Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sail around America

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Sail around Americas gauges ocean health - Environment- msnbc.com

What a difference a year makes — that's how long it has taken a crew of scientists and conservationists to sail and motor the 25,000 miles around both North and South America.

The biggest change since they left: the BP oil spill.

Now making their way up the West Coast, the Ocean Watch crew have been observing ocean health — or lack thereof — since setting off from Seattle, Washington, on May 31, 2009.

The Q and A section is sad....

Q: What were the most concerning indicators of poor ocean health seen by the Around the Americas expedition?

7 listed indictations (all suck)

Q: What were the most encouraging indicators of good ocean health?

scientists, fisherman, hunters, expressing concern and working top protect it.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 2 / -9

HD, I can see it myself right on on my own little beach on this island, my mother and I used to come up here from Cambridge during the 30's on my school vacations the depression was going on and it would be easier for my father he didn't have to feed us my grandmother owned this house I now live in and she had a large garden and all the sea food was free (we trapped lobsters/crabs and fished for ourselves) plenty of fresh berries and milk from the dairy farmer, I see the change in the Sea, the water is never as clear as I remembered, Flounders, Haddock, Cod all dissapeared, now we have the "red tide" warnings something we never heard of, I still at times dig clams on my beach but I wonder about them, my wife won't eat them even the mussels that cling to the seaweed don't seem the same, I can't begin to imagine what it must be like for those people who like me live on the ocean and now they are swamped and choked with oil from that BP spill, it must be a nightmare.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Great to have that kind of 'experience' posting here, Harry. You know I dig you, even though we dont see ear to ear.

More disturbing was Custeau's account of the plastic dump in the middle of the pacific, where all of the plastic gathers. So far...its larger that the size of TEXAS.

Its putting a new spin on the cliche:

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat once
    Teach a man to fish, and he will eat forever
    Kill all of the fish, and we are all fukced