Saints release former Patriot WR David Patten

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Another former Patriot who has not seen brighter days since he left NE

I loved this little guy who was a big part of the first SB team and I think everyone here remembers his performance in the Indy game which was one of the best performances by one player in Patriots history.

He is 34,going on 35 and coming off some injury plagued seasons,I wonder if a return trip back to NE and back catching balls from Brady would resurrect his dying career?

Too old? Too Injury prone? or is he worth a shot at low cost or vet minimum as a 3rd or 4th WR?,especially if Gaffney heads elsewhere

Last edited:
Having re-thought my snarky initial reply, let me just say this:

No. No thanks. No David Patten. Love the guy, but no.

Last edited:
He might be ok as a 4th or 5th WR. I'm concerned about his ability to stay healthy and it's only going to get worse considering his age. I'm sure the Patriots could do better.

He actually was pretty good in NO, but got hurt and some young guys behind him on the bench made the most of their opportunities. No shame in that.

Regards,
Chris

He actually was pretty good in NO, but got hurt and some young guys behind him on the bench made the most of their opportunities. No shame in that.

Regards,
Chris

Brees is a fantastic young QB,Its easy to do well with Drew throwing you the ball

Colston is no doubt a good receiver,but no doubt Brees has made him look even better

Patten does need a great QB as is evidenced by his play in NE and sporadic good play in N.O.- He was not very good in Washington since the Skins had no true decent QB and his injuries didnt help either

Last edited:
has anyone yet declared that "there's no way that David Patten makes this team" ?

Brees is a fantastic young QB,Its easy to do well with Drew throwing you the ball

Colston is no doubt a good receiver,but no doubt Brees has made him look even better

Patten does need a great QB as is evidenced by his play in NE and sporadic good play in N.O.- He was not very good in Washington since the Skins had no true decent QB and his injuries didnt help either
Lance Moore is probably 1b to Colston's 1a status as a WR. They are pretty equivalent. Robert Meachem surpassed 2007 breakout star Devery Henderson. When Devery Henderson becomes your #4 WR, you've got talent at the position. It's not just Brees.

Patten started the year opposite Colston and was producing, then both got hurt. Moore burst onto the scene and Henderson did well for a while before Meachem moved him to the #3. When Colston came back, Moore started opposite him, Meachem moved into the slot and Henderson became the occasional long ball threat. Patten was probably looking at a #5 WR spot and the Saints were probably looking at a cap hit for that spot that wasn't to their liking. Again, no shame in that.

Regards,
Chris

Brady lobbied for him to re-sign before he went to the Saints. I bet he's been on the phone already. As a 4th or 5th receiver I reckon there's a place for him.

Lance Moore is probably 1b to Colston's 1a status as a WR. They are pretty equivalent. Robert Meachem surpassed 2007 breakout star Devery Henderson. When Devery Henderson becomes your #4 WR, you've got talent at the position. It's not just Brees.

Patten started the year opposite Colston and was producing, then both got hurt. Moore burst onto the scene and Henderson did well for a while before Meachem moved him to the #3. When Colston came back, Moore started opposite him, Meachem moved into the slot and Henderson became the occasional long ball threat. Patten was probably looking at a #5 WR spot and the Saints were probably looking at a cap hit for that spot that wasn't to their liking. Again, no shame in that.

Regards,
Chris

I can spot a fellow 2008 Marques Colston Owner a mile away. ;)

I loved Patten when he was on the Pats.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Brady lobbied for him to re-sign before he went to the Saints. I bet he's been on the phone already. As a 4th or 5th receiver I reckon there's a place for him.

A 4th or 5th WR isn't going to see much field time... better off leaving those spots for some younger guys with upside and special team ability. Guys like Patton at age 34 or 35 are strong shadow roster contenders though.

Patten is the man.....

And I would be totally OK with Moss, Wleker, Gaffney, Patten and anything else....

Gaffney is a FA too and while we may be getting 14 mil back we only 5 mil right now and when we free up some other space we will be OK capwise but some bargains are always good and he is Tom's boy.

David Patten=Good Memories :) Damn I miss those guys:(

If he wants to sign a 1-day to retire a Patriot, sure. Otherwise, not really interested at this point.

Patten is the man.....

And I would be totally OK with Moss, Wleker, Gaffney, Patten and anything else....

Gaffney is a FA too and while we may be getting 14 mil back we only 5 mil right now and when we free up some other space we will be OK capwise but some bargains are always good and he is Tom's boy.

Kelly Washington is important to have on this team, IMO.

For a minimum deal with no bonus? Why not bring him to camp? I'd say he can't be the 3rd guy and we have to have Gaffney or preferably an upgrade there, but can he compete with Sam Aiken for the 4th spot? I don't see why not. And if he is done, you wish him well, cut him and nothing is really lost.

J D Sal

As great as Washington is on ST, he seems destined never to see time on offense (12 snaps all of last year. 2 less than Slater, 5 more than Ventrone), so I'm not sure it makes senses to keep listing him as part of the offense going forward.

Moss, Welker, Gaffney (or replacement), Aiken, Patten, rookie. Then Slater, Ventrone, Washington. I'd be happy to go to camp with that.

As great as Washington is on ST, he seems destined never to see time on offense (12 snaps all of last year. 2 less than Slater, 5 more than Ventrone), so I'm not sure it makes senses to keep listing him as part of the offense going forward.

Moss, Welker, Gaffney (or replacement), Aiken, Patten, rookie. Then Slater, Ventrone, Washington. I'd be happy to go to camp with that.

Are you saying you'd prefer Patten over Washington or that we should keep Washington but not refer to him as a WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes