PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the correct call and Brady made a mistake. In the end, it was a defining moment that probably cost the Patriots the Superbowl retrospectively (along with a few other critical plays). It's in the annals of Superbowl history now.

Where the ball last left the area should be in the direction and vicinity of the receiver, so even if it goes five feet over Branch's head on the sideline (e.g., into the stands) it's still in his "direction" right?

I guess it may be that the "vicinity" interpretation is a little murkier when it comes to the sidelines or the end zone which may be why you don't see much enforcement there, but if you chuck it upfield, and it hits the middle of the field with no players nearby, I would guess that's easier to enforce.

Still in the direction, but it clearly doesn't meet the std.s set forth by "a pass that lands in the direction and the vicinity" as it isn't landing in the vicinity and it has to meet both requirements. This rule is very loosely enforced and I don't think it has to do with murkiness, but with the fact that the NFL doesn't care to enforce it as written.

I'm not a huge fan of the refs calling it in this case because I don't think it's in line with how IG is usually enforced. I still blame TB though because he shouldn't put the refs in the position to determine the outcome of the play.

Absolutely BS call. Branch was in the direction of the ball when the ball was thrown. His momentum carried him to the right, and thus it looked like no one was there or that direction when the ball landed, but when the ball was thrown, Branch was surely in the direction of the ball. Absolutely BS call.

And about the spirit of the law, Brady was about to get hit, so you could easily say he lost his accuracy because of that, and the ball just sailed over Branch's head.

Just look at the replay. When Brady lauches at sec 34, Branch is right in the middle of the field. And where does the ball land? In the middle of the field. In Branch original direction. Absolutely BS call. That was no safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back