PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett trade speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rumors Galore!! Could Ryan Mallett be traded to....

Get real. Rookie Mallett cannot run the Colts offense. He has not learned how to spin around and flap his arms like a beheaded chicken's wings.

Your right. All we have has seen out of the kid is one of the best performances by a rookie QB this preseason. And 1 game against Detroit that everyone would like to forget. It's not much to go on but I think he's looked very comparable to some of the top QB's taken in this years draft. Everyone knows they messed up if they needed a Qb by not taking Mallett.
I'll take my chances with this as him being a good replacement.

Oh yeah, he did well in preseason games, well that settles it, he's obviously a more than suitable heir to Brady.:rolleyes:

Mallett might work out or he might not, it's a risk, as is the potential benefit of trading him to draft someone else. If the offer is good enough BB will trade him.

If they offered their 2012 first, I'd be willing to bet that the Patriots will do it. It will likely be in the #7-12 range; great return on the pick for the Pats, and the Colts would be getting a first round talent in the first year of a third round contract.

Even if Mallett doesn't pan out, it won't be any more wasted for the Colts than their last five first rounders.

Last edited:

The Patriots already have 2 first round picks next year. If the Colts were to offer their first for Mallett, I'd suggest we all help him get out of town.

Package the picks, plus anything else needed, for the #1 overall. Get Luck (assuming his play continues to back up the accolades). Let him learn behind Brady.

Win

Sounds pretty awesome but given Brady's comments about playing for a much longer period of time, how long can you carry both salaries (TB and the #1 overall pick)? How long would Luck stick around awaiting his turn?

Last edited:

Get real. Rookie Mallett cannot run the Colts offense. He has not learned how to spin around and flap his arms like a beheaded chicken's wings.

Well said sir.

Sounds pretty awesome but given Brady's comments about playing for a much longer period of time, how long can you carry both salaries (TB and the #1 overall pick)? How long would Luck stick around awaiting his turn?

Agreed, we don't need QBs, OTOH many other teams do and I think the bidding for that #1 pick will be insane, teams will give up crazy amounts in order to get Luck, which could set us up AMAZINGLY well to form another dynasty with all the loot.

Last edited:

If they offered their 2012 first, I'd be willing to bet that the Patriots will do it. It will likely be in the #7-12 range; great return on the pick for the Pats, and the Colts would be getting a first round talent in the first year of a third round contract.

Even if Mallett doesn't pan out, it won't be any more wasted for the Colts than their last five first rounders.

Why would the Colts want Mallet for this year????? He wouldn't be able to grasp their system as quickly as a vet like Kerry Collins. If they trade with the Pats for a QB it would be for Hoyer. Mallet is still learning how to brush his teeth in the big leagues.

With the new price tags for high picks, they could carry Luck for as long as they wanted to. As for Mr. Luck's desires, well, someone can have him become buddies with Steve Young to help him through the process.

Why would the Colts want Mallet for this year????? He wouldn't be able to grasp their system as quickly as a vet like Kerry Collins. If they trade with the Pats for a QB it would be for Hoyer. Mallet is still learning how to brush his teeth in the big leagues.

Behind that Colts OL he may not have to worry about brushing his teeth....he won't have any :cool:

If it's true that the Colts are inquiring about Mallett, then it wouldn't be because they're looking for a QB to start this year. It would be to develop a QB for the future, starting this year. It's a move that you make if you want to get to work installing Peyton's successor now. He wouldn't start this year--that's why they brought in Collins--but he would be learning from Collins and Manning, and even if Manning comes back healthy and he never starts, his cap hit is minimal.

Last edited:

With the new price tags for high picks, they could carry Luck for as long as they wanted to. As for Mr. Luck's desires, well, someone can have him become buddies with Steve Young to help him through the process.

Now that you say it - the situation would hold incredible similarities to Montana-Young.
Luck is a mobile, athletic, academically accomplished kid who would apprentice behind a multiple SB-winning legendary quarterback who will likely try and play 3-4 years after his prime.

SCREW THIS- LET'S GIVE THEM TOM BRADY!!!

it makes the same amount of sense:bricks:

With the new price tags for high picks, they could carry Luck for as long as they wanted to.

Well, at least for the first 4 years. Newton averages $5.5M over those first 4, but the 5th year option will be awfully expensive.

If it's true that the Colts are inquiring about Mallett, then it wouldn't be because they're looking for a QB to start this year. It would be to develop a QB for the future, starting this year. It's a move that you make if you want to get to work installing Peyton's successor now. He wouldn't start this year--that's why they brought in Collins--but he would be learning from Collins and Manning, and even if Manning comes back healthy and he never starts, his cap hit is minimal.

If they are looking for a "project", then why not have a choice of 5-6 1st rounders without character questions in 7 months? Remember, because of the lockout, Mallet didn't even get OTA's for the first 3 months.

Don't get me wrong - - I would LOVE it if the Colts were dumb enough (and desperate enough) to offer the Pats a 1st for Mallet.

Last edited:

Not that I'm getting my hopes up by a rumor, but if the Pats did get another #1, I would be looking for a dominant defensive player to grab. Adding a physical defensive playmaker puts them over the top.

Without Payton, they are in the running to get Luck, so why get Mallet?

I don't see it happening personally. If the Colts are looking to trade for Mallett, that means they aren't confident that Manning will ever return or at least he will never be the same. At this point, Mallett won't help them in the short term. They would be getting Mallett because they fear Manning's days are done.

Considering Manning is due a monster roster bonus at the beginning of the next football year, they probably have to make the decision to move on from Manning or not in February meaning they can't afford to start grooming his successor in April if they do decide an eight figure roster bonus is too much to gamble.

I would love to see Bob Kravitz's column after blasting the Pats for drafting Mallett if the Colts give up a first to trade for him because the Pats were stupid to draft a QB that high while the Colts "wisely" knew there was no need to draft a successor for Manning.

BTW, I would trade Mallett and a third or fourth for the Colts' #1. The Colts are holding onto what looks to be a sure top 10 draft pick right now. Their team sucks without Manning.

Last edited:

Without Payton, they are in the running to get Luck, so why get Mallet?

Luck is no guarantee for the Colts. There are teams arguably worse than the Colts without Manning. Only one team can draft Luck and the team with the worst record unless it is Carolina will. What if the Colts end up drafting sixth?

Mallett would be a sure thing to get. Whether he turns out to be a legitimate starting QB, that is another story.

Well, at least for the first 4 years. Newton averages $5.5M over those first 4, but the 5th year option will be awfully expensive.

It's basically just transition tag money, as I recall, with it being the average of the top 10 rather than the franchise money of it being top 5.

It's basically just transition tag money, as I recall, with it being the average of the top 10 rather than the franchise money of it being top 5.
The rookie wage scale makes it attractive to package deals and trade up into high spots IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes