PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Saban agrees with Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Satan had previously talked to Taylor about Taylor's thoughts of retirement, I wonder if that potential loss was yet another factor in his decision to quit and run away to Bammer?

Miami's defense was definitely long in the tooth. I'm sure that played into the decision.

Terrible cap position??? Do you even know what you're talking about??

He does
You don't
Ask yourself how much cap space the Phins have in 2007
And then don't forget to list the # of the current 53 that are UNSIGNED and not included, possibly close to 30 EDIT: 'signed' see next post
Any upgrades will cost even more money, including signing YET ANOTHER vet QB as a stopgap
A #1 pick will be needed to get a QB project for down the road

The franchise is HOSED for the next couple years

Last edited:
Terrible cap position??? Do you even know what you're talking about??

Well, according to the this link:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...1.htmlstory?coll=sfla-sports-utility-dolphins

The Dolphins have 91.2 million commited to the cap for 2007, but only 35 players signed. From what I can find, the following Dolphins will be free agents: (just to name a few)
Cleo Lemon - QB
Darian Barnes - FB
Patrick Cobbs - RB
Wes Welker - WR
David Bowens - DE
Keith Traylor - DT
Vonnie Holliday - DT
Jeff Zgonina - DT
Kevin Vickerson- DT
Donnie Spragan - LB
Jeremiah Bell - S
Traveres Tillman - S
Norman LeJeune - S
John Denney - DL
Jack Hunt - S
Dan Stevenson - OL
Toniu Fonoti - OL (could only find that he was signed.)
Eddie Jackson - CB
Kendyl Jacox - OL
Donnie Jones - P
Shane Matthews - QB
Robert McCune - LB
Damian MacIntosh - OL

From where I am standing, You've got some big holes on the lines to fill. Heck, your entire starting D-line, with the exception of Kevin Carter, are free agents.

I for one think Saban made the right decision. Every move he made would be viewed in our own professions as promotions to other companies. I would not hesitate to take a better job elsewhere for more money and power. As for the step back to college, I think Saban has reached about as high as he can go via power and money and he was able to leverage that into a more fitting enviornment much like one of us taking an easier job in our late adulthood to better our family life. I would take the Bama job over the Miami job every time.

P.S. Saban also gave us Randall Gay who while has been MIA of late was an incredible steal as an UDFA and whom made a great contribution in 2004.

He should have quit.
He showed that he was clueless in the NFL with his signing of Culpepper instead of Brees.

thats not entirely true, compare the numbers....in 04 culpepper had a mvp worthy season, its just that peyton overshadowed him with his record breaking season

360 degree rotator cuff surgery, a major surgery on brees' throwing arm....and a knee injury to culpepper

i really think, although brees' is the better qb, i cant blame saban and the dolphins organization for going for culpepper.....then again, culpepper is nothing without randy moss....terrible 05 season befor ehe got hurt....

i guess the bar was set way too high for the phins this year, and this failure of a season for the phins is what gave enough momentum for saban to leave

Thank you for proving my point for me. Saban hasn't stayed in one place for more than 5 years. At 5 years, he gets the itch to move on. And, in his last 2 coaching positions, he's quit before his contract was up. Saban signed a contract extension in 2003 to stay at LSU only to have him change his story and leave after the 2004 season. And, now, look what he did with Miami. Walked out on his contract.

DaBruinz, you say that as if moving from job to job is unusual in coaching, but it's pretty much the norm. I can think of a fellow named Belichick who has worked for 7 different NFL teams and who walked out on an NFL HC contract in pretty dramatic fashion. :)

Up until this week, every move Saban has made has simply been a step up the ladder. You do well at one level at get a good opportunity at the next -- the natural path of success. What's the big deal?

Well, according to the this link:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...1.htmlstory?coll=sfla-sports-utility-dolphins

The Dolphins have 91.2 million commited to the cap for 2007, but only 35 players signed. From what I can find, the following Dolphins will be free agents: (just to name a few)
Cleo Lemon - QB
Darian Barnes - FB
Patrick Cobbs - RB
Wes Welker - WR
David Bowens - DE
Keith Traylor - DT
Vonnie Holliday - DT
Jeff Zgonina - DT
Kevin Vickerson- DT
Donnie Spragan - LB
Jeremiah Bell - S
Traveres Tillman - S
Norman LeJeune - S
John Denney - DL
Jack Hunt - S
Dan Stevenson - OL
Toniu Fonoti - OL (could only find that he was signed.)
Eddie Jackson - CB
Kendyl Jacox - OL
Donnie Jones - P
Shane Matthews - QB
Robert McCune - LB
Damian MacIntosh - OL

From where I am standing, You've got some big holes on the lines to fill. Heck, your entire starting D-line, with the exception of Kevin Carter, are free agents.

If that list is accurate, I'd simply DIE if the Patriots didn't try like hell to sign Welker. I love that kid, and hate that he plays for the a-hole Dolphins.

Most intriguing potential that i see here is
Wes Welker finds staying in Miami less attractive.

DaBruinz seems to have a similar idea.

thats not entirely true, compare the numbers....in 04 culpepper had a mvp worthy season, its just that peyton overshadowed him with his record breaking season

360 degree rotator cuff surgery, a major surgery on brees' throwing arm....and a knee injury to culpepper

i really think, although brees' is the better qb, i cant blame saban and the dolphins organization for going for culpepper.....then again, culpepper is nothing without randy moss....terrible 05 season befor ehe got hurt....

i guess the bar was set way too high for the phins this year, and this failure of a season for the phins is what gave enough momentum for saban to leave

A faux MVP season. Look at his WR.
Brees is noted for having a Brady style work ethic and study of the game. Culpepper is just big and ran up stats throwing long to a talent who could outjump and outbody DBs my size for the ball. An astute coach should have noted this and Culpepper's inability to read defenses. Saban did not.

Saban got in trouble with his mouth. The writing was on the wall and you could tell his heart wasn't really into it. So no big surprise here.

If that's the case, it makes him look really smart the way he kept letting them offer more and more money/incentives to go to 'Bama! Genius, really! Alabama completely tossed their leverage out the window in pursuit of Saban. I would have gone too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes