Ryan O'Callaghan vs. Wesley Britt

Status
Not open for further replies.
PatsFanInVa said:
Last year O Line was an issue O-Line
---
cut
---
is a place where you plug the parts in at your peril.. they need playing time together, or it is a fustercluck. So logically you want minimal injuries (even moreso than elsewhere.)
--
cut
--

.....fustercluck?????

I disagree with you guys on Gorin. Most of you would take an inexperienced rookie and replace last year's starting RT. Further, on game day you are count on Kaycur starting at RT and having O'Callaghan or Britt as the game day backup. I can't see it.
-------------------------------------------------------
STARTERS Light,Mankins,Koppen,Neal,Kaycur

GAME DAY BACKUPS Hochstein and Gorin
For me, it is unlikely that either of last year's starters will be beaten out of a game day spot, certainly not out of a roster spot. Game day backup OL's backup 2-3 positions, and are usually veterans.

It is also possible that Kaycur won't be beat out Gorin as the starter at RT. Finally, it is possible that Light might not be ready (I expect that he will). In any case, IMHO, Gorin is a valuable backup.
--------------------------------------------------------
THE LAST TWO ROSTER SPOTS - A TACKLE AND A GUARD
These players could be a developmental player or an all-around veteran. I think Britt and O'Callaghan will duke it out for tackle spot with O'Calaghan winning and Britt to the practice squad. It certainly could ahppen the other way round.

There is lots of competition for the guard spot. I'm back and forth on this one. My gut feel is that Tucker makes the squad, and Stevenson goes to Practice Squad. I believe that Tucker can play all the OL positions, a perfect #8 OL.

flutie2phelan said:
What an exhilarating thread!

Besides patchick's sage observations, RayClay had this thought ... to which i also subscribe:

If one of those guys can't beat Gorin I will be really disappointed in both.

mgteich said:
Most of you would take an inexperienced rookie and replace last year's starting RT.
Well, I don't think they are saying "Let's find an inexperienced rookie (is there an experienced rookie?) to replace the starting RT."

I think they are saying that one of Britt/Callaghan will be better than Gorin. It doesn't matter who the rookies/vets are. It is a case of which player is better.

A lot is made here about "how can you replace a vet with a rookie?" but the fact is that 255 guys are drafted each year for the specific purpose of replacing a vet, and at least 2/3 of them do bump a vet off the team.

1) We should have four OT's. Light and Kancur are two of them.
2) I think one of Britt or O'Callaghan will make the team.
3) I don't expect dante to go into Game One with O'Callaghan or Britt as the backup LT.
4) I expect Gorin (and Hochstein) to make the roster because it very reasonable to have two experienced backups at two of the four backup spots.
5) Posters are acting as Gorin is the #9 OL on the team, ripe to beaten out. I think this is far from the truth, and there is no reason no to keep inexpensive insurance against injury.

I agree that I would like to see both youngsters beat out Gorin. That would improve the team if they were both indeed better and ready to go. However, I don't expect it to happen.

spacecrime said:
Well, I don't think they are saying "Let's find an inexperienced rookie (is there an experienced rookie?) to replace the starting RT."

I think they are saying that one of Britt/Callaghan will be better than Gorin. It doesn't matter who the rookies/vets are. It is a case of which player is better.

A lot is made here about "how can you replace a vet with a rookie?" but the fact is that 255 guys are drafted each year for the specific purpose of replacing a vet, and at least 2/3 of them do bump a vet off the team.

This is why I'd love a Dave Thomas to be able to long snap for real or to save a roster spot in a similar manner so that we can keep an extra player here or here. If Thomas can do it, I'd much prefer to keep Stevenson or Britt over Paxton.

Gorin is history.

Both Britt and O'Callahan are better backup RT options than Gorin.

I think O'Callahan may get a good look at RG as well. His strength is run blocking.

Anyonelse see O'Callahan pushing Neal at the RG spot. He was ranked a 2nd or 3 rounder in most pre-draft mocks. Pats were probably happy to see him still available in round 5.

RayClay said:

Agree. I'd like to see these guys knock Gorin off the 53, 'though I appreciate his contribution.

BelichickFan said:
This is why I'd love a Dave Thomas to be able to long snap for real or to save a roster spot in a similar manner so that we can keep an extra player here or here. If Thomas can do it, I'd much prefer to keep Stevenson or Britt over Paxton.

Obviously, it's fine to "hope" this, but you should really put it out of your head. Thomas has NEVER long-snapped in a game. Ever. Paxton is, quite simply, THE BEST LONG-SNAPPER in the NFL. It'll be nice to have emergency depth in the form of Mills and/or Thomas, but replacing Paxton with either is a pipe-dream, and a terribly risky one at that.

patsox23 said:
Obviously, it's fine to "hope" this, but you should really put it out of your head. Thomas has NEVER long-snapped in a game. Ever. Paxton is, quite simply, THE BEST LONG-SNAPPER in the NFL. It'll be nice to have emergency depth in the form of Mills and/or Thomas, but replacing Paxton with either is a pipe-dream, and a terribly risky one at that.
It's a risk I'm willing to take. Heck, high school kids can long snap. It's not that difficult.

mgteich said:
I disagree with you guys on Gorin. Most of you would take an inexperienced rookie and replace last year's starting RT. Further, on game day you are count on Kaycur starting at RT and having O'Callaghan or Britt as the game day backup. I can't see it.
-------------------------------------------------------
STARTERS Light,Mankins,Koppen,Neal,Kaycur

My gut feel is that Tucker makes the squad, and Stevenson goes to Practice Squad. I believe that Tucker can play all the OL positions, a perfect #8 OL.

