PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run Defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Is this just a matter of 'fits'? or full contact reps?

The lack of push up front was the biggest concern last night. I have come to expect nothing from Cassell so last night was no surprise but the way our big 3 Wilfork, Warren and Seymour were pushed off the ball was scary.

Philly is more of a softer pass first type of team but still Westbrook can run the rock. I will be very interested in how the defense responds on Friday.

One of my favorite Tedy Bruschi quotes was after the regular season game in 2004 when the Steelers ran the ball down the Patriots throats. BB even called a goalline defense and they couldn't stop them. Bruschi was pissed and after the game he said "Stopping the run is a mindset." From that game on the defense played great, lets see if the gear clicks in this week.

Is this just a matter of 'fits'? or full contact reps?

The lack of push up front was the biggest concern last night. I have come to expect nothing from Cassell so last night was no surprise but the way our big 3 Wilfork, Warren and Seymour were pushed off the ball was scary.

Philly is more of a softer pass first type of team but still Westbrook can run the rock. I will be very interested in how the defense responds on Friday.

One of my favorite Tedy Bruschi quotes was after the regular season game in 2004 when the Steelers ran the ball down the Patriots throats. BB even called a goalline defense and they couldn't stop them. Bruschi was pissed and after the game he said "Stopping the run is a mindset." From that game on the defense played great, lets see if the gear clicks in this week.

They weren't getting pushed off the ball, they were titty-fighting. It's how defensive linemen play when they're being lazy, quite frankly. Instead of positioning your hands and keeping your arms extended to set up the blocker, then getting into his body on your terms and moving past him, you lean into him and mash man-boobs. It's a lack of effort thing, rather than a failure to execute thing. If it continues into the regular season, it'll be a serious cause for concern, but seeing as how they were playing a week 2 preseason game in hot and humid Tampa, I'll give them a pass for now.

They weren't getting pushed off the ball, they were titty-fighting. It's how defensive linemen play when they're being lazy, quite frankly. Instead of positioning your hands and keeping your arms extended to set up the blocker, then getting into his body on your terms and moving past him, you lean into him and mash man-boobs. It's a lack of effort thing, rather than a failure to execute thing. If it continues into the regular season, it'll be a serious cause for concern, but seeing as how they were playing a week 2 preseason game in hot and humid Tampa, I'll give them a pass for now.

I think you're right, and let's hope that's the case. Man, I'm not used to seeing Big Vince get pushed around like that. That just seems unnatural.

The majority of the yardage the Bucs got was when the second team defense was in.

Unfortunately Marshall Faulk and Sterling Sharpe did not acknowledge this fact at all.

The run defense is fine. We go through the same thing every pre-season.

I think you're right, and let's hope that's the case. Man, I'm not used to seeing Big Vince get pushed around like that. That just seems unnatural.

Honestly, as I was watching last night, Vince was the main culprit to my eyes. Seymour at least would work a little harder when the play came to his side, or when he saw an opening. Wilfork was content to just hang on to one guy, usually the center, and let the play move around him in either direction. He wasn't even trying to shed his blocker when the play was coming at him, or control the A gaps. Those gaping holes were usually in the middle, with Wilfork just kind of hanging out, closing off one lane and leaving the rest wide open. It's tough on the linebackers when they need to fill multiple huge holes. I doubt you see such poor effort from the linemen come the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes