Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ryan found guilty on all counts

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

A former Republican governor convicted of racketeering. I think one problem is that many Republicans believe in me first and that lends itself to corruption. The other problem is that as our nation devolves towards one party rule, the system of checks and balances begins to break down. Sadly, Ryan is the guy who was bold enough to commute the sentences of Illinois death row inmates because he felt the system was so unfair.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/17/ryan.verdict.ap/index.html

A federal jury convicted former Gov. George Ryan today on all charges that as secretary of state he steered state business to cronies in return for vacations, gifts and other benefits for himself and his family.

Lobbyist Lawrence Warner, a close Ryan friend, was also found guilty on all charges against him in the historic trial.

On their eleventh day of deliberations, the six-woman, six-man jury found Ryan, 72, guilty on 18 counts of racketeering, mail fraud, false statements and tax violations. Warner, 67, was convicted on 12 counts of racketeering, mail fraud, extortion, money laundering and evading cash-reporting requirements.

The racketeering conspiracy charge carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.

At a news conference after the verdict, Ryan said he will appeal. "The decision today is not in accordance with the kind of public service I've given to the people of Illinois over 40 years," he said.

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

As do many Democrats :rolleyes:

3. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Another crooked Republican gone. This is getting old.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Crime/Corruption News
    Source Washington Times:
    Given reports circulating on the Internet that hundreds of Washington lawmakers have committed crimes, the National Taxpayers Union Foundation set out to learn the truth.

"The truth is less dramatic," says the Washington-based foundation, "but still troubling enough. Although most senators and representatives have steered clear of the law, a number of rotten apples have rolled out of the barrel."

Here then is the list of former members of Congress who were convicted or pleaded guilty to major offenses between 1992 and 1999 (it does not include lawmakers disciplined by Congress' own internal investigations, such as Newt Gingrich or Bob Packwood):

• Nick Mavroules, Massachusetts Democrat: tax evasion, accepting illegal gratuity (1992).

• Albert Bustamante, Texas Democrat: racketeering (1993).

• Carroll Hubbard, Kentucky Democrat: fraud and corruption (1994).

• Carl Perkins, Kentucky Democrat: fraud (1994). • Charlie Rose, North Carolina Democrat: financial-disclosure irregularities (1994).

• Larry Smith, Florida Democrat: tax evasion (1994).

• Dave Durenberger, Minnesota Republican: financial-disclosure misdemeanor (1995).

• Walter Fauntroy, District of Columbia Democrat: financial-disclosure misdemeanor (1995).

• Gerald Kleczka, Wisconsin Democrat: arrested for DWI (1995 and 1990); convicted DWI (1987).

• Mel Reynolds, Illinois Democrat: sexual misconduct (1995).

• Walter Tucker, California Democrat: extortion (1995).

• Charles Wilson, Texas Democrat: paid $90,000 fine to Federal Election Commission (1995).

• Joe Kolter, Pennsylvania Democrat: fraud and conspiracy (1996).

• Dan Rostenkowski, Illinois Democrat: mail fraud (1996).

• Wes Cooley, Oregon Republican: lying about war record (1997).

• Jay Kim, California Republican: campaign-finance violations (1998).

• Mary Rose Oakar, Ohio Democrat: financial-disclosure irregularities (1998).

• Austin J. Murphy, Pennsylvania Democrat: vote fraud (1999).

Mark Twain once observed that Congress was America's "only native criminal class".
    Perhaps they should have titled this "CONvicted Criminals Serving in CONgress."!
    15 Democrats, 3 Republicans, what other ratio did you expect?

5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

Give me a break, this CANNOT be true because we all know that "many Republicans believe in me first and that lends itself to corruption". Those selfless Democrats would never do anything wrong :D

6. mikey

mikey In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wow ... these are old news from the last century.

Here is a more recent list of Republican crooks and felons.

http://www.waynemadsenreport.com/gopscorecard.htm

Last edited: Apr 17, 2006
  7. Chevy

Chevy Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Come on, Mikey ... Half of those read like the results page of "Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon" ...

8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +781 / 18 / -23

#24 Jersey

LMAO, as if the last century is that long ago :D

9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +595 / 24 / -19

10. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Great resource mikey... well documented and current.

11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Most corrupt President EVER! http://www.alamo-girl.com/criminal.htm

First Kinsley and Slate, now Wayne Madsen. PLease do not get to thristy until Howard Dean can make you another cup of Kool Aid.

12. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know, it must get on your nerves that not everyone here subscribes to Hannity and O'Reilly. Too bad for you that the pen is mightier than the sword.

13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

If a politician makes it to the Congress, the Senate or the White House than HE/SHE is a crook they just haven't been caught yet.

Good guys finish last. :bricks:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  14. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

True enough. It's crazy to argue who are the "bigger" criminals when they're both busy screwing us every chance they get. I say get em all out of there and sort it out after.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  15. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +154 / 10 / -16

#37 Jersey

Gulp, Gulp, Gulp......................

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +1,150 / 5 / -10

Uncle Teddy is a cowardly murderer and Robert KKK Byrd used to drink Mint Julips and watch Crosses burn on Black People's lawns.

They're both still working, most of the a ss holes in Mass would Kneel and kiss Uncle Teddy's ring if they ran into him.

"WE LOVE YOU TEDDY"

Mary Jo said "blub blub gurgle gurgle, oh Teddy, please come back"

17. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If you are one of the few who has never been presented with evidence that Harry Boy plans to shred the basic compact between the people and their government, then be glad that the task to educate yourself has just become easy. With this letter, I compile all of the necessary evidence into one easy-to-read document. There are a number of reasons he isn't telling us as to why he wants to enact new laws forcing anyone who's not one of his operatives to live in an environment that can, at best, be described as contemptuously tolerant. In this letter, I will expose those reasons one-by-one, on the principle that he seems to assume that "the norm" shouldn't have to worry about how the exceptions feel. This is an assumption of the worst kind because much of the noise made on his behalf is generated by querulous brigands who seem to have nothing better to do with their time. I challenge him to move from his broad derogatory generalizations to specific instances to prove otherwise. Is he a pious person? Yes, although Harry Boy's "piety" unerringly leads him to whichever dogma is best for business. Speaking of which, his apparatchiks are tools. Like a hammer or an axe, they are not inherently evil or destructive. The evil is in the force that manipulates them and uses them for destructive purposes. That evil is Harry Boy, who wants nothing less than to marginalize and eventually even outlaw responsible critics of oppressive braggarts.

The tone of Harry Boy's projects is so far removed from reality, I find myself questioning what color the sky must be in Harry Boy's world. Harry Boy's reasoning is circular and therefore invalid. In other words, he always begins an argument with his conclusion (e.g., that he can absorb mana by devouring his nemeses' brains) and therefore -- not surprisingly -- he always arrives at that very conclusion. Stand with me, be honest with me, and help me put to rest the animosities that have kept various groups of people from enjoying anything other than superficial unity, and together we'll treat the disease, not the symptoms. We'll acquire the input of a representative cross-section of the community in a non-threatening, inclusive environment. I'm counting on you. Thanks for reading this.

18. All_Around_Brown

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

:confused:

That is a post for the ages. Pujo, you okay??