PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Several of you want us to draft a Day One safety yet again.

We have Harrison,Wilson,Sanders,Hawkins,Jones and Mitchell
and Baker and Ventrone and Andrews

This is not a position of need, nor even a position that could use an upgrade.

i agree..safety position can wait even though there are some great safeties this year

i wouldnt mind getting 1 round 4 or something but with TeBucky, Wilson and Harrison back and Hawkins-Sanders playing well..im not very worried

however CB is a need..Samuel or not..we need to add someone who can play CB

Gay - when hes healthy..call me
Scott - age and idk how much longer hes under contract for..good depth i like him
Mickens - hes on a 1 yr deal or what? Havent seen much of him really

Spann - hes a good ST player but hes seen defesne like once..with Mitchell and TeBucky coming back(ST), he might be gone.
Andrews - he might be a keeper b/c ST and he can return..dont know why he hasnt returned a single kick

its nice to add a future nickel or starter..Panthers had a nice trio with Lucas-Gamble-Manning(now Marshall)...same with Bears now..Chargers seemed to have a nice trio

itd be nice to add a CB/returnman possibly both in 1 pick

Last edited:

I agree, unless a true impact player with pro bowl potential falls to them like Landry or Nelson I don't see the Pats drafting a S. Nelson may be able to play nickel CB and adds value because of his versatility.

Plus Scott can play Safety in a pinch and if they re-sign Gay he has some experience as a Safety. While not elite the position is one of their strongest based on depth. Hawkins and Sanders are playing so well that people forget they are #3 and 4 on the depth chart.

We aren't set at Safety by a longshot.

The starters, Wilson and Harrison are both hurt a lot recently. Harrison is coming to the end, Wilson is a UFA after next season.

Sanders could be an adequate long term replacement for Harrison. We don't have such a player for Wilson. Hawk is a great backup/spot starter, a so-so full time starter.

If a great young Safety were drafted we could be set with him and Sanders for years. As it is, we aren't.

The starters, Wilson and Harrison are both hurt a lot recently. Harrison is coming to the end, Wilson is a UFA after next season.

Sanders could be an adequate long term replacement for Harrison. We don't have such a player for Wilson. Hawk is a great backup/spot starter, a so-so full time starter.

If a great young Safety were drafted we could be set with him and Sanders for years. As it is, we aren't.

I agree. Harrison will be 35 next year and has only played in 21 games the last three years. Sanders isn't bad, but we could use more depth.

Wilson also has been hurt two and the last three years and did not play well in 04. Jones and Hawkins can be backups, but neither should be starters. I think we could benefit from picking up a good FS.

we should at least dip into the 2nd or 3rd round for a S then let harrison show him the ropes

I agree with you. I don't think you wait until Rodney can't go any longer and Wilson is gone to draft someone. Even if they both are back at full strength next year, the time is now to start grooming someone.

There is never a position on the team that you couldn't use more depth at the right price. With Harrison and Wilson missing so much time, and Wilson coming into the final year of his contract, I WOULD like to see some safety help in the draft.
If someone like Griffin, Nelson or Landry are available in the first I think that is a no brainer because they could all be groomed to take over at FS if the team doesnt re-sign Wilson.
I would personally like to see some early picks on CB then get a S they could develop in the later rounds. I like Rod Rogers from Wisconsin and Marvin White from TCU. White is my pick right now in the 5th (we would need to trade into the round) or 6th . He has the speed to project to FS or SS, though his coverage skills could def. use some work. Thats why hes a 5th round pick.
http://combinedartsmedia.com/TCU/great-white.html

http://condraft.com/database/mountain-west/texas-christian/marvin-white/index.html

I probably agree with you 99 percent of the time. Not here though. I'm not even sure we can count on Rodney next year. Hawkins has been exposed a little in the playoffs. Should have stopped Cochery and LT. I'm OK with Wilson and Sanders at FS. I'd like to get a young thumper to groom behind Rodney. I know you've mentioned numerous times that you don't always draft to get a starter this year. It's for the following year. And, I think this is one of those cases. Some possibilities in Round 2 like; Rouse,Meriweather and Wendling.

