PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safety Jim Leonhard - Possible FA Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I noticed he's also a free agent who had a good season but may not manage to be a priority to the Ravens. Any thoughts?

Leonhard's contract is up after strong season -- baltimoresun.com

After three nondescript years with the Buffalo Bills, Leonhard found a home in the Ravens' secondary this season. When Dawan Landry suffered a spinal cord concussion in September and eventually went on injured reserve, Leonhard became the starting strong safety.

He never missed a step, through 16 starts, including three playoff games.

As the season wore on, Leonhard proved his worth in more ways than as a safety. He was the team's best punt returner, averaging 11.6 yards, nearly twice that of Yamon Figurs. He returned kickoffs on occasion (averaging 20.4yards). And when the need arose - as it did in the AFC title game, when the Ravens were short on cornerbacks - Leonhard played nickel back, too.

Versatile, tough, quick, smart. He made a career-high 85 tackles in the regular season and played well in the playoffs (one interception, half a sack, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery and 16tackles). Not a bad resume to take into free agency Feb.27.

Sounds solid. He's very much on the small side for safety though, and with Meriweather as SS, we might need to go bigger. Of course...I dunno though, I guess w the success Meriweather had as a run supporter this season at a compact 5'11, I am less worried about the size of the safeties.

Sounds solid. He's very much on the small side for safety though, and with Meriweather as SS, we might need to go bigger. Of course...I dunno though, I guess w the success Meriweather had as a run supporter this season at a compact 5'11, I am less worried about the size of the safeties.

Good Lord, you're not kidding. 5'8", 185#, and he started 13 games for the Ravens? Heck, he makes Bubba, at 5'10", 200#, look like Kyle Brady. . . . :eek:

interesting...i think meri is a little small for SS, and i want him to play FS...

if we put an even smaller guy at SS......i just dont know

I liked Leonhard when he played for Buffalo 2 years ago and had actually hoped the Pats would look at him. I hope they look at him again as he's a very tough hombre. He'd been good for the Pats depth and a tremendous help on special teams.

Ravens S Leonhard May Be Salary Cap Victim

Maybe we can jump in and grab this kid if this happens before he decides to reunite with his former DC Ryan or because of the Jets salary cap issues. I love the way he plays.
The National Football Post | Leonhard May Be Salary Cap Victim

Leonhard May Be Salary Cap Victim
From Ken Murray of The Baltimore Sun:
Change is coming to the Ravens’ indomitable defense.Rex Ryan, the architect/coordinator, is already gone. Cornerback Chris McAlister has one foot out the door. Pro Bowl linebackers Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs are lined up for big paychecks.

Then there’s play-making safety Jim Leonhard, one of the unsung heroes of that defense, whose future in Baltimore is cloaked in salary cap intrigue.

If the Ravens are able to sign Lewis and Suggs, will they have enough money left to reward Leonhard for his stellar season?

Last edited:
Re: Ravens S Leonhard May Be Salary Cap Victim

Didn't he used to play Webster?

(psst, been chatting about this some in the draft forum, too)

I'd take him in a second. Wish he was bigger, but I think he'd be a good SS for us.

No need for Leonhard when you already have one of the best in the NFL in Rhodes. I'd be stoked if he came here, watching him play, he screams "Patriot".

There is one major warning sign with Leonhard. How much he has benefited from playing next to Ed Reed, and behind that front seven?

Will Demps, another guy that a bunch of people craved when he was leaving the Ravens, signed a decent contract with the Giants, and was subsequently replaced in the lineup during his 1st year. He was released the following training camp.

Demps was replaced at safety in Baltimore by Dawan Landry, a 5th round rookie, who also became a playmaker in year one. Landry's injury opened the door for Jim Leonhard, a guy who only cracked the Buffalo lineup due to injuries to KO Simpson and Donte Whitner. He also became a playmaker in Baltimore.

I'd be wary of signing him to starter money, but as a 3rd safety/5th corner type, he's definitely interesting.

No need for Leonhard when you already have one of the best in the NFL in Rhodes. I'd be stoked if he came here, watching him play, he screams "Patriot".

Who is Rhodes?

I didn't realize he was a FA. Holly poo. Given the amount of respect between him and BB along with possibly being sick of losing in NY, he very well could end up here.

I didn't realize he was a FA. Holly poo. Given the amount of respect between him and BB along with possibly being sick of losing in NY, he very well could end up here.

Sorry to burst you and Jays52's bubble, but Kerry Rhodes is not a free agent. He signed a 5 year deal last offseson.

Last edited:

Sorry to burst you and Jays52's bubble, but Kerry Rhodes is not a free agent. He signed a 5 year deal last offseson.

That sucks and that explains why I didn't realize he was a FA until this thread, and then I checked KFFL (I think) and it listed him as a FA.

Too many questions about Leonard, which posters have brought up here already. But what we do know is that the man is a hitter, fast, and smart. If he can do 3/4's of what he did in Baltimore here then I would have him next to Meriweather in a New York Minute.

And, just because I feel like stating the blatently obvious, I would rather have Ed Reed. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing