PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running it up vs Crying about Anything & Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

PYPER

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I've never heard so much nonsense as I'm hearing now about the Patriots running up the score. I still can't believe that they were accused of running it up against Miami despite being outscored 21-7 in the second half.

Anyhow, I'm curious what the whiney crybabies thought of the following Super Bowls when they took place.

Super Bowl....................Result..................................Year

XXXVII..........Tampa Bay 48, Oakland 21.................... 2003

XXIX..............San Francisco 49, San Diego 26.............1995

XXVII.............Dallas 52, Buffalo 17............................1993

XXIV...............San Francisco 55, Denver 10................1990

XXII................Washington 42, Denver 10...................1988

XX...................Chicago 46, New England 10.................1986

XVIII...............Los Angeles Raiders 38, Washington 9.....1984

I......................Green Bay 35, Kansas City 10................1967

These were the good old days. I can't remember any crying back then. You could beat the snot out of a team and all the players, coaches, and fans knew how to take it like a man.

What has happened to our society? Have we really digressed to the point where we must cry about everything?

Do we really think great teams should bench their players at halftime because they're so much better than their competition?

And as fans who spend a lot of money to see our favorite players, is it right for our favorite teams to simply stop trying once they get a large halftime lead?

This is PROFESSIONAL football. The players are paid big bucks. The statistics and records are supposed to be meaningful. Is it right that a team should sacrifice all their stats and potential records because they happen to be so much better than the competition that they're not supposed to play the whole game.

I mean listen, there were posters on this very site that criticized the Patriots defense for giving up 28 points and over 170 yards rushing to the Dolphins. How can a team be expected to take it easy on a team and then criticized afterwards for giving up garbage time yardage while taking it easy.

It makes no sense and defies logic.

There is only one logical explanation. This is all just a bunch of homerism by Patriots haters who can't stand the fact that we really are the greatest team the league has ever known. They can't stand the fact that not only are breaking records, we're shattering them.

Last edited:
I brought this up on another board and was shouted down that it's okay to do it in Superbowls, because it's the Championship, you should go all out in that case.

No matter how much context we bring to it, people will qualify it and see what they want to see.

Last edited:
I can't remember any crying back then.
Back then it wasn't so popular to find an excuse for your failings. Back then, people said, "We were whupped real good, but wait 'til next year. We'll get 'em good."

Now they say, "The best team didn't win." "The (other team) has no class." "The (other team) didn't ....blah blah."

They may not be any crying in baseball, but there is plenty of crying in football.

And I think there will be a lot more crying in the next 8 years, then massive weeping and gnashing of teeth in the playoffs, 'cause the Patriots are on a mission!

I've never heard so much nonsense as I'm hearing now about the Patriots running up the score. I still can't believe that they were accused of running it up against Miami despite being outscored 21-7 in the second half.

Anyhow, I'm curious what the whiney crybabies thought of the following Super Bowls when they took place.

These were the good old days. I can't remember any crying back then. You could beat the snot out of a team and all the players, coaches, and fans knew how to take it like a man.

What has happened to our society? Have we really digressed to the point where we must cry about everything?

Do we really think great teams should bench their players at halftime because they're so much better than their competition?

And as fans who spend a lot of money to see our favorite players, is it right for our favorite teams to simply stop trying once they get a large halftime lead?

This is PROFESSIONAL football. The players are paid big bucks. The statistics and records are supposed to be meaningful. Is it right that a team should sacrifice all their stats and potential records because they happen to be so much better than the competition that they're not supposed to play the whole game.

I mean listen, there were posters on this very site that criticized the Patriots defense for giving up 28 points and over 170 yards rushing to the Dolphins. How can a team be expected to take it easy on a team and then criticized afterwards for giving up garbage time yardage while taking it easy.

There is only one logical explanation. This is all just a bunch of homerism by Patriots haters who can't stand the fact that we really are the greatest team the league has ever known. They can't stand the fact that not only are breaking records, we're shattering them.

I recall classy Ditka sending a fat sow of a lineman in as a running back, denying Walter Payton the opportunity for a TD while rubbing the Pats noses in it.

Classy!

Tonight ,for the record,on ESPN primetime,Merril Hodge and Mike Ditka laughed at the idea of the Pats running up the score,saying things like "they get paid to play 60 minutes of football like the other guys,if you dont like,stop 'em."Even TD on NFL network and coach Jim Mora said basically the same thing.Funny,I always had Hodge figured as Patriots hater,he defended them vigorously tonight.

Numbers don't Lie. Week 8 stinks! by ESPN's Gallo

17 -- The Patriots have now won all of their games by 17 points or more and have outscored opponents so far this season by an average of 41.3 to 15.9. And while we're dealing in decimals, Bill Belichick's internal body temperature has stayed at a consistent -273.15 degrees Celsius (or 0 degrees Kelvin, as the kids say), cooled by a dense block of ice where his soul used to be.
...:rocker:
Keep that foot on their throat and CRUSH them BB!

What I keep hearing in my head is that funny line from Herm Edwards.

You play to WIN the GAME

You play to WIN the GAME

Then why were you all whining about the Colts doing it?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43949

This one made me laugh when I seen it posted by KDo5

Doesnt matter to me.

Belichick ends the game with knees and running when he has an easy shot at another TD.

Colts meanwhile do all they can to boost their statistics. Its unclassy.

Another reason why we're better than them.

Running up the score?

What the hell is all this about running up the score? Does the mainstream media realize or even care that the Patriots have lost approximately 3 Quarters starting time each from Brady, Moss, and Welker already. The Patriots are only 8 games or 32 quarters into the seasons, and their key starters have lost almost 10% of game time.

The minority of the media has come to the correct conclusion that while it looks like the Patriots are running up the score, it only looks that way because their defense has been performing almost on the same level as the offense. The Patriots Defense currently ranks 5th in points allowed, 5th in rushing yards allowed, 6th in passing yards allowed and 3rd in takeaways.

Combine all of the above with the fact that Bill Belichick loves to have his team execute situational football, and you have your explanation as to why the Patriots went for it on 4th and 1, deep in Washington Redskins territory, early on in the 4th quarter in this past weekend's game. The play ultimately resulted in a Patriots touchdown and sparked the media frenzy about the Patriots running up the score.

The Mainstream Media usually idolizes the “Great” Offensive games and rarely criticize them. Follow this link http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=1841&cat=1

(Just look at the most lopsided win category) and try to remember if you can what the media has said about those teams.

Re: Running up the score?

Just FYI article is from '04. I got confused when they said "undefeated Seahawks".

Still a good read.

Then why were you all whining about the Colts doing it?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=43949

This one made me laugh when I seen it posted by KDo5

Doesnt matter to me.

Belichick ends the game with knees and running when he has an easy shot at another TD.

Colts meanwhile do all they can to boost their statistics. Its unclassy.

Another reason why we're better than them.
This has been discussed already. The bottom line is, people don't like it when it's happening to their team but LOVE it when their team is doing it to someone else. It's human nature.

While I do believe we've run it up a few times this year, Miami was not one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots