PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running the table? I wouldn't bet on it. Lower your expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should. As bad as Henne is, Gabbert is that much worse. Captain Checkdown.

I agree, and Blackmon is probably doing fist pumps whenever nobody can see him. However, if the Gabbert experiment is acknowledged as a failure by the Jaguars, Smith might as well start packing up his office. He's probably gone anyway, but there's no way the new ownership is going to let him choose the next franchise QB when the last busted attempt at it is still in year two.

Last edited:
Honestly, these two games can go either way...

For Houston, we may get the Houston the ripped the Ravens a new one, or it could be the Houston that almost lost to the friggin Jags.

For the Niners, it could be last night's Niners (ripped the Bears), or it could be the Niners from last week, who almost lost to the 5hitty Rams...

With home field advantage and the cold weather (and the Niners also traveling eastbound through three time zones), which neither one of these teams is accustomed to, I'm cautiously optimistic we can actually take both.

I'm hoping for a lot of snow, that'll do the trick.

Looking at the remaining games, we have somewhat of an uphill battle with back to back games against the 49ers and Texans, two playoff bound teams with power house defenses, following 2 divisional games. We still have to face Miami twice who gave us a pretty good challenge late last year, and are looking just as prepared this year to do the same. You never know with these short week games so I can easily see the Beans stretching us again to the wire thursday. With Henne now in the line up for Jacksonvile, we can no longer overlook them either considering how they took the Texans into OT scoring 37 points. They can score now and are officially a trap game. A trap the Texans almost fell in.

With us missing Gronk and Hernandez still shaky, it doesn't make it any easier. Honestly, I'm not very confident about any talks of running the table. We looked great only over the past 4 games, it was still against weak teams, and I'm not ready just yet to conclude we have overcome the issues we had earlier this season of handing over a game late by 3 points or less now that we are getting ready to enter this stretch of very tough teams.

After our 59 point shellacking over the Colts it's easy to get caught up in it and start thinking we're there, but I think it's time to lower our expectations and come back to earth a little bit. So far we still have only beat 1 strong team. Denver. And that's a fact. And that was early in the season with Peyton still finding his groove.

Realistically speaking, 11-5 seems just as likely, if not more so, than 13-3.

Having said that, I am not concerned about our regular season schedule or seeding. I am actually quite happy with our remaining schedule, and the reason for that is that for once it appears as if this year we truly are being tested before we find ourselves in the playoffs or Superbowl running into a brick wall. We are getting ready to find out exactly what kind of team we are, and I'd rather know now than later.

I don't know about you, but personally I feel a lot more confident even if we enter the playoffs with an 11-5 record and a lower seed but having faced the Broncos, Ravens, Texans, 49ers, Seattle's and Arizona's defense than going in with a prettier record like last year, a higher seed and racked up against a bunch of weak teams.

I prefer being battle tested, scars and all, than having a nice shiny armor. It would be nice to run the table and get that high seed, especially having to go through the 49ers and Texans to get it, but I would not be demoralized with an 11-5 record, and going in somewhat under the radar.

I'd take this person seriously; they're clearly an expert at lowered expectations...

Jets are not good and have a recent history of getting blown out in the second meeting.

Phins are fading fast and have had one competitive game against the Pats in the past two years.

Jags are awful and are usually even worse against the Pats.

The Texans and 49ers are going to be tough games, but luckily both are at home and both are winnable.

12-4 seems like the sweet spot with a chance at 13-3 or 11-5 and a real long shot at worse.

I agree, and Blackmon is probably doing fist pumps whenever nobody can see him. However, if the Gabbert experiment is acknowledged as a failure by the Jaguars, Smith might as well start packing up his office. He's probably gone anyway, but there's no way the new ownership is going to let him choose the next franchise QB when the last busted attempt at it is still in year two.

Indeed. That's pretty much the only reason why Gabbert might see the field again this year.

The pats offensive line will neutralize Watt and co, the Texans will be shredded. Not sure about the 49ers game though.

I'd take this person seriously; they're clearly an expert at lowered expectations...

1.Jets are not good and have a recent history of getting blown out in the second meeting.

2.Phins are fading fast and have had one competitive game against the Pats in the past two years.

3.Jags are awful and are usually even worse against the Pats.

4.The Texans and 49ers are going to be tough games, but luckily both are at home and both are winnable.

12-4 seems like the sweet spot with a chance at 13-3 or 11-5 and a real long shot at worse.

Talk about discounting your competition.

1. We still only won by 3 points in OT and we are missing Gronk now.

2. Yes but in that competitive game, late last year, we were down 17-0 at half time and won by 3 points....at home.

3. They just took the Texans to OT and lost by 3 points. Jaguars were on the road.

4. Every NFL game is winnable but if you mean easy, you're nuts. Homefield advantage is pretty meaningless. I will remind you again, the Jets took us to overtime....at home. Arizona beat us at home.

All I'm saying is if you're going to be this arrogant then at least don't go on a bi polar dive and start screaming that the sky is falling if we manage to lose at least 2 of our remaining games. Because right now, you are clearly up there.

The pats offensive line will neutralize Watt and co, the Texans will be shredded. Not sure about the 49ers game though.

Vikings put up 350 yards on the 49ers, Rams 458.

I'm curious how many teams have gone 8-0 in the second half since 2001. I don't recall it happening too often, but I have to guess it's happened a few times. Doing it 4 times seems pretty crazy. I wonder if any team has done it more than once?

It's been done 9 times since 2001:
2003 Patriots 3-0
2004 Steelers 1-1
2006 Chargers 0-1
2007 Patriots 2-1
2008 Colts 0-1
2009 Chargers 0-1
2010 Patriots 0-1
2011 Saints 1-1
2011 Patriots 2-1

Of those 9, the Patriots have four. Although, sweeping the second half of the season isn't all it's made up to be, I found out. Of those 9 teams, four lost their first playoff game, two lost the second. Only the 2003, 2007, and 2011 Pats made it to the Super Bowl, and we all know how that worked out. So 1 of the 9 teams to go 8-0 in the second half of the season has also gone on to win the Super Bowl.

I'd say any chance of running the Table Starts Thursday Night. And if we win it's nice having three extra days rest facing Miami in Florida the following week. We can bet Thursday Night will be the Jets SuperBowl they would like nothing better than winning Thursday so their males fans and Coach can creame their pants eewww!:mad:

Starting in 2009 the Pats are 22-4 in the second half of the season. In fact they haven't lost regular season game in the second half since 2009. Throw in 2006 and 2007 and they are 37-6 in the second half, four of the 6 second half losses all came in 2009. Draw your own conclusions.

Starting in 2009 the Pats are 22-4 in the second half of the season. In fact they haven't lost regular season game in the second half since 2009. Throw in 2006 and 2007 and they are 37-6 in the second half, four of the 6 second half losses all came in 2009. Draw your own conclusions.

Would have felt a little more confident with a healthy Gronk...but as it stands somebody will have to fill his BIG shoes on Offense Big Time. Wouldn't mind see LIoyd becoming a little more assertive and a healthy Hernandez playing like the Beast he is. Our next Four looks really Tough.

Realistically Pats could lose BOTH of those games....

UOTE=KontradictioN;3250297]I don't think we'll run the table, either. One of the Houston/San Fran games is going to be a loss. If I had to put money on it, I'd say it would be the game against the 49ers.

EDIT: I think that will be our last loss of the season, though.[/QUOTE]

Talk about discounting your competition.

1. We still only won by 3 points in OT and we are missing Gronk now.

2. Yes but in that competitive game, late last year, we were down 17-0 at half time and won by 3 points....at home.

3. They just took the Texans to OT and lost by 3 points. Jaguars were on the road.

4. Every NFL game is winnable but if you mean easy, you're nuts. Homefield advantage is pretty meaningless. I will remind you again, the Jets took us to overtime....at home. Arizona beat us at home.

All I'm saying is if you're going to be this arrogant then at least don't go on a bi polar dive and start screaming that the sky is falling if we manage to lose at least 2 of our remaining games. Because right now, you are clearly up there.

My post is less extreme than your opening post... Contrary to your opinion no one needed to create an insanely pessimistic thread portraying all the upcoming opponents as worldbeaters. Yeah the Jets blew out the Rams and Colts to the tune of a 40 pt differential, the Pats blew them out to the tune of a 73 pt differential...

1. Yep and the Pats lost by 14 points in 2010 and only won by 9 points in 2011, how'd that work out in the next meetings? Also using your logic from point 2, the Pats had a comfortable lead of 10 going into the 4th quarter, so...

2. So what you're saying is they managed to outplay the Pats for a whopping 1/2 of a game...

3. Until both teams play more games we don't know if that was a fluke (most likely), a sign of an improving Jags, or a sign of a faltering Texans. Blindly using it to prop up a 1-9 team doesn't make sense.

