Run defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What was up with that? Talk about soft.

The lack of run defense was the most disappointing aspect of a very disappointing game.

Given that we haven't replaced Seymour and made believe that Guyton could defend the run, the patriots fun defense was pretty good this year.

What was up with that? Talk about soft.

The lack of run defense was the most disappointing aspect of a very disappointing game.

I'd say the offensive gameplan and offensive execution was the most disappointing...but that the run defense was certainly the most shocking. It's impossible to make a comeback when the opposing team can line up, effectively declare that they are running the ball, and run over you three times for a first down. Our only chance was to get an early lead, and the exact opposite occurred.

I don't think Guyton is the problem. He's not great against the run, but not atrocious. I think he's more suited to a Roman Phifer role on passing downs.

I think the key problems are lack of quality OLBs to set the edge and Jarvis Green.

I'm totally fine with the run defense. They were manhandled yes but that had a lot more to do with desire IMO. The Patriots defense is all about doing your job, and since some guys were out of position, that small lane for Rice became a huge carpet ride to the end zone. And then the air came out of the bag, quickly.

I have concerns about Guyton too, but he may turn into a Phifer type player.

With Bodden and Butler, I think we may have our corners.

I like our D except for OLB pass rush, and the draft can be used for a DE/OLB or two.

Certainly didn't help Wilfork's stock.....didn't hurt it but didn't help it either.

If Guyton is more of a Roman Phifer, then he should be put in that role and not play on running downs. We would be much better off with a runstuffing ILB next to mayo on first down.

I don't think Guyton is the problem. He's not great against the run, but not atrocious. I think he's more suited to a Roman Phifer role on passing downs.

I think the key problems are lack of quality OLBs to set the edge and Jarvis Green.

I agree. They still need one more ILB, and McKenzie can't be counted on yet to be that guy.

They need two more OLBs, in addition to Banta-Cain. One player with AD's skillset is a must, just without his attitude.

They need another DE. The Pats pulled Jarvis Green in the Ravens game and put Wilfork at RE to help against the run. Brace or Pryor can't be counted on to start at this point.

They need to franchise or re-sign Wilfork. He is the key to this run defense.

If Guyton is more of a Roman Phifer, then he should be put in that role and not play on running downs. We would be much better off with a runstuffing ILB next to mayo on first down.

Indeed. Only problem is we don't currently have one on the roster.

Hopefully McKenzie can step up and fulfill that need.

Another way to say this is that this need was clearly known going into the last offseason and Belichick did not fill the position until late in the season with Seau.

Indeed. Only problem is we don't currently have one on the roster.

Hopefully McKenzie can step up and fulfill that need.

--guyton is a not strong enough to play the run against big lines

--Seymour was a loser as he played the run and had only 8 sacks last year. Now we have green who gets blown up.

-- With green handled they used a TE to block the 260 lb banta very succesfully.

-- which mean they pulled a gaurd to block mayo to shut him down. easy to say mayo should ahve done his job but what about the DE and OLB who took a TE and Tackle letting a Gaurd to lead the RB through the whole.

-- A big bruiser is needed in the middle and let mayo play SILB. We need another 3-4 end the problem is seymour took 6-8 games to start contributing and ty warren 2 yrs. So no rookie is going to make any effect.

Given that we haven't replaced Seymour and made believe that Guyton could defend the run, the patriots fun defense was pretty good this year.

Mayo.. Green.. TBC... Thomas...

i don't think mayo, did much better then guyton both of them can't take on blocks and with out seymour, there will be a lot of line men chaping on them

I understand that we need a replacement for Seymour, but Mayo has played much better against the run than Guyton. You do recall that he was the DROY and severely injured at the start of this year?

i don't think mayo, did much better then guyton both of them can't take on blocks and with out seymour, there will be a lot of line men chaping on them

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes