Welcome to PatsFans.com

Russia threatening new cold war over missile defense

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Apr 11, 2007.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Excerpts:
    ---------
    Russia is preparing its own military response to the US's controversial plans to build a new missile defence system in eastern Europe, according to Kremlin officials, in a move likely to increase fears of a cold war-style arms race.

The Bush administration says the bases are designed to shoot down rogue missiles fired by Iran or North Korea. Its proposed system would be helpless against Russia's vast nuclear arsenal, it says. But this claim has been greeted with widespread incredulity, not just in Russia but also among some of the US's nervous Nato allies. They include Germany, where the Social Democrat leader, Kurt Beck, warned last month that the US and Russia were on the brink of another arms race "on European soil". Defence experts say there is little doubt that the real target of the shield is Russia.

Analysts said there was a common feeling in Russia that the US had reneged on an agreement after the collapse of the Soviet Union to abandon cold war politics. "Cold war thinking has prevailed, especially on the western side," Yevgeny Myasnikov, a senior research scientist at Moscow's Centre for Arms Control, told the Guardian. "Russia has been deeply disappointed by what has happened after 1991. Nato started to expand, and the US started to think it had won the cold war. We had hoped for a partnership. But it didn't happen."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/russia/article/0,,2054142,00.html
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but .....

Didn't Superman rid the world of nuclear weapons in Superman 4?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Bush is talking about 'nucULar' weapons.....not nuCLEar weapons. Russia is just not understanding him.
  3. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

Russia is so irrelevent. That country is so broke it's pilots fly something like 2 hours a month. They're not worried about Iran because they're the ones building the reactors for them. Who are they to threaten us for trying to defend ourselves? If we were building some form of attack system then I might listen. Some one tell them to go away.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Hey Russians....GO AWAY!
  5. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I think Russia has a right to be pissed. In the early 90's they welcomed the Western world to help them set up democracy / banking / capitalism, and vultures ended up going in and destroying and robbing their country. And since then, we have continued to invite countries from the Eastern bloc to join NATO, and now this missile shield. They dealt with us in good faith, and we screwed them over.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

Thanks Holy! ;)
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

We screwed them over? Is there anything you don't blame America for? So the decades of corrupt, communist rule had nothing to do with there current plight? I guess they were on he path to prosperity and bliss until we told them to knock down that wall way back when. Had they only not listened to us, they'd be swimming in riches. It's all America's fault darn it.
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, this entire plan is being orchestrated by the United States - just like the 15 British sailors being taken captive, right Maverick..? Say, are we still in "wait and see" mode with them..? Why aren't you man enough to admit you were wrong..?
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Real World, it sounds like you enjoy misrepresenting my words more than you like discussing issues.

I said 'Western World', not United States specifically. Read up on how the Russians invited reformers in with open, naive arms to Westernize their country, and what actually ended up happening. This also helped piss off the ex-KGB guys about their country going down the tubes, which ended up putting Putin in power today.

The fact is, we pretended to end the cold war but in actuality the entire time we were still playing the game.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +294 / 4 / -2

You then said "we" and "us" in the same post. Matter of fact, you just did it again. I don't think I misrepresented your words. If I did, then you should have been more specific about who it was you were trying to blame. At the very least, it's a blame the west rant.
  11. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Do you agree or disagree that the 'West' is on a Manifest Destiny quest and on an imperialist mission to dominate the entire world?
  12. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I guess the answer to that question is a resounding "no".

Maverick = :scared:
  13. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Quigon, frankly, it's not worth my time to talk to a neocon star wars geek. You kept calling me out on this board over Saturday evening, but guess what, I actually have a life and was out for the weekend.

In the past 5 days you have made two threads specifically to attack me. You also hijack every thread and make turn it into a pissing match with whoever your target is at the time. You really bring down this entire board; it is draining with you here. You are abrasive, escalate arguments with multiple posters here, and are on the sh*tlist with the admins. I'll let you self destruct on your own. It's a waste of my time to attempt a conversation with you on any topic.
  14. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Nope..!! No escalation there..!! Remember folks, I am the only one who always escalates things and throws insults around..!!

Translation: You're not man enough to admit you were wrong about something. Got'cha. :rofl:

Funny thing is that if you had any sort of intelligence whatsoever you'd know that you're much better off just coming out and admitting you were wrong. All you would be doing is admitting something every single member of this board (both Conservative and liberal) already knows. I've done it before myself (albeit quite rarely)... what are you so afraid of..? I'm having a great time calling you out (and will continue to do so) but if you just said "Ya know what..? I was wrong." it totally steals my thunder and leaves me with nothing to say.

But you're not man enough to do that.
  15. mr3putt

mr3putt Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Nyet :D
    A bit of a stretch.

Now Dick Cheney hmmmmmm...maybe?