PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

Well, those issues may never have been a real situation to begin with. It is enough to scare some teams away, but it doesn't mean they are real.

Again, many people thought Mallett was the best QB in the draft. Polian could be one of them. He could also think he is garbage. Who knows?

We are just talking hypotheticals at this point.

Again, before last week, drafting a QB before the sixth or seventh round was ridiculous to Polian. Now they need to consider trying to trade up to get Andrew Luck next year or another contingency plan.

Again, IF the Colts do end up trading for Mallett, it will most likely be a second rounder. I woudn't even bet on that at this point. There is a decent chance that Polian doesn't draft a Qb next year, pays Manning the $28 million option bonus, and just believes in blind faith at Manning returns to his elite status next year.

What would motivate the Pats to trade a 3rd round QB who they stole at #83, to a hated rival who is desperate, for such a small markup in price.

Why would the Pats be motivated to trade their potential Brady-successor already? Unless they have decide that they don't like him for the future, I can't see any way they trade him now for less than a #1.

Who has a comparable young talent at QB available?

Simple supply and demand.

Last edited:

I would take a #2 for him in the upcoming draft (which would have to be the minimum asking price now for us to want to do a trade). The Colts 2 will likely be high next year, close to a first rounder.

Same basic operation for both players.

The thing that would keep Manning out for life would be fear of further damage to his neck, not that his accuracy or ability to quickly read a defense would suffer.

The point remains: If Collins doesn't work out, the Colts need a vet QB for this year, not a rookie. They aren't going to give up a first for a QB when Manning might be back. That makes no sense.

Give up the first only IF manning doesn't come back, and they won't know for 2-3 months. Time enough to think about trading when they know more.

Talk about a tempest in a teapot.

I agree. If the Colts were to trade for Mallett, it wouldn't be sooner than the trade deadline and more likely in March of 2012. But if they know in a month that Manning is not recovering like he should, they might gamble on a long term replacement even if it takes a high draft pick. It might not be Mallett though. It could be someone else.

Are you seriously comparing the future franchise QBness of Mallett to Garrard, Beck, and Tebow? If the Colts think Manning may never be the same they aren't looking for a stop gap.

Because they wouldn't be giving up a freaking 1st rounder for those guys!!!!!!

They won't for Mallet either. Get over it. If they offer for Mallet, it would be for a 2nd or lower.

Mallet is a complete zero in the NFL at this point in time - - and he looked dazed and confused most of the preseason against 3rd and 4th stringers. The other guys have actually won a few games and would preserve Indy's option to select a #1 draft pick from among 5-7 blue chippers in 7 months.

Add to that the fact that anyone who knows anything about the Polian family would know they would rather chew off their limbs instead of trading a possible top of round 1st rounder to Belichick for his 3rd string QB.

I would LOVE it if a 1st rounder for Mallet occurred. But time to wake up from that fantasy dream.

Last edited:

Why is it preposterous? It's no less preposterous than organizing a trade in 2011 for 2012 picks.
Its preposterous because no one was willing to take Mallett in the 1st 81 picks, and you expect the Colts to trade a #1 for him before he has done a thing.

Do you not concede that had the Colts known about the severity of Manning's condition come draft time they may have drafted a QB?
What does that have to do with Mallett?

When did draft position become the ultimate measure of a player's worth and projected success in the NFL? If that were the case, Tom Brady would have never seen a snap in the NFL.
When you haven't done anything since 32 teams established your VALUE you have not change your VALUE from a guy going in the 80s to a guy a team would give away a 1st round pick to get.
Spare me the Brady example, Brady wasn't worth a nickel more than his draft slot a few days before the first game of his rookie season.

Who says the Colts don't like Mallett?
Who says they do?

I don't know if they do or they don't but when discussing a hypothetical situation about the possibility that the Colts may have inquired about Mallett, holding your position and refusing to budge is frankly, stupid. I acknowledge that if the Colts are inquiring about Mallett they'll be inquiring about other QB's too.
Holding my position in the face of what? People making ludicrous claims about the value of a player because there is an unconfirmed report a team asked if he was available?
When that report came out my opinion was it is ridiculous to think the Colts would give a #1 pick for him.
You have now called me STUPID for not changing that opinion, apparently based on all of the great info in this thread. Please recap for me, since I am stupid, all of the new facts brought out in this thread that is making my stupidity force me to hold my position based on the ever developing facts.

It's a hypothetical discussion Andy. The sooner you accept that the better.
So should we start a hypothetical discussion about trading Dowling for the Bills #1 pick?
How about Tarpanian for a 3?

Just because its hypothetical doesnt mean it has to be ignorant. The sooner you accept that the better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well,if the Colts are looking for a QB of the future, that pretty much eliminates Tebow, Beck, Carr, or Garrard. None of those guys are more than short term fixes and not even good ones at that. If the Colts actually do trade for mallett is because they think he can replace Manning permanently. Of all the guys mentioned, only Tebow might ever become that QB of the future and that is doubtful.

I look at it this way though. If Belichick thinks that Mallett could become a top tier QB, why would you trade him to the Colts for anything less than their first rounder.

Again, I don't think this trade will happen, but you are comparing two different types of QBs. You are saying that theColts should fix their long term needs at Qb with stop gap fixes over a QB with the potential of being their QB for the next 10 years.
Tebow was a first round draft choice who gained some experience last year.
Mallett was a 3rd round draft choice who hasnt taken an NFL real snap.
How is Tebow ruled out as a QB of the future but Mallett qualifies?
I understand you think Tebow sucks but he was more highly regarded when he was drafted than Mallett was.

Perhaps that will bring some persepctive to this thread.
NFL GMs felt Tebow was a more valuable draft choice than Mallett.
Anyone think the Colts are offering a 1 for Tebow?

I'd take a 2014 #1 for him.
Thats probably better than we will end up getting.
I don't think the Colts would offer that either though.

The funny thing is that I posted the Twitter link that started this earlier tonight in the main Manning thread. At the time, I considered it pure fluff and didn't even consider devoting a whole thread to it. Because even if it were true, obviously nothing could come of it, right? The Pats wouldn't send Mallett to Indy for just a 2nd, the Colts wouldn't dream of parting with a first, and the Colts don't have any players who would make natural value-added parts to the deal. So Polian will look elsewhere.

Over the course of the argument here, though, I've started to see it a little differently. Let's say you're the Colts, and you've decided that Peyton Manning probably won't be your QB for 2012. What the heck do you do?

Do you aim QB in the draft? Ugh, not pretty. It isn't a promising class after Luck, and starting a rookie probably means giving up 2012 as well as 2011...and watching the clock tick down on Wayne, Clark, and Freeney.

So you start to think trade options. Tim Tebow, who doesn't really look like an NFL QB at all? John Beck, who in his 5th season still can't manage to beat out Rex Grossman? David Garrard, as a stopgap? Can you really win with that guy?

I'm thinking I'd call Bill Belichick.

Last edited:

Its preposterous because no one was willing to take Mallett in the 1st 81 picks, and you expect the Colts to trade a #1 for him before he has done a thing.
If you don't acknowledge that it isn't because of Mallett and more to do with Manning then you're not to bright are you.

What does that have to do with Mallett?
Read as above.

When you haven't done anything since 32 teams established your VALUE you have not change your VALUE from a guy going in the 80s to a guy a team would give away a 1st round pick to get.
Spare me the Brady example, Brady wasn't worth a nickel more than his draft slot a few days before the first game of his rookie season.
Perhaps you can poll the 32 clubs and see what their opinions of Ryan Mallett were after his indifferent pre-season were.

Who says they do?
What a childish response.

Holding my position in the face of what? People making ludicrous claims about the value of a player because there is an unconfirmed report a team asked if he was available?
When that report came out my opinion was it is ridiculous to think the Colts would give a #1 pick for him.

You have now called me STUPID for not changing that opinion, apparently based on all of the great info in this thread. Please recap for me, since I am stupid, all of the new facts brought out in this thread that is making my stupidity force me to hold my position based on the ever developing facts.
Ludicrous is not accepting that in a hypothetical discussion hypothetical options will be forwarded.

So should we start a hypothetical discussion about trading Dowling for the Bills #1 pick?
How about Tarpanian for a 3?
Perhaps you can start your own thread in regards to those propositions. I haven't heard those rumors.

Just because its hypothetical doesnt mean it has to be ignorant. The sooner you accept that the better.
The person refusing to accept options is you. That shows your own ignorance that you're unwilling to accept the possibility, even if it's 1% probability of occurring as an option.

Wow some of you are making yourselves look foolish. A first rounder for him? Are you out of your mind?

I would guess we'd even take a high 3rd... don't really see the need for him, mainly because I don't believe we're looking for a "successor" yet. In which case, Hoyer is much more valuable for the fill-in role should Brady ever go down.

Well,if the Colts are looking for a QB of the future, that pretty much eliminates Tebow, Beck, Carr, or Garrard. None of those guys are more than short term fixes and not even good ones at that. If the Colts actually do trade for mallett is because they think he can replace Manning permanently. Of all the guys mentioned, only Tebow might ever become that QB of the future and that is doubtful.

I look at it this way though. If Belichick thinks that Mallett could become a top tier QB, why would you trade him to the Colts for anything less than their first rounder.

Again, I don't think this trade will happen, but you are comparing two different types of QBs. You are saying that theColts should fix their long term needs at Qb with stop gap fixes over a QB with the potential of being their QB for the next 10 years.

No. I'm saying they should use a 2nd or lower for someone who could possibly keep them competitive this year and then have their 1st rounder next year to use on their franchise QB of the future. NO ONE will be able to come in and do what they need at this point this year. Might as well have options for the future instead of blowing the 1st round pick to Belichick who will then have THREE chances to step in front of you for your possibe franchise QB choice next year if Mallet falls off the wagon.

Last edited:

Tebow was a first round draft choice who gained some experience last year.
Mallett was a 3rd round draft choice who hasnt taken an NFL real snap.
How is Tebow ruled out as a QB of the future but Mallett qualifies?
I understand you think Tebow sucks but he was more highly regarded when he was drafted than Mallett was.

Perhaps that will bring some persepctive to this thread.
NFL GMs felt Tebow was a more valuable draft choice than Mallett.
Anyone think the Colts are offering a 1 for Tebow?

Tebow was generally considered a horrible first round pick. Aaron Maybin was a first round pick two years ago and is now a street free agent. Most people believed before the Broncos reached for him that he was not a QB at this level. He is the Broncos' third string QB and if he wasn't a first round pick, he probably would have been cut because Broncos' management have not tried to hide the fact they think he is garbage.

The Broncos would trade Tebow straight up for Mallett right now. Do you think that Belichick would ever make that trade? I know Elway would in a second and probably throw in a pick too.

You are too hung up on where people were drafted and not on what other people think of those draft picks. I am sure if both Tebow and Mallett were street free agents and the Colts could sign either one to whatever they wanted, the Colts would take Mallett over Tebow no matter what they think of Mallett.

All we're doing in this thread is saying "IF this unconfirmed rumor is true, what would it mean? What would he be worth to the Colts, and why?" And one very logical thing it could mean is that the Colts consider Mallett the best young QB who might be available for trade to groom as a 2012 starter.

The issue the Colts have to face is that this season hasn't even started yet. Being a small market team, they can't afford to lose the revenue that a lost season (particularly one that was preordained to be lost) would cause. They need to keep the narrative alive where Manning comes back in December, leads the Colts to the playoffs and resumes his normal duties next year.

Their organization is so insanely built around Manning and so ill-equipped to deal with losing him that they are forced to:
a) Hide how screwed they really are
b) Pray Collins doesn't implode and destroy all hope by Columbus Day
c) Hope Manning doesn't degenerate into a bobblehead for 2012 and beyond

Any move that smells like an admission that Manning is finished and the franchise starts to circle the drain. While it is fun to speculate about Mallett, all it really does is highlight how badly this situation could turn out for Indy.

The issue the Colts have to face is that this season hasn't even started yet. Being a small market team, they can't afford to lose the revenue that a lost season (particularly one that was preordained to be lost) would cause. They need to keep the narrative alive where Manning comes back in December, leads the Colts to the playoffs and resumes his normal duties next year.

Their organization is so insanely built around Manning and so ill-equipped to deal with losing him that they are forced to:
a) Hide how screwed they really are
b) Pray Collins doesn't implode and destroy all hope by Columbus Day
c) Hope Manning doesn't degenerate into a bobblehead for 2012 and beyond

Any move that smells like an admission that Manning is finished and the franchise starts to circle the drain. While it is fun to speculate about Mallett, all it really does is highlight how badly this situation could turn out for Indy.

I have no problem with that. ;)

No. I'm saying they should use a 2nd or lower for someone who could possibly keep them competitive this year and then have their 1st rounder next year to use on their franchise QB of the future. NO ONE will be able to come in and do what they need at this point this year. Might as well have options for the future instead of blowing the 1st round pick to Belichick who will then have THREE chances to step in front of you for your QB choice next year if Mallet falls off the wagon.

Well, the only way they would trade for Mallett is if they were looking for a QB of the future. Now the question is whether they think there is any QB worth taking over Mallett in next year's draft. Just because Mallett went in the third round this year doesn't mean he would have gone that low in next year's draft. This draft was QB heavy. Next year's might not be.

