PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sacks given up by each left tackle this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
This seems kind of silly to me.

Quarterbacks are just as responsible for sacks as their lineman are. Theres a lot of evidence that quarterbacks are more responsible than the lineman (when QBs change teams, the QB's sack rates tend to stay similar).

That, and theres no description of how they're deciding responsibility. Did the LT get beat, or was there supposed to be TE there? Was he supposed to pick up the blitzing OLB, or was that the RB's job? Was he supposed to slide in and help out the guard?

The patriots regressing from 21 sacks to 47 had very little to do with the line, and everything to do with Cassel's pocket awareness starting at awful and progressing to average.

Poor statistics are worse than no statistics.

Some of it was surely Cassel's fault, but 26 more sacks allowed?? I could not blame that all on Cassel. The Pats pass protection was not very good this season, and the OL must take their share of the blame too. Most of us have been talking about upgrading Light for years. It's interesting to note that one of the guys I really liked in the draft, Clady, had the fewest sacks given up this year. I mean, wow, a rookie coming in and doing that?

I've never been a Matt Light fan...anyone know the offsides/false start stats? This was a surprisingly good year for sir jumps a lot, but I'd bet he is still middle of the pack at best in that regard this season.

I didn't even need this stat to tell me that Matt Light sucks and is a backup right tackle at best, not a starting left tackle.

I didn't even need this stat to tell me that Matt Light sucks and is a backup right tackle at best, not a starting left tackle.

If I ever start to ask you about talent evaluation, remind me that you made this claim, so I can stop wasting my time.

Last edited:
the only game I can really recall Light having a bad day was the Pitts game. the rest I would like to see which games they were and I would have to bet that these were all in the first 8 games of the season when Cassell was still learning how to feel the rush.

i think OT is a position we are definitely considering in the draft this year in the first 2 rounds. i doubt we would upgrade during FA because they tend to be very expensive.

Interesting stats ,Deus I, statistics alone do not tell the whole story ,as Synovia and LB point out,but they can show trends.A good post.

Sorry,meant Disco V for starting the thread,DI usually has good posts also.......:)

The two sacks Harrison had in the Pitt game are directly on Light. I don't remember the other 5.5.

For me the refrain isn't pointless. Should offensive linemen be on our first board this year? Who? How many? and how high is the priority?

Mayo has been very special. Belichick and Pioli evaluated this perfect fit very, very well. The relevance is that, if there were no Mayo available, I believe would have taken Clady or Albert in a heartbeat. The need on the OL was there, and is still there. Others believe that it would have been nuts to draft an offensive lineman, and would be nuts to consider one in 2009.

On other threads, there are some who are saying that we wouldn't have a guard on our first round draft value board for the 2009 draft.

I liked Clady a lot too - but it's a pointless refrain given how Mayo did.

WRT Kaczur, I think that Ryan O'Callagan played pretty well toward the end of 07, and I thought his injury was significant. It would be nice to see him compete for a spot next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes