the Big Four, where players play almost autonomously, and most Managers don't even matter.

* In FootBall, the DESPERATELY vital importance of passionate and dedicated Synergy and TeamWork, combined with the SEISMIC impact of superior and innovative Coaching, PRECLUDES the Apocalyptic Horror Show that so many seem dead certain would ensue.

This is why the lasting dominance of one team has NEVER come to pass in FootBall, even though The Cap is but 16 years old, and FootBall had been INCREASINGLY more popular than ALL other sports for DECADES before its advent.

I believe that if the rules of the 80's were in place today, there's no way in HELL that Kraft, Belichick, and Brady don't DOMINATE...perhaps even MORE so. :eek:

But I digress, gentlemen: may you enjoy the rest of this fine day.

I have two questions, and I am honestly curious about them: Is english your first language? How old are you?

Im not trying to tease or anything I really would just like to know.

WOW. :eek:

Nothing like a controversial statement to stir the legions of addle-brained, angry, and bitter little men into a frothing, snot-bubbling, diaper-dumping RAGE!! :D

The Cap is certainly NOT what brought FootBall to prominence. Is that a JOKE??

It's been on an accelerated upward trajectory for about 50 years, ever since "The GGEP."

And The Cap has been around since...what?...1994??

Look, I'm not DEAD SET against The Cap...But it disgusts me when good teams are FORCED to Dis Assemble to accommodate the damned thing.

Give me an exemption for players we've drafted, ourselves...and I'm ALL ABOARD.

*ROFLMAO* Clearly you don't know what you are talking about. The Salary cap IS what brought Football to it's prominence. Football was a distant 2nd or 3rd or even 4th in many cities due to the strike. It wasn't until after the Salary Cap was instituted in 1994 with the goal of parity that Football gained it's prominence. Now, in many cities, football has become the #1 sport over some baseball franchises or is tied for the #1 sport with the baseball franchise.

This Thread: Any Chance We Can Kill It??

I guess that's what you HAVE to say, as actually putting together a coherent argument of your OWN...is evidently FAR beyond your capacity.

Considering how far off you are, you really shouldn't be telling others that they aren't capable of putting together a coherent argument. The fact is that you either are delusional or are too young to know what you are taking about on this subject.

Baseball had been the predominant spectator sport into the early 90's. It wasn't until Football instituted it's salary cap that it's meteoric rise in popularity occurred. What is funny is that you think otherwise, yet MLB and the NHL have both instituted salary caps (a soft cap in baseball and a hard cap in hockey) because they know that the parity is what helped football become so popular. And it's the reasons that Mgteich pointed out.

* In FootBall, the DESPERATELY vital importance of passionate and dedicated Synergy and TeamWork, combined with the SEISMIC impact of superior and innovative Coaching, PRECLUDES the Apocalyptic Horror Show that so many seem dead certain would ensue.

This is why the lasting dominance of one team has NEVER come to pass in FootBall, even though The Cap is but 16 years old, and FootBall had been INCREASINGLY more popular than ALL other sports for DECADES before its advent.

The lasting Dominance of one team has never come to pass? You don't know much about football history, do you?

From the Browns inception in 1946 through 1973, they had ONE losing season. ONE. They also won 8 league championships, including 5 straight from 1946 through 1950. They also played in 13 championship games during that time.

The Packers from 1959 through 1967 were one of the most dominant teams. They went to 6 league championships and won 5 of them, including 3 straight SuperBowls.

The Steelers and Packers of the 70s were extremely dominant. The Dolphins were dominant in the 80s and 90s.

Now, as for your claim that FOOTBALL has been increasingly more popular than all of the other sports for decades, I'm sorry, but you are wrong and you have no proof to support this claim.

WOW. :eek:

Nothing like a controversial statement to stir the legions of addle-brained, angry, and bitter little men into a frothing, snot-bubbling, diaper-dumping RAGE!! :D

Nothing like an ignorant statement to prove, yet again, that you don't know what you are talking about. The people who have replied to you have shown to be more intelligent than you, definitely not angry, and definitely not in a frothing rage.

Two words, Pittsburgh Pirates.

Can you imagine what the Tampa Bay Bucs would look like without a cap? How about St. Louis, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Arizona or Cincinnati. These teams would tank, year in and year out, because they'd be getting FREE MONEY from television without having a salary floor.

The only way I could justify abolishing the cap is if we also abolished revenue sharing. This way, teams who intentionally under-spend get no money for their intentional suckage. Of course, the consequence of this would likely be the folding of 5 NFL franchises.

I wouldn't want to see it. Yes, the league is littered with perpetual doormats, but they're perpetual doormats under a level playing field. No cap means perpetual doormats who aren't even trying. You'd have 6 annually non-competitive teams who aren't even trying to be competitive.

Is that what you want your NFL to look like?

The Cap is certainly NOT what brought FootBall to prominence. Is that a JOKE??

It's been on an accelerated upward trajectory for about 50 years, ever since "The GGEP."

And The Cap has been around since...what?...1994??

Look, I'm not DEAD SET against The Cap...But it disgusts me when good teams are FORCED to Dis Assemble to accommodate the damned thing.

Give me an exemption for players we've drafted, ourselves...and I'm ALL ABOARD.

So what you really want to do is end free agency, not eliminate the cap.

They may not have won a playoff game since the implemnetation of the salary cap but they have gone to the playoffs, no? When was the last time the Royals, Pirates, Blue Jays, Orioles etc... have made the playoffs or even had hopes of making the playoffs? And before last season when was the last time the Cowboys won a playoff game. I don't think that was much of an argument.

Baseball's problem more to do with teams like the Pirates, Royals and Marlins whose owners priority is to take revenue sharing money to line their pockets with money other teams have earned, not to field a competitive team. With the NFL salary cap there was a ceiling but there was also a floor of how much you can spend, that is why it worked. In baseball that is not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back