I don't think they should trade for any stop gap QB. None of the options are much better than Collins if better at all. They might as well go with what they have now and tank the season than waste a draft pick to get someone like David Carr and still tank the season.

I never said the Colts would trade a first in the first place. I do think if they are high on the guy, that they should consider offering a second though. Even if Manning comes back, they need to start to develop a QB of the future now. They might think Mallett is as good as anyone else in the draft not named Luck.

Many thought it was preposterous to draft Tebow in the first round but all it took was one guy who felt differently to make it happen. I don't think the #83 has anything to do with it. If Indy makes an offer, it's b/c they like the guy. They may have had a high grade on him but their history tells us they don't place a high value on backup QB's. Until this season, they've gotten away with it. In other words, even if they had him rated as a 1st rounder, they could have passed b/c they didn't want to spend a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on player they felt would spend his entire career on the bench. Manning's injury could be making them reconsider that approach. Right now they're feeling vulnerable and that's when teams overpay. With all due respect Andy, the idea that they'd fork over a #1 is not preposterous. Unlikely, perhaps. Preposterous....no. It all depends on how much they like the guy.

If you don't acknowledge that it isn't because of Mallett and more to do with Manning then you're not to bright are you.
Needing a QB is about Manning, overpaying for Mallett is about Mallett. You don't have to be too bright to get that.

Read as above.
ditto

Perhaps you can poll the 32 clubs and see what their opinions of Ryan Mallett were after his indifferent pre-season were.
Don't have to, I can easily conclide its the same it was on draft day.

What a childish response.
It was a childish question.

Ludicrous is not accepting that in a hypothetical discussion hypothetical options will be forwarded.
So lets hypothetically discuss trading Julian Edleman to the Colts for Reggie Wayne.

Perhaps you can start your own thread in regards to those propositions. I haven't heard those rumors.
There are just as many legitmate rumors about those as there are about this one, and they are equally ridiculous.

The person refusing to accept options is you.

No, I am accepting every option and judging the ridiculous ones to be ridiculous.

That shows your own ignorance that you're unwilling to accept the possibility, even if it's 1% probability of occurring as an option.
I am IGNORANT to not recognize the difference between a 0% chance and a 1% chance?
So in other words any idea ever floated can not be disagreed with or the person who thinks it is unrealistic is ignorant?
Ignorant is to have an opinion that is out of touch with reality, such as a 1% possibility.
Please direct me back to where you have said this is an almost impossibliity that you are arguing the merits of happening.

But by all means keep tossing in the personal insults for me having the audacity to disagree with you. I must deserve alll of them. Or you are just proving you are a douche.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, the only way they would trade for Mallett is if they were looking for a QB of the future. Now the question is whether they think there is any QB worth taking over Mallett in next year's draft. Just because Mallett went in the third round this year doesn't mean he would have gone that low in next year's draft. This draft was QB heavy. Next year's might not be.

I don't think they should trade for any stop gap QB. None of the options are much better than Collins if better at all. They might as well go with what they have now and tank the season than waste a draft pick to get someone like David Carr and still tank the season.

I never said the Colts would trade a first in the first place. I do think if they are high on the guy, that they should consider offering a second though. Even if Manning comes back, they need to start to develop a QB of the future now. They might think Mallett is as good as anyone else in the draft not named Luck.
Which is kind of the point isn't it Rob? I don't think the Colts will trade for Mallett but it's not unreasonable to discuss options, no matter how unlikely they may be.

Hell I even put a smiley face at the end of my first post in the topic knowing it was a far fetched proposition.

I don't like seeing manning hurt, but this is the cusp of the situation. The Colts had an arrogance towards the QB position that Bob Kravitz highlighted in his column condemning the Pats for trying to get a potential QB of the future because Manning was going to not miss a game until he was 40. The Colts never even tried to get a back up who could fill in for a game or two unless the Colts have locked up everything and that QB is just playing so Manning wouldn't get hurt. Now the rooster is coming home to roost.

I think the Colts are in a desperate situation even if Manning comes back this season. They have to decide five days after the football year starts in 2012 whether to pay Manning a $28 million bonus. If they are having second thoughts, they need to know they are going to have the QB of the future on the roster before the start of the 2012 season. There is no guarantees unless they have the #1 overall pick that they will have that QB when they decide to pay or cut or trade Manning unless they trade for a QB or sign one in free agency (assuming there is one on the market).

...I would LOVE it if a 1st rounder for Mallet occurred. But time to wake up from that fantasy dream.

You started a thread about the Patriots currently being in line for the first pick in the draft, and you're complaining because people are discussing a hypothetical in response to a rumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back