4. I clearly didn't mean easy since I used the word tough... I'd like to remind you of the Pats overall record at home under BB and Brady, the Vegas odds-makers, and well pretty much everything ever... Homefield advantage is meaningful and the fact that the Pats don't have to travel is as well.

It isn't about being arrogant; I'm not the one playing the games. It's about pointing out how the exact opposite spin from your own could be used to make it appear that the Pats are likely to run the table. I don't even think that it's likely and state such.

Please find a chicken little post by me... You seem to think that the people that are somewhat high on the Pats right now are the same ones that scream and wail after a loss. I'd guess the overlap is pretty small; most of the people that are high on the team have been for most of the season, and were the voices of reason after the losses.

Your posts boil down to "on any given sunday" logic. There was no need to create a thread for it as it easily could've been added to the existing threads discussing the rest of the season, but that likely wouldn't have gotten you the attention you're seeking.

My post is less extreme than your opening post... Contrary to your opinion no one needed to create an insanely pessimistic thread portraying all the upcoming opponents as worldbeaters. Yeah the Jets blew out the Rams and Colts to the tune of a 40 pt differential, the Pats blew them out to the tune of a 73 pt differential...

1. Yep and the Pats lost by 14 points in 2010 and only won by 9 points in 2011, how'd that work out in the next meetings? Also using your logic from point 2, the Pats had a comfortable lead of 10 going into the 4th quarter, so...

2. So what you're saying is they managed to outplay the Pats for a whopping 1/2 of a game...

3. Until both teams play more games we don't know if that was a fluke (most likely), a sign of an improving Jags, or a sign of a faltering Texans. Blindly using it to prop up a 1-9 team doesn't make sense.

4. I clearly didn't mean easy since I used the word tough... I'd like to remind you of the Pats overall record at home under BB and Brady, the Vegas odds-makers, and well pretty much everything ever... Homefield advantage is meaningful and the fact that the Pats don't have to travel is as well.

It isn't about being arrogant; I'm not the one playing the games. It's about pointing out how the exact opposite spin from your own could be used to make it appear that the Pats are likely to run the table. I don't even think that it's likely and state such.

Please find a chicken little post by me... You seem to think that the people that are somewhat high on the Pats right now are the same ones that scream and wail after a loss. I'd guess the overlap is pretty small; most of the people that are high on the team have been for most of the season, and were the voices of reason after the losses.

Your posts boil down to "on any given sunday" logic. There was no need to create a thread for it as it easily could've been added to the existing threads discussing the rest of the season, but that likely wouldn't have gotten you the attention you're seeking.

Yes...saying we're not a lock to run the table and to tame our expectations while suggesting we end up 11-5 is insanely pessimistic.:rolleyes:

Which one of us has lost track of the center?

PS: My post isn't based on any given Sunday logic. It's based on the fact that we are going to face 2 teams that have proven to be better than us so far in the regular season, and most people outside this fan base see it the same way, we have struggled to beat teams we should have and only looked the part against weak teams with the exception of Denver. In fact I'm pretty sure you only took the time to read half my post because the other half of the message was the fact that I believe it's great to be able to test our team against playoff contenders, which I believe will serve us better in the long run. There's nothing pessimistic about that.

Last edited:

...and all of those years were not 2012. Different players. Different set of circumstances.

Can they win out? Sure. Is is likely? I dunna know. Their schedule isn't easy and its a helluva lot more important to be healthy and peaking at the right time of year.

Last edited:
I dont want this team to grab the #1 Seed, for once i want them to go on the road in the playoffs and kick some butts. Those are the games which will test our mettle. Kinnda how the Giants and Packers went on the road and won games and then went on to win the SB.

Anyways the last 1 seed to win the SB were the 2003 Pats , Doesn't look like 1 seed is of any help .

I dont want this team to grab the #1 Seed, for once i want them to go on the road in the playoffs and kick some butts. Those are the games which will test our mettle. Kinnda how the Giants and Packers went on the road and won games and then went on to win the SB.

Anyways the last 1 seed to win the SB were the 2003 Pats , Doesn't look like 1 seed is of any help .

I know that we've talked about this before, and I'm sure you'll see a lot of talk about it in the next month or so too.

This particular team does very well with the bye (1 or 2) in the BB/TFB era, as they have gone to the SB every single time they've had it with the one exception coming in the 2010 season's loss to the NYJ in the playoffs. That is still 5/6 times that it has propelled them to the big game though.

