PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that this is earth-shattering news ...

Cleaning out the Patriots notebook - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

No jersey number for Josh Barrett. In a sign that safety Josh Barrett might not be part of the team’s plans this year – he was claimed on waivers from the Broncos, who were attempting to place him on injured reserve – the team has yet to issue him a jersey number. Barrett required shoulder surgery and it looks like the team claimed him with 2011 in mind.

Patriots Roster Prediction #21: S Pat Chung by Richard Hill of Pats Pulpit:

Past Role: Chung followed the Brandon Meriweather rookie treatment; he didn't play too much, but instead spent time learning the system and getting stronger. He played a lot of special teams as well as some extra playing time late in games. He showed his versatility as a rookie by notching sacks, interceptions and pass deflections, as well as strong tackling.

Predicted Role: Chung should start next to Meriweather due to his skill set as an all around safety. He is a sound tackler and should do well playing in and around the box. He should start as many games as possible and should be a perfect complement to Meriweather- Chung should have a Rodney Harrison-esque impact on the defense. He should also help out on special teams.

Predicted Season Numbers: 14 Games Started, 16 Games Played, 65 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 2 Forced Fumble, 3 Interceptions, 3 Passes Deflected

Predicted Depth Chart: #1 SS, #3 FS

Summary: Look for Chung to be the playmaking safety that Harrison used to be. He'll be a solid full time starter in his second year and he should make large strides as a player over the course of the season.

A lot of people here seem to be clamoring to trade James Sanders. I agree that as it is, he sits behind Chung and McGowan on the "strong safety" depth chart, and I'd like to keep Sergio Brown.

But what if... Brandon Meriweather goes down? Sanders is the next best traditional coverage safety by quite a bit.

I agree.

Brown may or may not make the team as the 10th defensive back, but he is not beating out James Sanders for a roster spot. Brown would have to be a better option at safety than Sanders. As you say, he would need to be good enough to start if Meriweather went down.

The place for Brown is the Practice Squad.

Besides, Brown is not a better special teamer than Lockett or Slater or Alexander, all of whom are likely to be cut.

A lot of people here seem to be clamoring to trade James Sanders. I agree that as it is, he sits behind Chung and McGowan on the "strong safety" depth chart, and I'd like to keep Sergio Brown.

But what if... Brandon Meriweather goes down? Sanders is the next best traditional coverage safety by quite a bit.

Last edited:
No worries when it comes to safety - BostonHerald.com
“(Bill) Belichick loves safeties. He loves really good safeties,” Harrison said yesterday. “He’s put himself in a position where he’s got two young studs that have tremendous upside. He’s already got a Pro Bowler in Brandon, now he has Pro Bowl potential in Chung. It’s there.

“They’re hard-hitting, they’re guys that want to learn, that want to get better. Brandon (Meri-weather) is going to continue to push himself. Belichick is going to continue to push those guys to get better and to become the leaders of the defense. And that’s what the safety position has to be: the leaders of the defense.”

I think Rodney is a noteworthy source when it comes to Patriots safeties. I plan to yell PATCHUNG every time Chung does something good, which I'm sure will be a lot! :D

New England Patriots' defensive pecking order is coming into focus - ESPN Boston

1. Patrick Chung is the clear-cut leader to start at safety next to Brandon Meriweather. The 2009 second-round draft choice, who was selected with the pick the Patriots acquired from the Kansas City Chiefs for Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel, looks like a more confident player. He's been on the field for 62 snaps, and all have come in the first half. That seems to be a clear statement that he's the starter who will get the bulk of the snaps.

2. James Sanders is a veteran who must be wondering about his future. Remember how late in the 2009 season Sanders was credited with being a calming influence in a secondary that had hit a rough stretch without him in the lineup? Sanders was hardly on the field against the Falcons this past Thursday, playing just 13 snaps. With Chung emerging, and Sanders scheduled to earn $2.3 million, Sanders is one of the team's veterans who could be swung in a trade.

This Ventrone Getting Into The Flow Of Things by WEEI's Mike Petraglia:

Ventrone was signed by the Patriots as a rookie free agent on April 29 after playing and starting three years for Villanova, following his transfer from Pittsburgh. Ventrone was the leader of a secondary that was one of the best in the FCS in 2009.

Ventrone was in on 73 tackles, including 53 solos. He had 6.5 tackles for loss and three sacks and was in on 198 tackles in his three-year career with the Wildcats. Two years ago, Ventrone had a team-best four interceptions for the Wildcats.

Ventrone is someone who knows how to climb a hill. He began his college career as a walk-on at Pittsburgh. After being redshirted as a freshman in 2005, he worked on the scout team in 2006 before earning a scholarship to Villanova.

Now with the Patriots, Ventrone, like his brother, is making his mark on special teams. He played in the opener against the Saints before getting cut for Week 2. He was brought back last week and made a tackle on special teams against the Rams. Now, in the preseason finale against the Giants at the New Meadowlands Stadium on Thursday, he will try to leave his mark against the same team his brother did during Super Bowl XLII.

I think now with the minor injury to Meriweather they will keep Sanders on the 53 and put try and get Sergio Brown on the PS.

Mike Reiss' mailbag, August 31

Q: James Sanders status on the roster has been questioned this preseason, but with the youth and inexperience in the secondary, coupled with a poor showing vs. the Rams, can we really afford to cut a veteran like Sanders?

A: I'd say the team has to keep Sanders, especially given that safety Brandon McGowan was held out of practice Monday with an undisclosed injury. Without knowing the severity of what is keeping McGowan out, it's difficult to be definitive, but I'd lean toward keeping Sanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back