PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Up The Score

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Look. We're trying to play situational football, here."

The offense struggled mightily at times, not just tonight, but over the past 4 or 5 games.

How are they going to continue to try and get better, iron out their wrinkles, and adjust to what looks they're getting if they don't continue to play in gametime situations?
abd to back that up. With the new CBA, there are fewer padded practices, so I say the offense needs all the work they can get and other teams should be prepared.

But, those who hate the Pats will use this as an excuse to stir up the fans and drive media traffic.

Pretty confident that Dennis and Callahan will show some concern, they always do.. they are the leaders of the "yeah but crowd"....

The Chiefs are supposed to stop the Patriots, and the Patriots are supposed to play to the whistle.. much ado about nothing.

Seeing Vereen out there in real time, was a good thing..

Funny you should mention WEEI. Here is my experience with them for the past 2 days. Yesterday morning (Patriot Monday) I listened to them talk about Tebow for 40 minutes. Then from 11:30 to 1pm yesterday all baseball. This morning for 40 minutes, all baseball.

Ok, small sample but that is the only time I listened to them. But don't hold your breath waiting for them to talk Patriots football unless they are forced to by a caller or a guest, then it will be back to their one and only love, baseball.

The one area where I will agree with you is continuing to allow important starting players on the field in absolute meaningless situations. In that aspect, I do not think that it has any benefit whatsoever.

As far as running up the score, I think that it was an opportunity to continue to try and get Vereen some reps without having to worry about his blitz pickups and blocking. In that instance, it's good to see Vereen familiarizing himself with not only being on the actual field, but hearing specific running calls, hitting specific holes, etc.

I would have however, put in many backup players. Light's injury will likely be costly, and we hopefully dodged a bullet with Arrington. I just don't see much reason for some of those players continuing to play. It's not like they are working on too much...now the offense, that's another story. In my opinion, they almost used the last quarter as an extended practice at times. The Chiefs effectively almost 100% shut out Welker entirely, and Brady only completed several passes to actual WR's. That side of the ball will likely still gain something from continuing drives, but as we saw the negative effect may be horrible in the injury to Light.

Great insight that pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

I was glad that Vereen got some playing time instead of watching everything from the sidelines; if others think it is running up the score, so be it. You cannot control what others think about you especially in the media driven sports world.

I don't call a running play on 4th & goal from the 7, running up the score.

Exactly.....their d couldn't hold water at the end of game...what was O supposed to do...lay down on the field? If you don't want your opponent to rack up more points....play football and STOP THEM...

Was glad to see Vereen finally get some reps...looked,good

I hear Kansas City has the best barbecue.

The folks over on the Chiefs board are not complaining about this. The talking heads needed something to say after the 2 TD flurry that put the Chiefs away in the third quarter.

I think you nailed it there. One of the announcers said 'I can't believe they're still throwing the ball', or words to that affect late in the game, which fans of AFC rivals are sure to latch on to today.

The thing is there is a huge difference between calling for a 40-yard flea-flicker in that situation, and a three-step drop thrown within five yards of the line of scrimmage - which is what the Pats did when whoever it was (Gruden?) made that comment.

I would have however, put in many backup players. Light's injury will likely be costly, and we hopefully dodged a bullet with Arrington. I just don't see much reason for some of those players continuing to play. It's not like they are working on too much...now the offense, that's another story. In my opinion, they almost used the last quarter as an extended practice at times. The Chiefs effectively almost 100% shut out Welker entirely, and Brady only completed several passes to actual WR's. That side of the ball will likely still gain something from continuing drives, but as we saw the negative effect may be horrible in the injury to Light.

I'm in some agreement here, but I think even using backup players that Light would have been in there. As long as Tom Brady is in the game (and the play calls for a pass), they're going to want the O-Line that he's most comfortable with. First and foremost, they wanted to protect Brady. The Light injury is unfortunate though.

I think the one fact that totally refutes all the "running up the score" arguments is that the Pats weren't throwing into the endzone with less than 2:00 to go. Basically, until you're under 2:00 and the other team has no timeouts, you can't run the clock out. You can run to keep the clock moving, but the goal of the offense in that situation is to protect the ball and get first downs. If you do nothing but run, the defense can gameplan against that. And again, they didn't chuck the ball all over the field. These quick WR hits are essentially run plays themselves.

I also think the Pats were really trying to finish off the game on that drive. With all the injuries piling up on defense, I think they wanted their guys guaranteed to go home with a no-TD, relatively injury free game in the end.

I expect the Patriots to play their absolute best, no matter what the score, no matter who they're playing, whether they're winning or losing. It's exactly that simple.

Tough talk is all good until someone gets hurt. No problem playing ball, but put some more 2nd and 3rd stringers in. And get Brady out of there.

I expect the Patriots to play their absolute best, no matter what the score, no matter who they're playing, whether they're winning or losing.

It's exactly that simple.

For The WIN, Brother Maine!! :rocker:

...and a beaten foe's responsibility to let the clock run :rolleyes: They got what they deserved.

This really surprised me. What's the point of using their timeouts with 5 minutes to go when the go is hopelessly lost? At that point, they were asking for the Patriots to go into full offense since they were loudly proclaiming that the game was not yet won and they were in it. However, the Patriots didn't do that (except for 1 short pass on 3rd and goal that was nullified); they continued to just run out the clock and move down the field.

Tough talk is all good until someone gets hurt. No problem playing ball, but put some more 2nd and 3rd stringers in. And get Brady out of there.

Definitely. It should have been Hoyer out there on the final drive handing the ball off. The game was well in hand.

Last edited:
Definitely. It should have been Hoyer out there on the final drive handing the ball off. The game was well in hand.

I would have preferred to have seen Hoyer in there for the final drive as well - not just to avoid any risk of injury to Brady, but to give Hoyer some reps.

However, throwing the ball three yards past the line of scrimmage in that situation is not worth mentioning and questioning like Gruden did, or alluding to 'running up the score'.

Both teams are there to play football, not patty cake and the game is played for sixty minutes, not thirty or forty or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes