PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saban learned all his drafting skills.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
from guess who.......BB...AKA the master....but you can learn from a genius and get some things down....but the real genius in BB can not be learned, absorbed etc. Does anyone here see Nick Saban taking Logan Mankins with the first pick last year? Mankins (in my honest opinion) was a great pick.....that no one saw coming...........and NONE of the other coaches/scouts ever had him that high......some didn't even seem like they knew who he was at all.....and there is BB......with that smirk on his face....Saban isn't in BB's category.....imho......

stcjones said:
from guess who.......BB...AKA the master....but you can learn from a genius and get some things down....but the real genius in BB can not be learned, absorbed etc. Does anyone here see Nick Saban taking Logan Mankins with the first pick last year? Mankins (in my honest opinion) was a great pick.....that no one saw coming...........and NONE of the other coaches/scouts ever had him that high......some didn't even seem like they knew who he was at all.....and there is BB......with that smirk on his face....Saban isn't in BB's category.....imho......

Yes Mankins was a great pick...at number 32, not number 2. Saban could not have drafted him with the spot he held. It is too soon to tell if Saban is a better or worse drafter than BB. Sometimes the student surpasses the master, ala BB and Parcells.

stcjones said:

You can really thank the entire scouting organization for Mankins. I am not sure what Miami has down there, buyt I am pretty sure it pales in comparison to that of the Pats.

Does Saban use his own people for analyzing and setting his draft board or does he use one of the Draft Sevices?

Saban is a smart guy on his own. We don't say BB owes all his skills to Parcells. Well, I don't, at least.

Not sure how Saban operates, but BB surrounds himself with intelligence and a lot of football savvy, one of the questions I would like to ask BB is what happens in their "war room"...how do you prepare?..who has input?...is it a democratic process? what criteria do you use for a pick? I am sure it ultimately comes down to his final decision, but how they arrive at it would love to be a fly on the wall. I never comment on draftees, as there are so many variables that I can never figure from this organization. The Mankins pick is an excellent example, who woulda thought..I wait till Saturday, then have to really think about why they did what they did.

I don't doubt BB has taught Saban much, but Saban hasn't watched BB draft since Cleveland while I don't have their drafts in front of me, I don't think they were anything special. I honestly believe the one man who NEVER gets enough credit for all things behind the scenes and who might even have more influence then Pioli is Ernie Adams, BB's true right-hand man.

TeamPats said:
I don't doubt BB has taught Saban much, but Saban hasn't watched BB draft since Cleveland while I don't have their drafts in front of me, I don't think they were anything special. I honestly believe the one man who NEVER gets enough credit for all things behind the scenes and who might even have more influence then Pioli is Ernie Adams, BB's true right-hand man.

I agree Ernie is a real behind the scenes player, who BB trusts and relies on, they along with SP create quite a braintrust. This is the difference between this team and the also rans.

GJAJ15 said:
Not sure how Saban operates, but BB surrounds himself with intelligence and a lot of football savvy, one of the questions I would like to ask BB is what happens in their "war room"...how do you prepare?..who has input?...is it a democratic process? what criteria do you use for a pick? I am sure it ultimately comes down to his final decision, but how they arrive at it would love to be a fly on the wall. I never comment on draftees, as there are so many variables that I can never figure from this organization. The Mankins pick is an excellent example, who woulda thought..I wait till Saturday, then have to really think about why they did what they did.

I'm not sure how much Saban "learned" from BB since they've not worked together since Cleveland and BB always says they are equals. In this respect, Saban is not like Mangini. However, according to the article below, the system Saban uses is like that of BB. The article states Saban thought it originally developed with Parcells but in Patriot Reign BB credits Saban with developing the system and specifically how it relates to grading defensive players.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...pr24,0,5781405.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Ok heres the reality check:

Saban created the Defensive player draft ranking for belichick in cleveland and it is still used today by him. If you want proof just ask BB..or even better read the foreward that he wrote for saban's book: "How good do you want to be"

Saban uses his own staff for all his scouting. General manager Randy mueller is in charge but saban has all final say. Randy has a pretty good record with his mid-lower picks and is a little hit-or miss with the first round. Thats for when he worked for the seahawks and the saints. At one point in louisiana Randy had these 4 QB's in Training camp : Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Jeff blake , Aaron brooks.

