PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safety Louis Delmas interviewed by Dean Pees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Safety first? - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

Delmas, who measured in at 5-11 1/4, 202 pounds, said today that he spoke with Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees on Saturday.

"I talked to the D-coordinator for a good 15 minutes," Delmas said. "We got along well. He let me know out front that I'd be able to fit into the defense, but he told me that it's going to require a lot of film work, a lot of time in the playbook. I'm willing to do that. That's the type of person I am. I love to watch film. I can find the little things about the opposing teams. I'd think I'd be able to fit into there."

Delmas certainly sounded like a Patriot when asked whether he was a free safety or a strong safety at the next level.

"At the school I was at I was always playing free and strong," said Delmas. "There were positions where I had to drop down into the box and play linebacker and play deep middle as a man free. Going into the league, I see myself as just a safety. I can play strong or free. I can play nickel [corner]. You got to be able to play multiple positions in the league."
---

We may be talking about #23 with Delmas, valued similarly to Meriweather as a first rounder.

Didn't there used to be a thread on rookies who we knew the Pats were in contact with? I wonder if there's been any more of these stories...

I would draft Delmas. just not as a first rounder. He's a day 2 talent. He doesn't have the body to put on extra pounds. I would draft him in the 3rd or fourth round.

I would draft Delmas. just not as a first rounder. He's a day 2 talent. He doesn't have the body to put on extra pounds. I would draft him in the 3rd or fourth round.

He woul'nt make it to Day 2 if he were forced to play with me strapped to his back....

Safety is a need, but I would hope for Delmas to drop to round 2 and Take our top guy in round 1. Round 1 might be Barwin or Alphonso Smith or maybe even Sean Smith. But if you're getting Delmas in round 2, the need for a DB in round 1 drops.

And how would you know if you were getting Delmas in the 2nd when we pick at 23?

Safety is a need, but I would hope for Delmas to drop to round 2 and Take our top guy in round 1. Round 1 might be Barwin or Alphonso Smith or maybe even Sean Smith. But if you're getting Delmas in round 2, the need for a DB in round 1 drops.

The lack of depth in this years draft for safeties, makes his availlability less likely later on.

take him with the better 2 we have....i'ld be happy with that

Listening to BB lately, it sounds like they have reevaluated the safety position in recent years and the premium they place on the position due to the need for the player to be both a run stuffer at time and also be able to cover a WR. Based on these recent quotes, I wouldn't be surprised if a safety like Delmas would get a first round grade from them.

Too early to tell if he's moved up to 1st Rd caliber but I've felt that he is a definite fit for the Pats. The kid is a very physical player and a very solid tackler. He is strong vs the run and pass. Very fluid safety who displays no stiffness. My feeling is he will be a great pro but I think he will be available at 47 and maybe even 58 but if the Pats feel they have to have him they may swing a trade somewhere in the 2nd to do so. In terms of value I don't think the Pats would be well served by taking him at 23.

Just a couple of points:

1) Pees may have also interviewed the other top ranked Safeties, but this info hasn't be released as yet.

2) If we draft a Safety at #23, and using NFL Draft Scout's rankings, one would assume that at least one of the top Safeties would be ranked somewhere in round one (even though BB doesn't necessarily adhere to such rankings).

Back in '07, Meriweather was (ranked #28 overall, #3 FS, selected at #24). LaRon Landry (ranked #7 overall, #1 FS, selected at #6). Reggie Nelson (ranked #19 overall, #2 FS, selected at #21).

In this draft, Patrick Chung (ranked #43 overall, #1 SS, projected round 2). William Moore (ranked #59 overall, #1 FS, projected as a 2-3 rounder). Louis Delmas (ranked #61 overall, #2 FS, projected 2-3). Rashad Johnson (ranked #82 overall, #3 FS, round 3).

Realizing that these are just numbers (but considering Meriweather's #28 ranking), the question remains as to whether or not the Pats would give at least one of these Safeties a round one grade, but more importantly -- a #23 value.

Chung is currently my favorite Safety prospect, but I have him as a second rounder. He's one of several prospects I'd like to have in round two. If I were to speculate, I'd say the Pats will select their Safety in that round, and if we get KC's pick, Safety would be the position.

I'm thinking if Alphonso Smith is there at #23, he gets the call over Delmas. If we end up with Detroit's #20, it could be interesting though...

Just a couple of points:

1) Pees may have also interviewed the other top ranked Safeties, but this info hasn't be released as yet.

2) If we draft a Safety at #23, and using NFL Draft Scout's rankings, one would assume that at least one of the top Safeties would be ranked somewhere in round one (even though BB doesn't necessarily adhere to such rankings).

Back in '07, Meriweather was (ranked #28 overall, #3 FS, selected at #24). LaRon Landry (ranked #7 overall, #1 FS, selected at #6). Reggie Nelson (ranked #19 overall, #2 FS, selected at #21).

In this draft, Patrick Chung (ranked #43 overall, #1 SS, projected round 2). William Moore (ranked #59 overall, #1 FS, projected as a 2-3 rounder). Louis Delmas (ranked #61 overall, #2 FS, projected 2-3). Rashad Johnson (ranked #82 overall, #3 FS, round 3).

Realizing that these are just numbers (but considering Meriweather's #28 ranking), the question remains as to whether or not the Pats would give at least one of these Safeties a round one grade, but more importantly -- a #23 value.

Chung is currently my favorite Safety prospect, but I have him as a second rounder. He's one of several prospects I'd like to have in round two. If I were to speculate, I'd say the Pats will select their Safety in that round, and if we get KC's pick, Safety would be the position.

You can throw those rankings out now....The combine has changed those.

After seeing Delmas today in the combine I want him at #23 and hope we can get him there....if you look at our roster Safety IMO is our biggest need we only Have Merriweather and Delmas would seem to complement him well.

Delmas is on the top of my wish list now and unless we get a better pick (Cassel) he will be on top. If we get a higher pick someone better might top the list but at 23 I think he is the best player that fits our needs and our team.

Delmas is on the top of my wish list now and unless we get a better pick (Cassel) he will be on top. If we get a higher pick someone better might top the list but at 23 I think he is the best player that fits our needs and our team.

If we acquire the Lions' #20, would you use that one on Delmas and #23 on Alphonso Smith?

If we acquire the Lions' #20, would you use that one on Delmas and #23 on Alphonso Smith?

Sure...I though maybe Darius Butler in the 2nd looks better and take Petigrew if we get Delmas I could go with anything the rest of the way.

Merriweather, Hobbs, Wheatly, Whilhite, and Delmas looks like a good Secondary to me hopefully Harrison comes back and any started vet FA CB and this looks real good. and Smith in this group would be OK too.

Last edited:
BB recently stated that he is re-evaluating safeties due to the need of them having to be able to cover more athletic and pass catching TEs. It sounds like he is looking for a corner with enough physicality to play safety as well. He even dropped Malcolm Jenkin's name in there as someone who played corner but has the means to play safety.

Also, I wouldn't rule out Rashad Johnson from Alabama. Saban raved about the kid's intelligence and leadership so BB might go that route to shore up our safety position.

If the FO drafts (another) FS in the 1st round, his name better be Sean Smith. My choices for first & second picks - in no particular order - continue to be: CB (and not another midget one, either) & Pass-Rusher. If Delmas or Patrick Chung are available in the 2nd round, and as long as both a CB & Pass-Rusher have already been secured, then I'll be all for it.

look good.....cross your fingers.....how many more days before the draft?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes