Welcome to PatsFans.com

Sad and Despicable

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Nov 7, 2012.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +881 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

Obama re-election protest escalates at Univ. of Mississippi; racial slurs, 2 arrests reported - The Washington Post

http://www.buzzfeed.com/johnstanton/university-of-mississippi-students-riot-over-obama

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Just an election, guys. Oh yeah and the guy who won is black.
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Mississippi, huh? Hell of a school you got there. At least racism is dead.

2012, huh?
  4. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +881 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

where's does that school go from here ... they already had a horrible reputation ... it's sickening.
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Every time I think we have turned that corner, find out how little progress has been made...

It is still there, unfortunately...

But they will be out there enmass rooting for the football team when they play Vanderbilt this Saturday...
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.....
  7. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

This is news? This is worth posting on this board?

I don't think so....just my opinion though. I mean all 400 students...man, it's a national epidemic, huh?

As I've always said, if people are racist, there's nothing anyone can do about it. Live and let live....
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +430 / 6 / -9

Yeah see, I'm not all "live and let live" about racism. This is the real mccoy, not the fake racism righties keep imagining whenever they talk affirmative action. This is the old-style "you're black, and that means you can't be president" racism. It's people wanting privilege -- not partial redress of an imbalance against them. They're outraged that they're white, and aren't the president, and he's black, and he is... something they actually believe he has no right to be, because he's black.

All of this bullcrap outrage about how he's a kenyan and all that is just an extension: He's "different" from us... and the birthers were just putting a comfortably acceptable fig leaf on this kind of sentiment.

All this "taking our country back" stuff, ditto.

Yeah, PR, live and let live, lah di dah, everything's fine... the people most interested in this should be the pubbies. They should have all been tweeting at lightning speed about how terrible this is, and how these kids should vote -- and vote on the issues -- not stomp around screaming racial epithets. They should have used the opportunity to demonstrate that they're not the party of racism, because being the most comfortable haven for racists is precisely how they just lost.

They need to expand their tent. That would have been a way to do it. But then, the soul of the party is sort of all about disenfranchising minorities. It's never been clearer than in this election.

Didn't work.

PFnV
  9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

Even you have no choice but to allow others to believe what they choose to believe...thus "Live and Let Live".

That doesn't mean if laws are broken, we look the other way. It just means that if I have racist beliefs, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it....

Is there?
  10. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +881 / 6 / -16

#87 Jersey

did someone say national epidemic?

Nope ... I checked the thread ... no one said that.

It is news because it is not something you expect to see on a college campus.
  11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

I agree...but I also believe the news isn't something that makes me think...."OMG!!":eek:

Anyone who thinks racism will go away in our lifetime is trying to live in Utopia
  12. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

It becomes news for political operatives that will use it to paint anyone who has an issue with any of the Presidents policies. It can't be blown off but it can't be overblown either.

From the article

The thing is this is much progress has been made. Political operatives will use these incidents to imply that this small portion of the 2% of the student body is the typical racist attitude of anyone that isn't lock step with Obamas ideology or politics.

We have to condemn these racists and let them know we want no part of their attitudes. The enemy of our enemy is not our friend. They damage the conservative brand by thinking they are representative of it. I hate racists for the hurt they cause their targets and I hate them because of divide they help grow between different legitimate political camps.
  13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

Racism is based upon fear that in time breeds hatred...and I agree it's very ugly. And there are different degrees of racism and prejudice.

Quick story....someone I know marginally recently showed me a racist pic his niece sent to him. He thought it was funny. I didn't laugh when I looked it and just said, "that's from your 17 year old niece?" and left it at that.

Now I could have said I don't care for racism, blah, blah, blah. But what good would that do? So I did my "Live & Let Live" thing and I was ok.

That's my point here.
  14. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Why not?

I am not condoning the event and the words....just not sure why it is surprising?

1. Mississippi for starters.
    2. Colleges aren't filled with smart people just because it is "college". I have this discussion with my wife all the time (she didnt go to college because she thought she was too dumb). College <> intelligence and is certainly not free from ignorance of many kinds.
    3. I realize it may have been eons ago, but Colleges were the fire lines of the Civil Rights movement were they not? George Wallace and what not.

All that said, very sad to hear parts of our country have come so.....near in terms of ideas/acceptance.
  15. nabwong

nabwong PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

All racism should be condemned. Notice that I say racism and not racists. Racism is the ideology and racists are people. We should not condemn people because they might change. But we should condemn the racist ideology within them. In this way, we are helping that person and not condemning them. This is a fine line that many people do not understand and don't want to understand.

I am going to digress now. Take this similar approach and apply it to everything. For example, when the bible or Quran or whatever scripture says kill the disbeliever, how does it not contradict love all mankind. If we take disbelievers as meaning disbelieving attitude that is within ourselves, then we won't make the mistake of prosecuting actual people.

In reality, no one can change another person by force. It does not work and has never worked. The best way is to shower that person with love until he realizes it for himself, even if he is racist. Forgive them. Violence breeds more violence.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well maybe it could have been a teachable moment. I'm not saying you should get up on a soap box and preach but just conveying that you didn't appreciate it might...might just plant a little seed. Maybe the next time his 17 year old niece tries to get a laugh out of him he sends a little signal to her that he doesn't appreciate it. Maybe she starts to question her behavior and attitudes.

Silence can be misconstrued as approval. Live and let live is a fine sentiment until what you let live is harmful. Racism is harmful.
  17. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Silence often denotes complicity..
  18. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Right. I should have said condemn racism. Thanks for pointing out the distinction.
  19. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I have tried that with some of my family in OH to no avail. Ignorant people don't mind being ignorant. To them it isn't something to be ashamed of.

My cousin was telling a story to the family at a party (in front of 25 or so people) about how when she went to college (some tiny college in SE Ohio - Rio Grande or something) she hung the Stars and Bars in her dorm room to let everyone know who was and was not welcome in there.

Even my attempt at "shamming her" was fruitless.

Stupid is as stupid does.
  20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +341 / 3 / -13

No, I used to try that but never will again. People like that often show you a pic to engage you in an argument and I don't bite.

Besides, I have more important things to do than to try to teach a grown man a lesson. I really don't care how my reaction is construed 47.

And I agree, racism is harmful and I don't engage in it. That is all that matters to me. Not my job to change other people.

May sound harsh, but I only have so much energy to expend.

"Live & Let Live" is one of my "guiding" philosophies...along with "Easy Does It" and "Let go and Let God".

We're all different 47 and those principle work very well for me personally.