PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Up Some Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychoPat

Role Player
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots have scored 46 % of all the points they have scored (152 out of 331) ... in the second half.

Colts have scored 56 % of all the points they have scored (127 out of 224) ... in the second half.

Patriots have yielded 64 % of all the points they have given up (82 out of 127) ... in the second half.

Colts have yielded 48 % of all the points they have given up (49 out of 102) ... in the second half.

So, tell me again.
WHO has been trying harder in the second half?
Who has been widening the margin?
Who has been running up the score?

Just on the subject of numbers, if you could ignore two of the Bengals' touchdowns, then the Pats would have scored twice as many points this year as the Carson Palmer Show.

Patriots have scored 46 % of all the points they have scored (152 out of 331) ... in the second half.

Colts have scored 56 % of all the points they have scored (127 out of 224) ... in the second half.

Patriots have yielded 64 % of all the points they have given up (82 out of 127) ... in the second half.

Colts have yielded 48 % of all the points they have given up (49 out of 102) ... in the second half.

So, tell me again.
WHO has been trying harder in the second half?
Who has been widening the margin?
Who has been running up the score?

What was the score at halftime of their games? I know they were up 10-7 last week. They beat Ten by 2 and Houston by 3 if memory serves me well. So three of their seven games have been close at the half, with at least two being close at the end. Naturally they had to score more in the second half of those games.

I guess what I am saying is the numbers don't mean much when they are not in context.

The pundit's claims of "Evil, unsportsmanlike, bad bad BB" seem even weaker when you look at the average scoring differential by quarter ...

pats-scoring.jpg

Look at the highlighted fields ... That's the average scoring differential by quarter ... Not very radical, IMHO.

A couple things that I have not seen nearly enough:

1) Without Brady, Watson, Morris and with a recovering Maroney, NE did not have the personel to run and get first downs. NE fans know this, but everybody else completely ignores it.

2) With only 45 (46) guys available on gameday, and many of those specifically suited for one task, it isn't like you can sub everyone.

So, let's look at 1 and 2 together. What pundits wanted NE to do was essentially stop playing offense for 15 minutes and get people on defense unneccesarily worn out before the most important and difficult game (particulaly on defense) of the season.

How is that smart in any way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing