PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sad News. Another former player dies too young. Orlando Brown has passed at age 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Sad News. Another former player dies too young. Orlando Brown has passed at age

We practically worship these guys as "gods" on the field.

Its a shame that many live such sad and sometimes short lives after the glory days are over.

Re: Sad News. Another former player dies too young. Orlando Brown has passed at age

Think Belichick drafted him, right?

Undrafted, I believe

Too bad. The guy lost a large part of his career because of a freak accident. Now he passes far too young.

Condolences to his family.

Too bad. The guy lost a large part of his career because of a freak accident. Now he passes far too young.

Condolences to his family.

The only reason I ever knew who he was, was because he got hit in the eye with that flag.

Shame.

The only reason I ever knew who he was, was because he got hit in the eye with that flag.

Shame.

Dang, that was him? Sad, very sad! RIP!!

Was he the guy Belichick referred to as Zeus?

Shame.

Obviously, this makes the eyesight problem seem trivial by comparison.

Football is eating its players. I don't think any fan should oppose moves to make it safer, even at the cost of some "pansyfication".

Wow.
What a stark reminder of the price many players pay to be part of the National Football League.

Last edited:

Obviously, this makes the eyesight problem seem trivial by comparison.

Football is eating its players. I don't think any fan should oppose moves to make it safer, even at the cost of some "pansyfication".

Sad to hear this news.

Solutions seem difficult to impose. A man who was just inducted to the Patriot's HOF played OL at 250 pounds. The people who play for and against the Patriots currently are enormous in comparison, and such size and strength demands are proving to be incredibly taxing on the body.

It seems that the game will continually get bigger, faster and stronger... you can't ask teams to draft, sign, and play some people over others because they will be comparably healthier as a 50 year old man. So what's the league to do?

The best hopes for post NFL life seem to be better safety equipment (helmets, braces etc.) and use of Damien Woody as a post playing career role model.

Undrafted, I believe

Correct, but it was Bill who signed him as a UDFA after the '93 draft.

During the America's Team version of the '03 Pats, Bill revealed that, prior to playing the Murderers @ Foxboro, he told his defense that Brown had a 100% tell with his hand placement that indicated run or pass. Wouldn't you know it, Bill laughed, Brown was deactivated for the game.

Shame.

i believe he won a 25,000,000 lawsuit against the NFL for the bonehead toss by the ref. Doesn't do him any good now. Tough way to end a career. RIP.

Does anyone know the cause of death? Posters seem to be calling it death by football.

That's awful. He was as tough as they come. It took a referee's flag to get him of the field--no player could do it.

Shame.

He was a mean lineman. He was well known to all true football fans as one of the toughest and most feared lineman in the game. Linemen are anonymous, but he stood out.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Just a followup:

Former Baltimore Raven Orlando Brown died of a diabetic complication that is rarely fatal but can sometimes be quick to strike — and he might not even have known he had the underlying disease.

The 40-year-old died in his Inner Harbor condominium Sept. 23 from diabetic ketoacidosis, but there were no signs he was taking insulin to treat diabetes or that a doctor had ever diagnosed him with the disease, according to the state's chief medical examiner.

Former Raven Orlando Zeus Brown likely didn't know he had diabetes - baltimoresun.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back