I definitely think Sagety is a key position of need. Harrison, Scott and Hawkins are all over 30, Wilson may have to move to CB next year.
Sanders has surprised me with his play of late. Gay has missed a lot of time, Spann and Ventrone are very raw.

If Landry or Nelson drops to us at #24, depending on how they run, we should take them.

Griffin and Merriweather could be 2nd round options.

I think that the Pats could use an upgrade at free safety. I don't know what has happened to Wilson, but he's lost "it". He's not been the same player since he broke his arm during SB39. I think that may be one of the reason's the Pats started playing him at CB during the pre-season.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats attempt to trade Wilson and bring in someone like Kaesviharn or Hamlin.

Free Safety is definitely a position of need. As is CB, regardless of whether the Pats keep Samuel or not.

I agree that we should look for the replacement for Harrison. The difference between us is that I think that we have already found him.

I think we did draft the replacement for Harrison. Sanders has been playing very well at SS, not as well at FS. I don't think we are ready to give up on Wilson. In any case, we have Wilson and Hawkins at FS. I think we need to corners, with one of the corners being able to be a backup safety. I know bb likes to have six safeties. But, we already have six, plus Scott, Gay and Andrews.

We have four first day picks. We need about 3 linebackers, three corners. and a wide receiver.

I probably agree with you 99 percent of the time. Not here though. I'm not even sure we can count on Rodney next year. Hawkins has been exposed a little in the playoffs. Should have stopped Cochery and LT. I'm OK with Wilson and Sanders at FS. I'd like to get a young thumper to groom behind Rodney. I know you've mentioned numerous times that you don't always draft to get a starter this year. It's for the following year. And, I think this is one of those cases. Some possibilities in Round 2 like; Rouse,Meriweather and Wendling.

We have four first day picks. We need about 3 linebackers, three corners. and a wide receiver.
We won't need 3 CB by draft day. We have Hobbs and Scott signed now. We can bring Gay back easily. That's 3. Need two more. I think Samuel will be re-signed or Franchised and traded for another Day One pick. Which either reduces the # CB needed or adds a Day One pick. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mickens is re-signed as the #5 guy - or even if Andrews is penciled in at #5 knowing they can always sign a Mickens or Poteat type if needed.

Come draft day, I think we're looking at needing one CB.

Revis CB from Pitt is quick and good in run support. I only saw him play once this year but he made a lot of plays.

McCauley CB from Fresvno is a taller corner who would give the Pats a guy to match up with the other teams big receiver. He's compared to Cromate from SD. I've never actually seen him play except video clips.

Hall CB from Michigan is compared to Ty Law since they are from the same school and neither has great speed but both can play press coverage well. He didn't have a great game against USC or against Ohio State. He played ok against ND.

Hughes CB from Cal is smaller but is a play maker and has great instincts. I only saw him play against USC but he matched up really well even against USC's bigger WRs. I've read in several spots he could be a great nickle guy covering the likes of a Brandon Stokley and matching their speed yet being very physical.

Landry S from Auburn is the most well rounded safety coming out. He can play SS or FS and makes plays either way. I've seen him play more than the others and he always seems to make a play. I doubt he'll he around when we draft.

Nelson S from Florida. He's the best pure FS in the draft and very quick. I saw him play several games including the OSU game and he can make plays. Considering we have the likes of Harrison, Hawkins, Scott, Wilson and Sanders he might be the best fit since none of these guys are great FS but all can play SS.

Griffin S from Texas. I haven't seen him play much but he's compared to Roy Williams of the Cowboys. Basically a liability in coverage but can support the run and make plays by hitting. I think we have a lot of that already.

Weddle S from Utah. I know very little about this guy but he's the buzz name right now that everybody seems to love as a sleeper.

Now which one will BB & SP like? Your guess is as good as mine but I trust they'll do a better job then us. :p

Last edited:
you are right BB & SP are better

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill