PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safety changes report on NFL Network and Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pain

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
On the NFL Network they went over the 3 proposed changes for safety.

1 No Bunch formation on-side kicks where the kicking team bunches all their players together.

Now this is where it gets interesting. The next two rules are:

2 No head hits on blocking defenseless defenders and
3. No head hits on receivers.

Why interesting? The NFL Network showed three examples of this the cheap hits 2 and 3 happening and guess what, all three blatant examples were by Steelers players. One example was that cheap and potentially paralyzing hit put on Wes Welker this year.

Cheap Steeler bastards. They are a dirty dirty team.

Last edited:
Playing hard within the rules is not 'dirty'.

Sure, the Steelers had found a spot where the rules didn't specifically address their style, but this has happened before. I'd bet you were damn glad the Pats stretched the rules in '03 and '04. Remember Brian Cox? That guy was badass just whacking receivers anywhere in the field once the ball went over their heads.

I think the rules are good changes to player safety, but there's nothing wrong with knocking the snot out of somebody.

1 No Bunch formation on-side kicks where the kicking team bunches all their players together.

Why interesting? The NFL Network showed three examples of this the cheap hits 2 and 3 happening and guess what, all three blatant examples were by Steelers players. One example was that cheap and potentially paralyzing hit put on Wes Welker this year.

I understand your point, but I hate seeing this continued legislating every year against hard hits. Just another couple steps toward flag football.

I understand your point, but I hate seeing this continued legislating every year against hard hits. Just another couple steps toward flag football.

I agree. The main problem, as I see it, is the NFL likes hard hits for highlight reels, but doesn't want to see their stars (aka millions of revenue) knocked out for the season (TB).

I guess i would have to agree with the blind-sided helmet-to-helmet blocks, Hines Ward will be bringing in the penalties next season.

Playing hard within the rules is not 'dirty'.
Not necessarily true.

You are confusing dirty with illegal.

You can have a legal hit and it can be dirty.

Had Hines Ward or Ryan Clark blocked their man, their hits would not have been dirty. But they weren't just blocking, they were trying to hurt the other player, to knock them out of the game.

Had their victims been ball carriers, it would have been a different story. Then a hit like that could have been designed to knock the ball loose and it would fit with the "playing hard" definition.

But they weren't ball carriers. Their was no purpose, especially the Ward hit on Rivers, except to try to knock the player out of the game. Hines Ward must have read Jack Tatum's book.

I'd give Clark a little benefit of the doubt. The ball was tipped and if he thought Welker was settling under it to catch it, then his hit might have been to prevent that. I doubt it though. I think he was just head-hunting.

You can send a message with a fierce body blow. The problem with the Ward and Clark hits were that they were aimed at the head.

That was the new rule. Not that you can't blindside a player hard. You just can't blindside him in hte head.

I agree. The main problem, as I see it, is the NFL likes hard hits for highlight reels, but doesn't want to see their stars (aka millions of revenue) knocked out for the season (TB).

What bugs me about much of this is that players are being asked to do what sometimes is impossible -- adjust their bodies at the last split second to avoid an illegal hit. It's getting to be that the only way you can hit another player is between the knees and shoulders with your own shoulder and your feet on the ground. Anything different from that and you're flagged. The helmet is so close to the shoulder, how can it often NOT be involved? When they legislated against leading with your head (spearing) and against helmet-to-helmet hits, that should have been enough.

If the Steelers are dirty, so are the Pats. I don't remember anyone critizing Eugene Wilson's hit on Reggie Wayne in the playoffs a few year ago, or half of Harrison's hits over the years. I prefer the way the Steelers/Pats/Ravens play D compared to less physical teams.

What bugs me about much of this is that players are being asked to do what sometimes is impossible -- adjust their bodies at the last split second to avoid an illegal hit.

That's a good point and not every player,especially the bigger ones I'd imagine, has that ability to adjust at the last second. Hammering someone effectively without being "dirty" or penalty-worthy is difficult to do. Rodney had that level of athleticism and experience but it's not a common ability. It must take a lot of practice but mostly a lot of self-discipline/control. Some of the hits lately showed none of that.

Playing hard within the rules is not 'dirty'

Baseball refers to the idea as "unwritten rules". There are just some things that are not acceptable, no matter what the league(s) has said or done about it. The same holds true in the other direction, where there are things that are expected no matter how the league(s) try to stop them.

Plunk a batter with a pitch that seemed deliberately aimed to hit the guy, and you can expect that a player from your team will get drilled in retaliation. Hit enough players with cheap blocks and the opposing teams will be looking for you. It's really the same basic idea of players self-policing.

How exactly does one compare going blindside/ helmet to helmet on a player away from the ball/at the end of the play to the Pats "stretching the rules" in '03/'04?

There was a similiar play in 2002 with Warren Sapp hitting Chad Clifton way away from the ball. The guy tore his ACL.

The Thomas penalty last year in Indy was excessive but that's the Colts.

I hate the Steelers as much as anyone, and seeing them win the SB was probably the worst case scenario this season for me, but they played within the rules. As fans of a coach who will do anything to gain an advantage, in some cases bending the rules, I don't see how you can knock the Steelers and act like we're any better in that regard. Not to mention us having the guy that was voted dirtiest player in the league.

1 No Bunch formation on-side kicks where the kicking team bunches all their players together. This was already ruled on last year.

Most of us have known that there are quite a few Steelers Players that are cheapshot bastards ever since Lee Flowers said they were going to go at Brady's knees in 2001 and they did so, knocking him out of the AFC Championship game.

If the Steelers are dirty, so are the Pats. I don't remember anyone critizing Eugene Wilson's hit on Reggie Wayne in the playoffs a few year ago, or half of Harrison's hits over the years. I prefer the way the Steelers/Pats/Ravens play D compared to less physical teams.

Wilson didn't hit Wayne in the head the way Clark did with Welker.

Almost every single one of Harrison's hits have been legal because he didn't lead with his head nor did he aim at the receiver's head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes