PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan and McFadden as keys to the Patriots ability to trade back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The day is here - and no matter how I break it down I keep getting back to Ryan and McFadden as two players, who if available at #7, make it possible and probable that the Patriots will be able to find a trading partner to slide back to the teens.

They are the only two players I see as coveted enough for other teams to trade up - with teams also not expecting they'll be there at 8 or long after that.

Conversely, if the Patriots are going to move up I'm looking at Oakland as a potential partner - especially if its Gholston the player the Patriots want. And yes I know Oakland has never traded out of the Top 5 but with so many needs I think Oakland would be a willing partner, seeing as they could still get the player they want at #7 (McFadden).

If Ryan gets taken by Atlanta, as I suspect he will, that means that if BB is hoping to trade back (and doesn't truly covet any of the remaining top names), much is riding on whether McFadden lasts to give us trade value at #7.

I can't help but think that the Jets might be inclined to take McFadden bosltered by the knowledge that if he's there for us, we can get significant value and trade back.

So to sum up - if Ryan goes at #3 that creates a flurry of discussions on a trade for #4 - and if that doesn't happen keep your eye on McFadden - if he's there I forsee a trade back.

I agree, if Ryan or McFadden is there at #7 the Pats will get many calls. I would take McFadden, because he is that good. But I can't see the Falcons passing on Ryan. They do not have a QB right now, unless you want to count Joey Harrington. But if Rayn is there at #7, look for Baltimore to come calling.

I have seen a few mocks that have the Pats actually moving up ahead of the Jets to get Gholston (yikes! just not sold on him). My dream scenario is that the Rams take Doresy at #2m and then the Pats trade up with the Falcons for #3, with the Falcons figuring that they can still get Ryan at #7, and the Pats take Chirs Long.

I agree, if Ryan or McFadden is there at #7 the Pats will get many calls. I would take McFadden, because he is that good. But I can't see the Falcons passing on Ryan. They do not have a QB right now, unless you want to count Joey Harrington. But if Rayn is there at #7, look for Baltimore to come calling.

I have seen a few mocks that have the Pats actually moving up ahead of the Jets to get Gholston (yikes! just not sold on him). My dream scenario is that the Rams take Doresy at #2m and then the Pats trade up with the Falcons for #3, with the Falcons figuring that they can still get Ryan at #7, and the Pats take Chirs Long.

I'm havinig a tough time envisioning a trade up to #3... both in cost of draft picks and cost of salary. I know there's not a huge distinction between 3 and 4 but I just thinks value dictates that's a place the Pats look to if one of their "trade back" lynchpins gets taken at #3.

But overall I think the Pats will see what Atlanta does at #3 first - if they don't take Ryan then its VERY likely that Ryan or McFadden are there at #7 (yes someone can trade up to take them, but I think those trading partners too would expect them to slide back to 6 or 7)

So in many ways it comes down to Ryan at #3 for me - if he's gone the liklihood of trading up increases - if he's there the liklihood of trading down increases.

You can include Ellis in that category of trade interest prospects.

You can include Ellis in that category of trade interest prospects.

yup. His name has also been thrown around as the Saints and Bengals both need DT

Actually, I think the key pick is #2.

If St. Louis takes Dorsey, then I think Atlanta takes Ryan, and McFadden goes shortly after.

If St. Louis takes Long, then Atlanta grabs Dorsey and Ryan will start to slide. I think teams know that the Raiders and Chiefs won't take him. And I don't think the Jets will grab him. So that leaves a team like Chicago or Kansas City or someone like that to jump up and grab Ryan.

It's really interesting the different ways this could go.

There are two scenarios that are intriguing to me.
a) Either Ryan or McFadden is there, thus making a trade down more likely.
b) Ryan and McFadden are both taken, thus (in this scenario) dropping Gholson down to #7.

I'm not as high on Gholston as a lot of people, but I can't help being slightly intrigued.

The closer we get the more I find myself favoring a trade down, and selecting Mayo. Mayo over Gholston because it keeps AD outside.

I think the key is the Chiefs.

Long, Dorsey, Ryan, McFadden, Gholston...Those are the concensus top 5 (after Jake Long). That would leave Ellis to the Pats and a trade down with New Orleans or the Bengals.

The order that the above go in might vary but I'd guess that those are the top picks when it's all said and done.

Of the Rams, Falcons, Raiders, Chiefs, and Jets, the only team that I could see varying from that list is the Chiefs because they really need an offensive lineman. If the Chiefs do go OL, then someone from that top group is going to fall to the Pats.

One thing I'm moderately concerned about in regards to trading down...What happens if the Falcons pass on Dorsey and take Ryan? Then Dorsey is there for the Raiders, who have no #2 pick. Say the Saints pony up and offer their #2 to move up and take him. That was one of the Pats rumored trade partners. Of course the Raiders could easily move back up, and the Bengals are still there. But I'd rather not eliminate potential trade partners without at least ensuring somebody falls to #7.

I think Atl would be dumb to not take Ryan.
That said, I agree that he and Mcfadden are key.
While a trade up is possible, it would be surprising to me.

I think they would trade up for Dorsey if he fell far enough, and C Long but he's gone. But I agree it's not happening. If someone does trade up for Dorsey I'd guess they would be offering more than the Pats are.

You must be a very brilliant man. I agree with you on all three points :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots