Welcome to PatsFans.com

Russian Tanks Invade/Attack Country of Georgia

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Aug 8, 2008.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

"All day today, they've been bombing Georgia from numerous warplanes and specifically targeting (the) civilian population, and we have scores of wounded and dead among (the) civilian population all around the country," President Mikhail Saakashvili told CNN in an exclusive interview.

"These troops that are in Georgia now -- they didn't come unexpectedly," the president told CNN. "They had been amassing at the border for the last few months. They claimed they were staging exercises there and as soon as a suitable pretext was found, they moved in."

Georgia, located on the Black Sea coast between Russia and Turkey, has been split by Russian-backed separatist movements in South Ossetia and another region, Abkhazia.

-----
    Why on the day of the Olympics?
  2. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Of all of Bush's blunders, one that sticks out in my mind was him visiting and cozying with Putin. I suppose he has to in some respects, but Putin is a bad dude, no doubt. He's old school KGB, and he's backed by the oligrachs that were big back in the USSR. They're making a HUGE resurgance, and they're going to be a major player on the world stage - and not in a good way I think.
  3. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

What the Russians have invaded! They can have Atlanta, but the rest of us, are gonna stand our ground!!

This is the first invasion since Sherman, this time were ready!!!!
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

Whose side are we on, I'm stupid.
  5. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Watch the price of oil go right up.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

For the same reason teams announce ticket price increases on the Friday of a long weekend. Cuz less people are paying attention.
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

No, no, no, Bush said he looked straight into Putin's eyes and declared him ok.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +662 / 2 / -9

They were drinking Vodka and eating fish eggs.............

:bricks:
  9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

The country of Georgia is pro-Western and hence sides with the US while the rebels/breakaway has sided with Russia...........
  10. Seymour93

Seymour93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Keep in mind that it was Georgia that launched the first major offensive. There had been border skrimishes for the past week and I guess Georgia got tired of it and invaded the province. But Russian troops have been in South Ossetia since the Soviet Union existed so what did Georgia expect that would happen? They will be lucky if Russia decides not to take over the entire country.
  11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +271 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

no, Russia is an oli producing state, so they will have to sell, the price of oil is down $4 a barrell today on this news alone.
  12. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This is kind of creepy to me. About a month ago, I started writing a short story set in a near-future world where Europe had been totally reshaped by a war between Russia and its former fellow USSR members. The tipping point that devastated the continent and sent the situation spiraling out of control was the conflict between this imaginary future Russia and Georgia, where Georgian nationalism that had been building for some time in the face of past Russian transgressions finally spilled over against a resurgent Soviet communist movement to reunite the old republic. The powderkeg that set the entire conflict off was to be a breakdown is Georgian-Ossetian negotiations followed by an attempted ethnic cleansing that displaced refugees into neighboring, mostly radicalized muslim nations. The setting was supposed to be a backdrop to the main narrative about a one-time child prostitute returning to the former Georgia, now a province of the new USSR, to fulfill a contract to assassinate a public servant turned top-level administrator of the neo-spetsnaz that had been used to squelch the Georgian counter-revolutionaries that opposed reintegration into the new Soviet Union. The twist was to be that the target of assassination was the one that abused his position as a public servant to sell her into slavery before the conflict erupted.

Now with all this breaking... I may just shelve the story altogether. I've spent quite a few hours reading through Wikipedia and history books piecing together a timeline that would make sense through 2050 or so, but I think that effort is going to go to waste. I really would have preferred this sort of thing remain in the realm of fantasy.
  13. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

Um, welcome to the political forum...
  14. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Not usually my thing to discuss Politics, so I don't think I'll be staying. I just wanted to get that little thing off my chest, since I don't think I'm going to finish writing it and it'll never be read. Feel free to ignore it.

That being said, I do think it's ridiculous that the media is spending more time discussing who John Edwards was having sex with than covering a potentially region-destabilizing war in Eurasia.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +514 / 6 / -2

What else would you expect from the same people that bring you Anna Nicole Smith, Paris Hilton, & Britney Spears on a daily basis?
  16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

CRAZY that this was an angle you were working on, and all of the sudden it pops up. If I were you I wouldn't shelf it, I would consider it a real time study guide. See if what you predicted came true!

anyway, If you saw trouble between Georgia and Russia in 40 years, and it is happening now....

we need you in the political forum! Its gunna be a big end to 2008!

Holler!
  17. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Well, that's why I try and avoid the mainstream American media outlets, especially on TV, when I can. I'm not interested in the cult of celebrity or the opinions of the talking heads they usually trot out to spur their heated but pointless debates. I took a real interest in the history and conflicts of this region when I started reading about it, and that's why I decided to set a story there. Knowing what I do about the region now, and how important this conflict could potentially become on the world stage, it really should be receiving more coverage. I guess I shouldn't expect it, but it still sucks.
  18. Richter

Richter Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The reason I ended up picking Georgia to write about was two fold: One was it's geographical proximity to Moscow, which is where I wanted the story to conclude. The other was I wanted something that was a basic parallel to a current real world situation that I could work off of. The conflict that has loomed for so long between Israel and Palestine over the Gaza strip ended up being a solid comparison, and it's always front and center, so I made my decision to go with Georgia then. I envisioned Georgia in the role of Israel, Russia in the role of the Arab League, South Ossetia as the Palestinian Gaza region and the United States, Israel's ally, as the United States, Georgia's ally. I envision this conflict erupting around 2025, with the main narrative taking place in the 2040s. It feels strangely uncomfortable to write about it now, despite being about a hundred pages in, when life ends up imitating art (if my work was indeed worthy of being called art), even with the discrepancy in dates. I may come back to it eventually, but it goes into the archives for now, and I can only hope any attempts at ethnic cleansing in the real world fall far short of what I imagined in my writing.
  19. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,817 / 31 / -48

No Jersey Selected

And Russian aggression begins again. Have you guys ever viewed pictures of the new Russian president? If you have, you'll notice a common theme: Putin is in the background of all of them... right behind him.

Can you say 'here we go again'?
  20. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

as the son of a writer, I can give you a piece of advice:

DON'T STOP.

My mother is working on her 9th published novel since 2000, and had been through many rejections etc. If it is a love, I can do nothing but encourage your journey. Having vision is the key to good writing. And if life has indeed imitated art, you are doing the right thing. If it feels odd to you that something you conjured is becoming real, you should be writing more.

Stay up Playah, and enjoy the banter in this forum....it can be frustration, but the perspectives voiced by the patsfans in the political forum are vast and informative.