PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Backs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick: Maroney Can 'Absolutely' Help Us by WEEI's Christopher Price:

“When you’re a one-back offense, you can only have one in there at a time. It’s like quarterbacks. We’d like to have played all three quarterbacks, too, but we never had the ball. There were no plays to run.”

While Maroney has played only 12 snaps over the first three preseason games (he ended up with eight carries in the preseason opener against the Saints), a series of backs have had ample opportunity to stretch their legs over the course of the preseason schedule, including Sammy Morris, Fred Taylor, Kevin Faulk and BenJarvus Green-Ellis.

But even though Maroney (who has been healthy enough to take part in every training camp practice this summer) hasn’t seen the field much this preseason, Belichick said he envisions the former first-round pick helping the team when the season rolls around.

“Oh, absolutely. I sure do,” Belichick said.

Pats Confidential: The Patriots Know What They Have In Laurence Maroney by Russell Goldman

When you think about it for all of his faults, Maroney is not a terrible running back. I think many fans and media members clearly believed he was going to be an elite back, and unless he proves he can finally be productive on a consistent basis he’s not likely to be considered as one of the better running backs in the game. Despite that he still has his moments, and the Patriots need production from him this season.

I believe in the eye test. When I watch him run he can irritate me as a fan. He tries too much to hit the home run instead of plowing forward for 4 yards. As frustrating as it may be he still gets his yards, and I think he runs hard. I also don’t think he is soft. I just think he is injury prone, and that upsets fans.

Mike Reiss' mailbag, August 31

Q: What is happening with Laurence Maroney? Is he gone?

A: Maroney, I think he will be on the roster, maybe as the No. 3 or 4 option.

Q: What is the most likely order of touches for Patriots running backs this year? Bill Belichick has stated that Laurence Maroney will continue to have a role in the offense, but will there be room for him alongside Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, and Kevin Faulk? Who's the odd man out?

A: If all five players make the roster -- and I still see Green-Ellis on the bubble -- I'd only expect four to be active on game day. I think Maroney would be one of the four. I think Fred Taylor gets the ball Week 1, with Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk the top backups, followed by Maroney.

Q: Mike, one of the big questions right now seems to be whether Maroney will make the roster or not. If we are to take Bill Belichick at his word, Maroney will be on the team. However, it's pretty tough to ignore the fact that he's had very limited carries during the past three preseason games. What's your sense for the situation?

A: My sense is that it's a combination of two things: 1. Maroney slipping down the depth chart behind Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris; 2. getting BenJarvus Green-Ellis extended work to see if it yields any interest from a running back-needy team (Denver?), or simply to further evaluate him and his place on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes