Welcome to PatsFans.com

S Jermaine Phillips: worth a look?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by jmt57, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0

Apparently Tampa Bay has made little or no effort to re-sign him yet; perhaps Jermaine Phillips would be worth considering as a replacement for Rodney Harrison's roster spot?

Jermaine Phillips, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Phillips has been around for seven seasons now and has made a name for himself as a capable safety. He has eleven career interceptions, including four in ’07 and three this season. The safety made a career-high 109 total tackles in ’06 and has the ability to create turnovers from time to time with seven forced fumbles in the past three seasons. Phillips will provide a team with a quality run-support type safety that can provide adequate help in coverage. He missed five games due to injury this year, which could hurt his contract offers.

A 30 year old guy coming off a season with injuries is a negative, but it may also keep his price low. More suited to playing in the box than coverage - i.e., somebody to take Rodney's place. More of a run defense type of guy, but can handle a TE or RB in coverage. Pure speculation on my part, but thought it was worth consideration after I saw the pats as a possible destination on another board.
  2. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

maybe a looky-loo... but, I dunno much about him.
  3. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,028 / 25 / -45

No Jersey Selected

Eh, all of Tampa Bay's defense looked old and tired at the end of last season... especially the secondary. Beware castoff Bucs players.
  4. NE39

NE39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Part of the reason they looked that way was because Phillips got hurt at mid-season. He returned for their last 3 games and made a bunch of tackles, but was playing hurt.

Phillips is a real good player. He is a big, physical guy who still is around the ball in the passing game. He basically took over the John Lynch role in that defense in recent years and performed very well.

I think the big problem with signing him is he will probably gather a lot of interest and make good money. I doubt the Pats will want to invest big FA dollars in a S, even if he is a good player. Phillips is probably the top FA S available out there, with the only other guy rated with him being Brian Dawkins, who is older.
  5. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +112 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

I'ld be happy to get him...IMO our biggest need is DBs and the CB market is thin so Safety is a position we should get a vet at becuase we may have some real young CBs next year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.