If you want to know how saban drafts here's a link. Coincadentally it's the same system used by the pats. Good article.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...pr24,0,5781405.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

I am not saying that Saban taught BB everything. In cleveland they worked hand in hand helping each other. Saban brought in ideas and so did BB. BUT bill also brought in ideas from Bill parcells and i bet pioli had some say also.

Lastly 2 great quotes:
"I have probably learned more from nick saban than he has learned from me"
-Bill Belichick

"I am very fond of all the things that Bill showed and taught me over the years.."
-Saban

Chevagus said:
I'm not sure how much Saban "learned" from BB since they've not worked together since Cleveland and BB always says they are equals. In this respect, Saban is not like Mangini. However, according to the article below, the system Saban uses is like that of BB. The article states Saban thought it originally developed with Parcells but in Patriot Reign BB credits Saban with developing the system and specifically how it relates to grading defensive players.

Saban and BB were constant friends during the off-seasons and frequently vacationed with each other. There is a reason why LSU grads took very quickly to BB's system. (R. Gay)

Welker83 said:
Ok heres the reality check:

Saban created the Defensive player draft ranking for belichick in cleveland and it is still used today by him. If you want proof just ask BB..or even better read the foreward that he wrote for saban's book: "How good do you want to be"

Saban uses his own staff for all his scouting. General manager Randy mueller is in charge but saban has all final say. Randy has a pretty good record with his mid-lower picks and is a little hit-or miss with the first round. Thats for when he worked for the seahawks and the saints. At one point in louisiana Randy had these 4 QB's in Training camp : Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Jeff blake , Aaron brooks.

If you want to know how saban drafts here's a link. Coincadentally it's the same system used by the pats. Good article.

I am not saying that Saban taught BB everything. In cleveland they worked hand in hand helping each other. Saban brought in ideas and so did BB. BUT bill also brought in ideas from Bill parcells and i bet pioli had some say also.

Lastly 2 great quotes:
"I have probably learned more from nick saban than he has learned from me"
-Bill Belichick

"I am very fond of all the things that Bill showed and taught me over the years.."
-Saban
Nicely done, I really love seeing the results when a creative team works so well together and is effective at benching the egos. The Dolphins were where I expected them to be in Nick's first year and despite my critique of Culpepper's mental game, I can see where Nick will get the most out of his team again and it will be tough competition for the Pats. I also expect something similar to Nick's with the Tangini Jets, thank God for Ralphie and the Bills.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Nicely done, I really love seeing the results when a creative team works so well together and is effective at benching the egos. The Dolphins were where I expected them to be in Nick's first year and despite my critique of Culpepper's mental game, I can see where Nick will get the most out of his team again and it will be tough competition for the Pats. I also expect something similar to Nick's with the Tangini Jets, thank God for Ralphie and the Bills.

The dolphins exceeded my expectations. I was figuring 8-8 at best and prolly 7-9...and we were being laughed at for those estimates. I do believe that the fins will contend for the division title, but no way will i write off the PATS! (Unless of course you guys are handing away games...Broncos :D ) I tend to stay away from projections till TC cause so many things can happen till the season starts (Trades, Retirements, Cuts, Injuries, Complete global meltdown). I will say however that the gap between our respective teams is closing...But a good draft could easily enlarge the distance, and as we only have 3 "real" picks i'll try to keep my quoted content to a minimum.

The scary thing about this division is that 3 of the top 4 guys all know each other and used to work together. Talk about some dirty little secrets...

And thank god for ralph and the helpless soon to be homeless Bills.

good point.....

TeamPats said:

Ernie Adams is very talented....so is Pioli......there are alot of other guys that are very valuable to the organization as far as drafting talent.....but BB is the master!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back