PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Safeties Darren Sharper and Renaldo Hill Coming In For Workouts Too

Status
Not open for further replies.
well at the very least they offer competition. Not too excited about either one though.

FWIW ...

Twitter/shalisemyoung

Have been told Belichick is "desperately" looking for a free safety, which is why Sharper/Hill visits make sense

FWIW ...

Twitter/shalisemyoung

Have been told Belichick is "desperately" looking for a free safety, which is why Sharper/Hill visits make sense

Is this one instance where we should read into a reporter's wording? "Desperately?" Interesting.

I bet you were something before electricity.. :p

Joker is Nikola Tesla's younger and smarter brother:rocker:
Marty_Feldman_3jpg

Last edited:
Just as Nikola was responsible for the Tunguska explosion in 1908, I, Tesla's great great great great grand second cousin, Joe K. Tesla, will immolate the Meadowlands in Jersey with my Tesla Rod Of Correction©.....:yeeha:

Last edited:
We had McGowan and Page last year as the #4 safety. We will not have either this year. I see now problem with signing a veteran safety.

Just as Nikola was responsible for the Tunguska explosion in 1908, I, Tesla's great great great great grand second cousin, Joe K. Tesla, will immolate the Meadowlands in Jersey with my Tesla Rod Of Correction©.....:yeeha:

....strangely,I read this and got a semi...:nono:

....strangely,I read this and got a semi...:nono:

to be serious, for just a second,...Tesla actually conducted an experiment to prove his theory that his Tesla rod could be used as a conduit for the magnetic energy of the planet...strangely, the day he performed his experiment is the same day Tunguska happened....one of the theories on Tunguska ties in the Tesla rod with Tunguska, the theory being the electromagnetic energy flowed from the atmosphere through the rod, through the earth's molten core and exited at Tunguska, resulting in a massive explosion of electromagnetic energy.

Eerily, this experiment was conducted somewhere in New Jersey...

OK...that's enough serious talk...back to the previous program "Wrecks' Beach Blanket Tic Tac Toe Tournament"

I think Sharper would be great. We could trade Meriweather no problem and get some value.

to be serious, for just a second,...Tesla actually conducted an experiment to prove his theory that his Tesla rod could be used as a conduit for the magnetic energy of the planet...strangely, the day he performed his experiment is the same day Tunguska happened....one of the theories on Tunguska ties in the Tesla rod with Tunguska, the theory being the electromagnetic energy flowed from the atmosphere through the rod, through the earth's molten core and exited at Tunguska, resulting in a massive explosion of electromagnetic energy.

Eerily, this experiment was conducted somewhere in New Jersey...

OK...that's enough serious talk...back to the previous program "Wrecks' Beach Blanket Tic Tac Toe Tournament"

Supposedly,after Tesla died penniless,gov agents went thru his apt and stole drawings of his radar-absorbing stealth bomber....this was in 1946,I believe,40yrs before the F-117A....What a genius!

.....and now....back to more feetball with Mr and Mrs Rex Ryan and the Dr Scholl's Foot-in Mouth Orchestra.:eek:

Re: Sharper and Hill Coming in Too

Before the lockout, I would've said a 3rd. But if Bill really wants to replace him that much, then probably a 4th.

Which makes me wonder why they wouldn't take advantage of one more year from him on a cheap rookie pact, as he knows the defense and has made some big plays at times. Even last yr, looking back at the highlights from youtube, you see Meriweather making some big plays.

If all we could get is a 4th, MAYBE a 3rd--then isn't that exactly what we'd get anyway next yr in a comp pick?

IMO, next yr's comp pick is the exact same thing as a trade, only we'd get to keep him one last yr...

IF they are looking at getting another safety to replace Meriweather (something we're only specuating about) then they must really want him out of here this yr, b/c the compensation via trade just doesn't make much sense.

I think Sharper would be great. We could trade Meriweather no problem and get some value.

That is pure speculation at best.

We're getting the exact same trade value no matter what, whether it's a 3rd/4th this yr, or a 3rd/4th next yr in a comp pick when he leaves for FA. This isn't exactly a Seymour situation, where we can get a higher pick NOW for him, as opposed to next yr in a compensatory pick. We're not getting anything higher than a 3rd/4th no matter what, and so basically it's like having Meriweather for one more free yr on a cheap rookie pact.

This is exactly why I'm not quite buying the whole "we're replacing Meriweather" hype just yet.

It doesn't make much sense, unless they absolutely do NOT want BM playing at all here this yr.

There is still a high chance that this perceived signing is for nothing more than another vet for depth. With both McGowan and Page gone, they could just as easily be replacing one of them.

In regards to all the veterans being brought into camp, there are two very important factors that may be being overlooked by some people.

First, the lockout meant zero time for any coaching staffs to work with rookies. That means for the 2011 season the value of an NFL veteran on a roster increases, while conversely expectations for contributions from rookies should be tempered.

Second, training camp roster sizes are 90 players this year. With ten additional players in camp obviously some of them will be older veterans. It would be unreasonable to expect all ten extra spots go to undrafted free agents.

We have a normal, natural tendency to have more of a reaction to a familiar name coming in for a workout or signing a contract than we do to the same thing happening with a player we never heard of. I think these factors are all clouding our perceptions a bit and tricking us into thinking their is a huge shift in the way Belichick and the Patriots are doing things in Foxboro this year.

I think you hit the nail right on the head here jmt.

This is one more reason why I have not believed that Dowling is going to contribute at safety here this yr, as learning one position will be extremely hard enough--let alone learning two in a shortened off-season for the rookies.

We have three proven safeties, one of which is banged up. Wouldn't hurt to add a veteran to the mix here. On the Meri front, I don't see us trading our pro bowl safety to make room for one of these hasbeens.

Yea just heard also. He'd be an upgeade over meriweather imo

No he wouldn't. He'd be fine for depth at a position which, IMO, doesn't have very much depth currently to it. Before he went to the Saints a couple of years ago, I wanted the Patriots to take a look at him. I'm glad they're doing it now. :cool:

I wouldn't put it past Belichick to sign them both.

We have three proven safeties, one of which is banged up. Wouldn't hurt to add a veteran to the mix here. On the Meri front, I don't see us trading our pro bowl safety to make room for one of these hasbeens.

Find the animosity towards Meriweather amusing, here is a guy who Felger and many fans do not like, but somehow his peers and NFL coaches waste their votes on him for the past two years in the pro bowl.

Sharper and Renaldo Hill if brought in, are insurance/depth picks..

The talk of trading Meriweather is flat out silly.. he is on his last year of his rookie contract, and some want to trade a player who knows the system well, is held in esteem by peers and coaches for a future pick?? Meriweather is not a legacy pick who is there because of his history. Makes no sense..

More than likely some of the guys who are injured are not coming back soon..

Last edited:
Another factor with Meriweather: are you really likely to get more for him than you would if you just let him walk and took the FA compensatory pick? I can see him signing a decent-sized deal (considering what Eric Weddle and Michael Huff got) and next year doesn't look like a huge FA year for the Patriots. We could end up with a 4th or 5th for him anyway, even if we kept him for the whole year.

Now, if he's an attitude problem, that's another thing. But my sense is that getting rid of BM for Sharper is crazy -- if Darren Sharper still had starting ability in him, he'd be signed by now. Look at Dallas and their safety situation. Why wouldn't they bring him in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey