PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Running Back Situation for 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

minxi501

Banned
Reaction score
After reading some of the previous posts, I'm wondering why everyone is putting Corey Dillon up on a pedistal. Yes he was a big addition to the team in 04'. But that was 04' and now it's 06', so can we really be comfortable with him as our starting running back. You can say what you want about what he did in 04, yes he had a great year with a great offensive line, but he's over 30 now, and how many running backs over 30 have ran for over 1000 yards? Not many. I also have a problem with his contract extension (5 years, $25million), especially at his age. I'm not sure what his cap number for 06' is, but if it's over a few million I would imagine the Patriots will need to restructure, or it would be in their best interests. Any thoughts as to what/if the Patriots will do to address the running back situation, for this year and the future? I was thinking they'd most likely go through the draft or go after somebody like a Chester Taylor for example.

No one is, but we have no choice. He costs $5-$6M whether we cut him or keep him. Faulk is another $2.5M. We can't add a big time RB and be over $10M at that one position. Well, we can, but we won't.

1st off, Dillon's contract was not just 5 years/25 million. There was an option clause in there that I believe would void the last 3 years of the contract if the Patriots decided no to pick it up. Yes, it would bump Dillon's salary up to 6 million and his cap number to over 7 million, but it would also make this the last year of Dillon's contract. Also, even if the Pats pay the option, they could still cut Dillon next season depending on how he does.

Many people have speculated that the Pats would go after a Chester Taylor, Verron Hayes, or Jonathan Wells. People have also speculated about Anthony Thomas.

Draft a guy like Drew or Calhoun in the third round..

just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back