PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sad About Branch? - Read This !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Here are some of the key players that have left the Patriots in each of Belichick's off season's with the team:

Bruce Armstrong
Chad Eaton
Andy Katzenmoyer
Max Lane
Chris Slade
Greg Spires

Drew Bledsoe
Terry Glenn
Brian Cox
Matt Stevens
Jermaine Wiggins

Marc Edwards
Tebucky Jones
Lawyer Milloy
Greg Robinson-Randall
Otis Smith

Terrell Buckley
Mike Compton
Bobby Hamilton
Anthony Pleasant
Antowain Smith
Ted Washington
Damien Woddy

Joe Andruzzi
Ted Johnson
Ty Law
David Patten
Roman Phifer
Keith Traylor

Willie McGinest
Adam Vinatieri
Tom Ashworth
Deion Branch
Christian Fauria
David Givens
Bethel Johnson
Duane Starks

And you know what happens each year when we lose these guys? It hurts to see them go, but then we get excited because the new guys they bring in are really good too - often better, and they are often younger and less expensive and our overall team depth gets deeper. If you saw this same list with who got brought in each year yo'd smile and say 'WOW - WHAT A GREAT TRACK RECORD - THAT'S A STEADY STREAM OF GREAT TALENT BEING BROUGHT IN AND GROOMED YEAR AFTER YEAR'.
I hate to see Deion go too, and I don't like hearing the pats locker room is down, but you know what? they'll be fine, both emotionally and talent wise, so just give it some time. this team will be rolling again real soon and now we are all set for another great draft!
gostkowski will replace vinatieri just fine
seau will replace mcginest just fine
gabriel and jackson will replace branch and givens just fine
plus we got maroney
plus we got mills and thomas
plus we got ocallahan
plus we got sullivan
and PLUS we got seattle's number one next draft! (ha!)

it's unfortunate what happened with deion, and I'm disgusted with him as well, the way there were no counter offers and he held the team hostage afte signing a contract, but if he wanted the money that bad for his 'kids' and his 'sense of fairness' then so be it - what were the pats suppossed to do? just give it to him? he's gone and players and fans alike will have to get over it. a few nice catches by gabriel and jackson and we'll all be quickly getting over it just like we did with milloy once we saw rodney hitting people out there!

im still mad about chris slade, he was one of my favorites

gostkowski will replace vinatieri just fine
seau will replace mcginest just fine
gabriel and jackson will replace branch and givens just fine

all of these are huge assumptions. I like the optimism thoug.

Keegs said:

heh heh - chris slade!

oh well.

There's clearly a trend to these players careers going downhill after leaving the Pats. I believe Law made last year's Pro Bowl but that is about it, I think.

All_Around_Brown said:

first of all - I don't think they are.

secondly - look at the track record - it happens year after year - and we are always nervous about it - and it's always just fine.

they bring in really good talent to replace these guys.

relax - you'll see.

I already love our kicker!

Excellent Post!

People might think you are too optimistic but its a much better than the doomsday attitude most people have.

I loved everything about Branch but, this is the business of professional sports. I refuse to fall into the poor Deion bs because it would take me 20-30 years to make the money he makes in one year and the reality is that I got to feed my kids and put them through college!

Anyway, I was wrong about Donald Hayes and David Terrell's impact with the Pats, I hope the Gabriel and Jackson can get their ***es on the field and prove to us all that we are going to be fine at WR.

Stay positive!!!!!

SamBam39 said:
first of all - I don't think they are.

secondly - look at the track record - it happens year after year - and we are always nervous about it - and it's always just fine.

they bring in really good talent to replace these guys.

relax - you'll see.

I already love our kicker!

I hope you are right, but right now I don't see anything on paper to make the claim you make, especially with the greatest clutch kicker in NFL history..

In keeping with this, I predict that the following players will not be here next year:

Troy Brown (ouch)
Daniel Graham
Corey Dillon
Don Davis
Patrick Pass
Junior Seau (no kidding)
Rodney Harrison

Well, actually I'm hoping that Rodney reads this and cites it as us giving him "no respect", assuring his return with Fire and Fury for another year.

