PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running up the score

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacecrime

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Funny. Running up the score seems not to be an issue with the NFL these past two weeks, even though last week the the Vikings ran up 42 points to the Lions 10, and the Jets, killing the Dolphins 27-13 in the FOURTH quarter, ran up an unnecessary additional 17 fourth quarter points on the hapless Fins.

The week before that:

the Cowboys scored 13 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Jets 34-3

the Colts scored 10 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Falcons 31-13

the Saints scored 21 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Panthers 31-6

the Bengals scored 21 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Titans 35-6

So where is the agony? Where is the outrage? Where is all the running up the score talk? That's what I want to know.

Last edited:
Funny. Running up the score seems not to be an issue with the NFL these past two weeks, even though last week the the Vikings ran up 42 points to the Lions 10, and the Jets, killing the Dolphins 27-13 in the FOURTH quarter, ran up an unnecessary additional 17 fourth quarter points on the hapless Fins.

The week before that:

the Cowboys scored 13 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Jets 34-3

the Colts scored 10 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Falcons 31-13

the Saints scored 21 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Panthers 31-6

the Bengals scored 21 unanswered 2nd half points to defeat the Titans 35-6

So where is the agony? Where is the outrage? Where is all the running up the score talk? That's what I want to know.

I don't believe people are critical of teams that outscore their opponents by significant margins as 'running up the score.' I think we (the Pats) were scrutinized because we were going for it on 4th down late in the game and maybe leaving in our starters too long.
Personally, I think we should just make it our trade mark by handing out beatdowns whenever possible.

I don't believe people are critical of teams that outscore their opponents by significant margins as 'running up the score.' I think we (the Pats) were scrutinized because we were going for it on 4th down late in the game and maybe leaving in our starters too long.
Personally, I think we should just make it our trade mark by handing out beatdowns whenever possible.
Yea, I think that was the central issue. I didn't have a problem with it and I understood why the pats were doing that. Being in a position to fine tune your game is where it's at.

I was miffed mightily that my Bolts up 35-3 at the half against Houston did jack ****e in the 2nd half. We ended up winning 35-10 but doing zip in the 2nd half didn't help SD to become a better team.

If you go to alot of MBs, the same posters who are throwing stones b/c BB is supposedly running up the score, are also the same posters who are saying, "Why can't we be like the Pats and bury our opponents, instead of sitting on leads??".

Alot of posters on the CMB were somewhat angry with Wade in the Green Bay game after we nearly squandered a 17 pt first half lead last week.

I haven't heard anyone talk about what the Vikings did in the 3rd quarter. Up 42-10 they fake a 52 yard FG, then later in the drive inside the redzone they run reverse pass with the WR that was intercepted. But not a peep, if we had done that.....

I think we (the Pats) were scrutinized because we were going for it on 4th down late in the game and maybe leaving in our starters too long.

dead on.

I haven't heard anyone talk about what the Vikings did in the 3rd quarter. Up 42-10 they fake a 52 yard FG, then later in the drive inside the redzone they run reverse pass with the WR that was intercepted. But not a peep, if we had done that.....

That is a very good point, I'll admit i didn't know about that. The reasons people focus on the pats are:

a) the pats are on top and have everyone's attention (if the yankees were bunting runners ahead in the bottom of the 8th up by 12 runs it would get a lot more attention than if the devil rays were doing it)

b) the patriots did it in multiple games

c) brady openly said they are trying to kill the other teams

it makes a story and the media runs with it, every team that is on top deals with it.

i wish....

lets face the facts, if ur name is NOT the Pats, u are INCAPABLE of running up the score

The Patriots are the only team in the history of the NFL with the ability to "run up the score" on teams in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. I'll take that quality any day of the week. Being accused of running up the score means just one thing, we are a completely dominant, bad ass team.

some people are just born and bred *****es.

don't expect any kind of logic.

Is it really necessary to have five of these threads every day? You whine more about running up the score than the media does.

BS. Go to post #1 and tell me how many of those blowout teams, all of whom scored at least 10 points in the fourth quarter with a huge lead pulled out their starters. That includes kicking a meaningless FG on fourth down

The reasons people focus on the pats are:

a) the pats are on top ...

b) the patriots did it in multiple games

c) brady openly said they are trying to kill the other teams
More crap.

a) The Colts were on top a couple years ago scoring big in the fourth quarter, the Chargers ran LT for meaningless TDs last year when they were on top, at the times both teams were leading the league. I'm not complaining or saying it was wrong, just that they did it, and no one said a word, and now you revisionists are trying to pretend that it is becasue the Pats are on top that they are criticized. BullS...

b) See a) above

c) Gimme a friggin' break. Are you trying to tell me that the media had a running-up-the-score firestorm because of what Brady said? That is the lamest part of your post. Brady said what he did IN RESPONSE to weeks of media criticism.

Look, you can make up all the reasons you want why it was okay to criticize the Pats for beating the Dolphins or whoever while not criticizing the teams in the last two games (go back to post #1 and re-read), but the fact is that if it was the Pats, not the Bengals that won 31-6, there would be talk. Because it is about the PATRIOTS, not the score. It is about finding a way to criticize the Pats in some kind of feeding frenzy. The Pats gutted out close wins, and that the reason the runnng up the score talk stopped.

Funny. Running up the score seems not to be an issue with the NFL these past two weeks,

The only thing that is an issue with the NFL is whatever the Patriots have done recently. If it's video taping, then that's the issue. If it's winning big, then that's the issue. If it's winning close then that's the issue. For a 12-0 team they really can't seem to get it right.

Let's face it, most of the league and most fans want this team to go down hard. Too bad they won't.

another myth "starters were left in late in the 4th quarter"

Below is the week and when Brady came out:

Week 3 vs Buf - Brady comes out with 10:28 left

Week 7 vs Miami - Brady comes out in the 3rd quarter, Cassel's 2nd pass is a pick six. So they put Brady back in for a scoring drive that took 2:19. He leaves the game for good with 8:18 left.

Week 8 vs Was - Brady leaves with 9:09 left

Week 11 vs Buf - Brady leaves with 14:55 left

So in their 4 blowouts Brady came out with more than a half of a quarter left to play in all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing