PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safeties next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah... I agree !

He is late for meetings and seems to set his own agenda.
We got rid of the other non-koolaid drinkers....

Merriweather is the only non-koolaid drinker left.

Late for meetings? Kind of like the kiss of death.

Chung is a keeper. Sanders is solid if unspectacular. If the Pats draft a better safety, I really wouldn't be averse to seeing Meriweather go in a trade. He just lacks instincts in the coverage game and takes poor angles to the ball too often. In short, overall Meriweather is a liability in the passing game despite his other qualities. I like Weddle but I think the contract he demands on the free agent market will be far too rich for the Pats. So the draft is where I'd see the Pats reload if they choose to go that direction. A S/CB tweener might be valuable for this defense now that we have Chung written in at SS.

Last edited:
I'm also one of those who wonders if BW is back next year. He consistently doesnt 'get it' here, his contract is due soon anyway so why not consider a trade

Then look at FA or maybe a hybrid CB/FS type draft pick like Ras I-Dowling in the second round

I like Meriweather, although I am kind of a sucker for guys with natural talent like he does.

I don't see him staying much longer. If the pats ship out Seymour and Moss because they think they can win without them, (and be correct i might add) and get some value, then I'm sure they could do the same with BM.

If Bernard Pollard hit free agency(doubtful) I'd LOVE to see him here. Plays with a lot of intensity.

NO!!! Just NO!!!

Have to look at the economy of Meriweather.. he is here for relatively short money, he knows the system.. and maybe he will finally figure it out.

My vote is to keep him based on value, ability(most of the time) and knowledge of the system.. he has not cost us any games.

Who are the top FS that are coming out this year?

I don't get to see a lot of games over hear but I've been hearing a lot about Merriweather's poor play this year and especially him taking bad angles to get to the ball carrier. Having seen the first half of the GB game and his appalling play taking McCourty out on the TD I'd be happy to see him go.

Someone posted this in the draft forum, it's a bit out of date but still good:

2011 NFL Free Agents: DB

Not sure how we'd replace Merriweather though, we've got a good stock of draft picks as usual but I think there's more pressing needs than safety, wouldn't mind seeing one taken in the 3rd-4th rounds though

Don't know about Meriweathers contract, but a draft day trade wouldn't surprise me. With Chung sanders and page they could absorb a draft pick safety replacement easily. It's still one of the best value positions in the draft IMO, don't necessarily need the highest pick and we have doubles.

If Bernard Pollard hit free agency(doubtful) I'd LOVE to see him here. Plays with a lot of intensity. And he wouldn't be able to hurt any of our players anymore.

What do you guys think?

:confused::confused::mad::mad:Seriously? If he was as good as a healthy Bob Sanders or Rodney Harrison in his prime, I might, just MIGHT consider it. If they were to pick him up it would probably be for a blanket party the minute he walked into Gillette.

Who are the top FS that are coming out this year?

The highest rated Senior Safety is currently a 2nd rounder. That could change come the combine. Also, I don't know if there are any junior safeties who are rumored to be declaring who might fall into the 1st round.

That being said, I don't know if there are any safeties of Meriweather's talent. However, as we know, talent isn't everything. Heart, Desire, and a willingness to learn the BB way is just as important.

draft a young cover safety/ FS and give him a year to learn the ropes while meri finishes his contract (hopefully the rookie is ready halfway through next season)

keep sanders, hes playing extremely well, and one of page or mcgowan along with brown which gives you

rookie, meri, sanders, brown, page/mcgowan

I like Page. He has an opportunity to be productive here IF one of the other 3 safeties who play in the rotation are moved and it wont be Sanders or Chung.

Last edited:
Given that he's got one year left on his rookie contract, no team is going to give up more than a 5th rounder for BM. Given that trading him is a $1M dead money cap hit to the Pats, and he knows the system and plays well enough to get substantial snaps from BB, is that really worth it?

We haven't seen enough of a healthy Page to make a determination. He's a free agent, but might come back here for reasonable money to redeem his career. He strikes me as a good system guy. I just don't think we know yet.

There will be no trading this offseason unless the league and players union come to an agreement. charley casserly reports the draft will go ahead as planned, teams can trade picks for picks but not picks for players..

Unless BM is released, I see him coming back

OK. People saying that no one will give anything but a low round pick for BM because he'll only have 1 year left on his rookie deal are off their rocker. It's very easy for the teams to say that the deal is null unless a new contract is signed. And BM would do that.

Next, the Pats have Sanders, Meriweather, Chung, Brown, Lockett and Barrett under contract for next year.

Barrett and Lockett are both coming off injuries and may or may not contribute.

Page is a UFA and the Pats may or may not have to send a pick back to KC. I honestly think it depends on whether or not they re-sign him.

McGowan is also coming off an injury. And though he started off 2009 well, he was benched mid-season because he's more of a liability against the pass than Chung, Meriweather, or Sanders.

I could easily see the Pats drafting a safety in this draft and trading away Meriweather. But it won't be for less than a 3rd round pick.

The only problem is that I am not sure how good the talent is in the draft at safety. There are no senior safeties who grade out as a 1st round pick right now. And we don't know which juniors are going to declare or whether or not they are better than the seniors. Also, I don't know if there are any Cornerbacks who would be ideal to move to safety.

One thing people need to remember is that BB likes his safeties to be able to support the run as well as protect against the pass. Not just one or the other. We learned that from Rodney Harrison a few years back.

Tejay Johnson, from TCU, may be one play who fits into that mold of a safety who can play either side..

Safety play is presently a STRENGTH of this team. I see no reason to move from the rotation of Sanders, Meriweather and Chung, with Sergio Brown as an emergency safety and special teamer. The #4 is Page who had played very well indeed. If Page can be re-signed, I see us more than complete, with Lockett and Barrett as possibilities in camp.

I see absolutely no reason for dumping Meriweather. He is certainly at least a quality backup for us. He is NOT a liability as a backup.
======================

That being said, the issue for me (the only issue) is that both Sanders and Meriweather will be in their contract years. No one knows which will be signed for 2012. So, yes, we will look for a safety in the draft, but there will no pressure at all. If the value and player is there, then we'll draft one.

But there is no need and no room on the roster. Consider if we found another Chung at 33 and dumped Meriweather. The team would be likely be WEAKER for 2011. A rookie safety is not at all likely to contribute as much as Meriweather, and is unlikely to be able to start if needed. Getting rid of Meriweather makes no sense to me. It reminds of all the times posters wanted to dump Sanders.

Last edited:
draft a young cover safety/ FS and give him a year to learn the ropes while meri finishes his contract (hopefully the rookie is ready halfway through next season)

keep sanders, hes playing extremely well, and one of page or mcgowan along with brown which gives you

rookie, meri, sanders, brown, page/mcgowan

Ahhhhhhhhh....you forgot Chung:eek::eek::eek:

I'd not be too surprised to see a safety drafted early (say, round 2) if the right guy falls. Looking ahead, McGowan is a bit one-dimensional and Meriweather doesn't seem destined to stick around for the long haul.

Not to say I have too much problem with our current group, you just always got to look ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back