I am not sure if this particular team can afford to go without the extra week of rest and preparation this year, which would equal 3 games to get there instead of 2...it will also mean that instead of winning ONE game in Foxborough to get to the AFCCG, they'd now have to go on the road and play an extra game.

I think it's nothing more than the law of averages and some luck which allowed the lower seeded teams to win lately, and that the bye brings a lot of historic success overall.

Last edited:
Looking at the remaining games, we have somewhat of an uphill battle with back to back games against the 49ers and Texans, two playoff bound teams with power house defenses, following 2 divisional games. We still have to face Miami twice who gave us a pretty good challenge late last year, and are looking just as prepared this year to do the same. You never know with these short week games so I can easily see the Beans stretching us again to the wire thursday. With Henne now in the line up for Jacksonvile, we can no longer overlook them either considering how they took the Texans into OT scoring 37 points. They can score now and are officially a trap game. A trap the Texans almost fell in.

With us missing Gronk and Hernandez still shaky, it doesn't make it any easier. Honestly, I'm not very confident about any talks of running the table. We looked great only over the past 4 games, it was still against weak teams, and I'm not ready just yet to conclude we have overcome the issues we had earlier this season of handing over a game late by 3 points or less now that we are getting ready to enter this stretch of very tough teams.

After our 59 point shellacking over the Colts it's easy to get caught up in it and start thinking we're there, but I think it's time to lower our expectations and come back to earth a little bit. So far we still have only beat 1 strong team. Denver. And that's a fact. And that was early in the season with Peyton still finding his groove.

Realistically speaking, 11-5 seems just as likely, if not more so, than 13-3.

Having said that, I am not concerned about our regular season schedule or seeding. I am actually quite happy with our remaining schedule, and the reason for that is that for once it appears as if this year we truly are being tested before we find ourselves in the playoffs or Superbowl running into a brick wall. We are getting ready to find out exactly what kind of team we are, and I'd rather know now than later.

I don't know about you, but personally I feel a lot more confident even if we enter the playoffs with an 11-5 record and a lower seed but having faced the Broncos, Ravens, Texans, 49ers, Seattle's and Arizona's defense than going in with a prettier record like last year, a higher seed and racked up against a bunch of weak teams.

I prefer being battle tested, scars and all, than having a nice shiny armor. It would be nice to run the table and get that high seed, especially having to go through the 49ers and Texans to get it, but I would not be demoralized with an 11-5 record, and going in somewhat under the radar.

This is ridiculous.

1. First, I don't care much if we're 9-7 and the #6 seed or 13-3 and the #1 seed as long as we (1) get into the playoffs, (2) are healthy for the playoffs, and (3) hit our stride for the playoffs. Those are my 3 goals. Not winning out.

2. Given that, I don't see any reason to discount the possibility of the Pats winning out. They may or may not do it, but there's no reason why they can't. The ran the table in 2010 against a much tougher schedule, including playoff bound Pittsburgh, Chicago and the Jets and the future SB champ Packers. They ran the table last year despite having to band-aid the secondary with Edelman and Slater.

BB talks about the challenge of "climbing the mountain" every year. No matter how successful you were the year before, the salary cap and free agency leads to at least a 33% roster turnover. Add in injuries and attrition, and there is a huge change from year to year. Each year is an entirely new challenge. And no one relishes the challenge of climbing the mountain over and over again like BB. No one treats adversity like a friend - a tool to build a championship-caliber team - like BB. The Pats may or may not win out, but I think BB will use the next 6 games, including some of the losses to injury, to start whipping this team into shape for the playoffs. The "regular season" is only the warmup for the "real season" that begins in January.

Some of the things that I can see developing over the next 6 weeks include:

- The "Oregonization" of the offense. With Rob Gronkowski out there will be even more opportunity to "move it" with more of an up tempo motion offense. Hernandez, Welker, Edelman, Vereen, Woodhead and Salas all fit nicely into this approach.

- Continuing to develop the power running game.

- The continued development of the secondary, and hopefully opening up the defense as we saw last Sunday against the Colts.

- Continued focus on "complementary" football. BB preaches this, and we saw it played beautifully on Sunday. Special teams TD. 2 pick 6's. A fumble recovery followed by an immediate quick strike TD. Great ST coverage and good field position throughout the game.

There's plenty to work on over the remainder of the "preseason". If we go undefeated during that time, great. If not, I don't really care, as long as we hit the playoffs healthy and in peak form. If this team plays the way it did last week, I like our chances against any team in the NFL. And that wasn't the best we can play, not by a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back