It's not that we prefer inexperience. It is that Gorin has disappointed us ... so we hope to find better. It is a wish, more than a forecast.
Two years ago, BB paid Brandon his contract salary, while he was on the p/s, rather than the p/s union scale.
That was an important signal of confidence.
But Coach requires continuous improvement. Has Gorin improved noticeably over the player he was then?

Agree with your starters ... agree that Tucker makes the 53 ... and agree that Stevenson seems like a p/s-er.

O'Callaghan, though, seems to me to be a classic IR-in-waiting.

BelichickFan said:
It's a risk I'm willing to take. Heck, high school kids can long snap. It's not that difficult.

I agree. I have nothing against Paxton and his little snow angel thing was cool and all but short of long snapping, he has absolutely no value to this team. It baffles me that he has made it this long on a team that stresses versatility in a player.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgteich said:
1) We should have four OT's. Light and Kancur are two of them.
2) I think one of Britt or O'Callaghan will make the team.
mgteilegueche, I love threads on the OL just to see how many different ways you can spell Kaczur. Six letters, come on. Are you saying he's a Kancur in the locker room?

If you can spell O'Callaghan, you can spell Kaczur, and for that matter, McGinest. :bricks:

huskeralk said:
I agree. I have nothing against Paxton and his little snow angel thing was cool and all but short of long snapping, he has absolutely no value to this team. It baffles me that he has made it this long on a team that stresses versatility in a player.

BB has said if you can only do 1 thing you'd better do it better than anyone else. Apparently Paxon is very good at the 1 thing he does. IIRC Hoch is the backup long snapper. Perhaps with AV gone, Hoch will get an opportunity to compete with Paxon and Thomas will be Hoch's backup??

IMO 1 of Britt/O'Callahan will be tried as a G. We could be getting young in THe OL.

RayClay said:
Gorin has started a lot of games for the Patriots including a SB. He has been the primary starter at RT for 2 years. I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect 2 guys who have never played an NFL to be expected to beat him out.
I expect one of the 2 to survive the final cut and one to end up on practice squad. Which? We simply havent seen enough (any?) of either to know/.

flutie2phelan said:
It's not that we prefer inexperience. It is that Gorin has disappointed us ... so we hope to find better. It is a wish, more than a forecast.
Two years ago, BB paid Brandon his contract salary, while he was on the p/s, rather than the p/s union scale.
That was an important signal of confidence.
But Coach requires continuous improvement. Has Gorin improved noticeably over the player he was then?

Agree with your starters ... agree that Tucker makes the 53 ... and agree that Stevenson seems like a p/s-er.

I think going from practice squad player to starter is certainly a noticable improvement.

I'm not the biggest Gorin fan but Britt and O'Callaghan will have to go some distance to beat him out. Backup Tackles are important, if they really can beat out Gorin who's a poor but playable starter, that would be a good thing but I think it's unlikely.

Getting young?

patsfan13 said:
BB has said if you can only do 1 thing you'd better do it better than anyone else. Apparently Paxon is very good at the 1 thing he does. IIRC Hoch is the backup long snapper. Perhaps with AV gone, Hoch will get an opportunity to compete with Paxon and Thomas will be Hoch's backup??

IMO 1 of Britt/O'Callahan will be tried as a G. We could be getting young in THe OL.

Not we would be getting young. We are young. The Pats have an O-line with 10 potential starters, seven good enough to start and win a Super Bowl. And 4 more who are not typical PS never-weres, like Roehl is. And not a single one is over thirty! This Oline will be good for a lot of years. It is getting to the point that there is little room to put even good starters into the 3rd reserve position on any of the Offensive squads.

Last edited:
flutie2phelan said:

Hmm...we're talking about a promising OT prospect who needs work on technique and might project to guard. What would the value of an IR year be? I definitely want him out there practicing and working with Dante.

More likely, I think, is the Gorin treatment for one of the two young RTs -- offer a practice squad job at live-roster salary.

In last year's TC, Gorin was beaten out by Kaczur for the backup T job. So I'd be very surprised if Kaczur isn't in the starting OL when camp opens up this year. And I won't be surprised if Gorin is beaten out by one or both of Britt/O'Callaghan. I appreciate Gorin's durability and experience. But his limited effectiveness at RT and inability to play any other position diminish his value.

Another thing when judging Gorin is that you have to look at his upside. He has none. IMO, he's as good as he's going to get. However, O'C and Britt have upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back