PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

The Patriots already have 2 first round picks next year. If the Colts were to offer their first for Mallett, I'd suggest we all help him get out of town.

Package the picks, plus anything else needed, for the #1 overall. Get Luck (assuming his play continues to back up the accolades). Let him learn behind Brady.

Win
You want to give up 2 1s plus whatever it takes to upgrade from Mallett to Luck as a backup QB?
Drinking tonight?

The rookie wage scale makes it attractive to package deals and trade up into high spots IMO.
3 1s for a QB who may be done with his rookie deal before Brady is through?

The rookie wage scale makes it attractive to package deals and trade up into high spots IMO.

Seems that way to me, too, which could make the trades more expensive over time, but that's for the future to tell us. Just as a mental exercise, we can take Luck + 5 years (starting next year), which means Brady would be 39 when Luck's 5 years were up and he was in need of either getting a new deal or being franchised. If you count the franchise tag, the Patriots could theoretically hold Luck as a well paid backup until Brady turned 40.

You want to give up 2 1s plus whatever it takes to upgrade from Mallett to Luck as a backup QB?
Drinking tonight?

As I've mentioned, at THIS moment with the Saints the only 0-1 team, the Pats are in position for the #1 pick anyway!

Trade him for Freeney strait up

I would much rather trade them Mallet (hopefully for a 1st in 2012) and end up with a 1st next year in the #5 - #15 range. Then watch them totally collapse this year and watch Luck fall right into their laps next spring. Sure, watching them totally collapse this year would be satisfying. But think longterm.

If we end up with three 1sts remember, it doesn't have to stay that way. Just like this last spring we can always trade down for future picks.

Agreed, we don't need QBs, OTOH many other teams do and I think the bidding for that #1 pick will be insane, teams will give up crazy amounts in order to get Luck, which could set us up AMAZINGLY well to form another dynasty with all the loot.
Trading up to trade down? Very risky.
Deus wants to trade Mallett for a #1 then package that plus our other 2 #1s plus whatever more it takes to go up and get Luck to sit until Brady is done, if his rookie contract isnt already up.
It sounds like your counter is do that to trde down? Why not just keep the 3 1s?

I would much rather trade them Mallet (hopefully for a 1st in 2012) and end up with a 1st next year in the #5 - #15 range. Then watch them totally collapse this year and watch Luck fall right into their laps next spring. Sure, watching them totally collapse this year would be satisfying. But think longterm.

If we end up with three 1sts remember, it doesn't have to stay that way. Just like this last spring we can always trade down for future picks.

Please. Can we stop this ridiculous fantasizing about the Colts giving the Pats their #1 draft choice for Ryan Mallet?

Ain't gonna happen.

Seems that way to me, too, which could make the trades more expensive over time, but that's for the future to tell us. Just as a mental exercise, we can take Luck + 5 years (starting next year), which means Brady would be 39 when Luck's 5 years were up and he was in need of either getting a new deal or being franchised. If you count the franchise tag, the Patriots could theoretically hold Luck as a well paid backup until Brady turned 40.
Sit the guy on the bench for 5 years, the pay him top 5 QB to sit a 6th, then be a FA again?
Come on.
Doesw Luck have compromising pictiures of you?

Please. Can we stop this ridiculous fantasizing about the Colts giving the Pats their #1 draft choice for Ryan Mallet?

Ain't gonna happen.
There isnt even a credible source saying the Colts even have any interest at all in Mallett

Trading up to trade down? Very risky.
Deus wants to trade Mallett for a #1 then package that plus our other 2 #1s plus whatever more it takes to go up and get Luck to sit until Brady is done, if his rookie contract isnt already up.
It sounds like your counter is do that to trde down? Why not just keep the 3 1s?

I'm not suggesting we trade up to trade down, just speculating that if we were to trade Indy their 2012 1st and they stink it up with Mallett we'd be in position to deal Luck. Wishful thinking, I know.

Trade him for Freeney strait up

I'd rather get Reggie Wayne for a season. He's younger than Ocho!

3 1s for a QB who may be done with his rookie deal before Brady is through?
I never made that comment, I made a comment about the rookie wage scale being an attractive point to package deals to trade up. 2 first rounders would be good enough for pick 1 surely?

All wonderful propositions. I'm genuinely interested to see how the Patriots handle the transition from Tom Brady to the next starter. I'm hopeful of an Aaron Rodgers succession plan.

Ain't gonna happen.

I doubt it will happen either at least without the Pats throwing in a mid round draft pick and even then the odds are slim to none. But it is fun to talk about.

The only way they trade for Mallett is if they think it is greater than 20-30% chance Manning will never play or be the same again. I think if the Colts do trade for Mallett, it tells me that Manning's days are numbered in Indy. I doubt they are ready to make that decision just yet. I a few weeks, who knows. Still a #1 is unlikely.

Sit the guy on the bench for 5 years, the pay him top 5 QB to sit a 6th, then be a FA again?
Come on.
Doesw Luck have compromising pictiures of you?
Oh yeah, I forgot you also want to trade 3 1st round picks, guys who could play those 5 years, for the right to pay #1 pick money plus a franchise for the hope that Luck wont stagnate by never playing football, and then once he does the hope that he isnt another Jay Cutler, Mark Sanchez, David Carr, Alex Smith, Tim Couch, Aliki Smith, Joey Harrington...........................

At this point it's just a rumor about an inquiry. But playing along...

For everybody who feels Mallett wouldn't make sense for the Colts because he's not ready now and they could just draft a successor next year, consider that Manning is due a monster option bonus at the start of next season. Even assuming that he can come back from the surgery, will he be reliable enough to plunk down that $28 million bonus?

If not, the Colts have no qb for 2012. Wouldn't you rather start grooming a talented young guy for the job NOW rather than in April?

I doubt it will happen either at least without the Pats throwing in a mid round draft pick and even then the odds are slim to none. But it is fun to talk about.

The only way they trade for Mallett is if they think it is greater than 20-30% chance Manning will never play or be the same again. I think if the Colts do trade for Mallett, it tells me that Manning's days are numbered in Indy. I doubt they are ready to make that decision just yet. I a few weeks, who knows. Still a #1 is unlikely.
Why wouldnt the Colts just keep the pick and draft a QB?
Why does anyone think Mallett would be their target? They could have drafted him in the 3rd round too.

There isnt even a credible source saying the Colts even have any interest at all in Mallett
Well I did see something on "Bleacher Report":rolleyes:

Ain't gonna happen.

Probably not. But Mallett was a 3rd round pick less than a year ago. Assuming the rumor is legit. I'm sure the Colts aren't expecting one of their biggest rivals to bail them out and not make a tidy profit out of the deal.

Desperate teams overpay.

By 2016, Belichick will own the entire first round of the NFL draft. Perhaps Mallett becomes Luck who becomes Herschel Walker 2.0. This ensures Belichick's eventual complete acquisition of the first round, his greatness eventually consuming and thus ending the NFL like a blackhole. So, in summary, Ryan Mallett is Quetzalcoatl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back