All_Around_Brown said:
I hope you are right, but right now I don't see anything on paper to make the claim you make, especially with the greatest clutch kicker in NFL history..

Look Chad Jackson was a highly, highly sought after reciever in the draft.
eveyone wanted him. ask any team and they will say they expect him to be really really good. he's just been hurt - that's all.

Doug Gabriel - the raiders fans are pissed he got traded! He is considered a real talent around the league and the pats are thought to have stolen him with a 5th rounder. He was really starting to develop and come into his own but was behind two other starters in oakland - and he still had good numbers - he should hang great numbers with the pats - and he's big and fast.

vinatieri, while he will always be a folk hero to pats fans and a legend, he is getting towards his later years, is being hurt more often and is making more misses in the clutch. look back at his recent record - he's blown some big kicks. now - we all forgive him because we love him and know what he can do, but he wanted big bucks and so he's gone. are you telling me all the other 31 teams in the nfl who don't have vinatieiri can't win? no, of course not. so we got the most sought after kicker in the draft - a few other teams already said they were gonna take him, he's got a stronger leg than adam and can boom 50 yarders. he's shown good accuracy and good poise. you know, adam was a rookie once too. gotta start somewhere. all good things must come to an end. brady will be gone someday too. face it. but the beautiful thing is how we are timing these things just right, getting alot for these guys, and finding terrific repalcements so we don't skip a beat. look at the pats roster. look at the talent. look at the ages. look at our salary cap situation. look at 5 staright winning seasons. look at 3 straight division titles. Look at 3 lombardi's in the past 5 years. this team is being run right and adjusts great when they have a problem. I am not worried at all. I think this team can go all the way again. yes - with gabriel and jackson instead of deion, who was not with us when we won it all in 2001.

Last edited:
DUANE STARKS?

hahaha, thanks for the laugh... in no shape or form was he ever a "key" player.

drew4008 said:
DUANE STARKS?

hahaha, thanks for the laugh... in no shape or form was he ever a "key" player.

heh heh - yeah your right!

what was I thinking?

guess I just meant he had high expectations and then was gone.

he did totally s**k though.

I'm still annoye with getting rid of Wiggins, I always liked him.

Most of our players, especially on defense have a tendency to go downhill after leaving our club. Very few times under the current FO, do we get rid of a player in their prime and they go on to do better...

I'm not worried about Branch, we'll get by...

The Bills almost beat you. I repeat....the Bills almost beat you.

Translation...
.....................y'all suck.

Just to add to Sam's point....In the past 5yrs try and name a Key Player that left and has done better than he'd done for the Pats. Take your time....there now, IMO-- NONE, ZERO, NADA!!!!!! That's pretty remarkable, and I think gives BB/Pioli a more than decent track record on compensation/talent evaluations, don't you?

Keegs said:

His is the only Patriots jersey I own. I don't want to own jerseys anymore when the roster turns over that much and I don't want a Brady jersey, too much of a pretty boy West Coaster. Maybe a Troy Brown one or Kevin Faulk.

Almost only counts with horsehoes and hand grenades.

The Fins almost won. Translation - They LOST.
The Pats almost lost. Translation - They WON.

One team is 1.000 for the season and the other is .000. I think even you can understand that? Keep on trolling. We'll keep on laughing as Culpepper implodes when the game is on the line. Hope you enjoy watching the Pats in the playoffs because the Fins don't look like they have a chance right now.

:) Thank you come again!

Infinsible said:

Last edited:
All_Around_Brown said:
I'm not sold on seau. he and mcginest are two totally different players size wise and skill set wise.

You're tied for last place with them, so shut yer yap, slappy.

Infinsible said:

Translation...
.....................y'all suck.

I'm sorry, but did you just refer to Andy Katzenmoyer as a key player? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes