PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sal Wilcox not kind to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jimmy Johnson's chart places arbitrary values on SLOTS.

BB places values on PLAYERS.

in short, different players at different slots present different values to different teams. Any attempt to build an econometric model to predict player values across the entire league is a waste of time.

According to the chart, the #1 selection is worth 10 million of the #250th. Not only is the chart wildly innacurate and nonsensical, it deals with absolutes -- no two draft classes or players are identical.

The chart has become a standard because you don't have much time to negotiate when you're on the clock. Only ******s actually believe in it (see: rick spielman).

Wilcots is desperate for attention.

I assume this thread is about Solomon Wilcox?? I think the guy is a Browns fan or something. I remember reading that. Anyway- he's always dissing the Patriots. I hate that guy.

According to the value chart we overpaid by 55 pts for the right to draft Chad Jackson. What does 55 get you? A mid to late 4th round pick. To give you some idea, we used a 4th round pick on a Kicker. Am I going to be upset we lost the right to draft another kicker or backup quality player in round 4... Naah.

And this stuff about CJ putting the ball on the ground? Total BS. Jackson has probably the best hands in the draft at the WR position. Watch the hands competition and you'll know what I mean.

This guy blew away 1st and 2nd round picks like Vernon Davis, D. Williams, and Sinorice Moss all day long in skills competitions.

Obviously reading BS like this you get the impression more and more that the reporters seem to think that bad press sells papers more than good press and that's all there is to it. Because there is nothing factually backing up this guy's story.

After the Maroney pick, I KNEW the Pats didn't feel there was a defensive player worth taking high in that draft as their picks fell. Going for the offense which was underdrafted at that point WAS the best value. They managed to get the #2 overall RB and #2 overall WR in the draft.

Last edited:
Jackson was the best WR in the draft- hands down (The Stealers were fools to take that Ohio State WR instead of Jackson). And Maroney, I thought, was way up there. Either way, we got 2 of the best offensive skill position players in the draft.

About "hands"? How bad can they be when a kid catches 88 balls in a college season? That's an average of 7.3 catches per game. That's a 112 catch season in the NFL. How many could he have dropped?

BTW, Meyers had also called him the hardest worker on the team going into his final year.

Bostonian1962 said:
Was listening to NFL Sirius Radio yesterday. When talking about the Patriots trading up to get Chad Jackson, Wilcox said the Patriots got the worse of the trade. He said WR Greg Jennings and ILB Hodge were taken with those two picks.

He said Chad Jackson didn't shoot up the draft chart because of any body of work. He shot up because of his combine workouts. He said if you watch film of Jackson, he puts way to "many balls on the ground".

Then he said, Jennings is a better football player than Jackson.

Every bit I've ever seen of Jackson, he's had glue for hands. Can any Florida Gator reader comment please? Or, anybody else for that matter.

Has Wilcox ever run a NFL team? Has he ever coached one? If you were going to hire a guy would you hire the "Know All" Wilcox or a game named Bill Belichick?

What a waste of breath.

Value chart is a guide only.

In economic terms, a player is worth what a willing buyer will pay.

Since trades are not necessarily available when you want to make them, it is beyond ridiculous to expect the mythical pick value to correspond exactly.

Many besides the Patriots considered Jackson to be a 1st round value.

spacecrime said:
.. played the Pats and Broncos against each other. RIght down to the wire. Remember also that BB said the trade was so late in the pick he almost didn't get the pick in on time.

GB had the Pats and Broncos bidding against each other for the pick. The Pats outbid Denver. Perhaps Denver didn't need Jackson as much because they had a backup plan - the trade with GB for Walker.
to find out than Wilcox did.

When the GB/NE #36 & #52/#75 trade was going down, ESPN was in a commercial break with the left hand side of the screen still showing the clock and the GB logo for the upcoming #36 pick when surprisingly the helmet at the top flipped over to the Pats logo with about 5 minutes to go on the 10 minute clock. I switched to the NFL network at the time and they were way behind ESPN on this transaction. When ESPN resumed coverage they announced the trade almost simultanoeusly to the Chad Jackson selection. BTW, Green Bay should have have gotten the better of the trade because they need more quality picks, that's why they pulled the trigger in the first place.

We valued Jackson as a first rounder ...so the 55 points is irrelavent

rookBoston said:
He's wrong. The picks that Pats gave up were #52 and #75. That would be WR Greg Jennings and OG Jason Spitz. Hodge was taken by GB with their own 3rd rounder #67 overall.

The question of whether Jackson is better than Jennings is one for debate. Prior to the draft, I would have agreed with him. I didn't have Jackson on my draft board at all, based on the same reasons-- not enough experience, possible attitude problems, a reputation built mostly at the Combine.

That said... BB always does his homework. Jackson is bigger, taller and faster than Jennings, and has incredible hands. That was never in question. My questions are all about attitude, work ethic and professionalism. The difference between Branch and Bethel is less about athletic ability and more about mental readiness and commitment.

The fact that BB interviewed him multiple times, and gave Jackson mental reps with the playbook... they were feeling him out. There may not be evidence of "it" in his playing history, but he may have "it" in latent form-- untapped. BB and Coach Meyer are pretty tight, and I'm sure they've swapped notes. Overall, I trust that the staff has a pretty close read on the type of person and player they drafted.

Jackson is undoubtedly a high risk/high reward draft proposition, and the team knows it-- which explains the multiple interviews. The high risk factor probably contributed to the fact why they chose not to take him at #21. But when he came into range in the 2nd, the reward factor was too good to overlook. Note that the Pats traded ahead of the Broncos to pick Jackson. That was not a mistake.

If Jackson brings an Eric Moulds or Marvin Harrison professionalism to the game, he will easily be that calibre player in the NFL. And he could also be a huge bust. Hopefully, Brady can be a developmental force on him.

As for the LB, Hodge would have been off the board at #75, but we could have had Anthony Schlegel who the Jets took at #76 or Clint Ingram who went to the Panthers at #80 with that pick. Niether of those LB really turned my head.

Personally, I'm just fine trading up for a great player, assuming he's the right one. Jackson may be the best pure WR we've had on the roster since Terry Glenn left, with all his baggage. But especially at WR, great talent to too often tied to great big ego, the aptness of the Terry Glenn comparison may always be a source of concern. Jackson openly admires T.O. and sees him as a role model. I found that a bit unsettling.

I dont think anyone can say whether it was a good pick, with what we know today. If he's a star in two years, we will call it the most brilliant move in Pats draft history. If he's a washout lockerroom cancer... well, obviously it's a bust. He may be a great receiver and a lockerroom cancer, in which case the debate will continue. All will be made clear.

Whip out your crystal balls. Everyone is entitled to his best guess. For sure, everyone in the media has an opinion that they're willing to spout, but they're just pandering to the public. Fact is, as of today, it's impossible to know.

Absolutely great post. Wow, I did not realize that the picks involved were as you say. Haven't had a chance to look. Again, thanks for the post.

cubedoggy said:
Do you mean Solomon Wilcots?

Shoot, sorry. Yep. I hadn't had a cup of java when I posted. I lost respect for him after what rookBoston said about him not even having the picks involved correctly. But then, I butchered his name so I can't really talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back