PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Run defense is key

Status
Not open for further replies.
They seldom if ever played fewer than 5 DBs and 2 LBs. You can call it a 3-4 by renaming the DEs as LBs, but they weren't. There were 2 off the line LBs.
That is simply not true. They played 34 about half of the snaps. As I said a few times now the dl was vw Chris j and walker
The lbs we chandler j nink HT and Collins and there were 4 DBS.

If you want to call it a 52 I guess you can but that is also a more run heavy defense than any we gave played all year.

That is simply not true. They played 34 about half of the snaps. As I said a few times now the dl was vw Chris j and walker
The lbs we chandler j nink HT and Collins and there were 4 DBS.

If you want to call it a 52 I guess you can but that is also a more run heavy defense than any we gave played all year.

I am still confused.

A) Collins, Hightower, Ninkovich and Chandler Jones were in on almost every down. It doesn't matter what you call them.

B) On average, there were 2.16 DT's on the field (69, 50, 49 and 20 for the 4 players) plus 2.56 corners, and 4.63 total DB's.

CONCLUSIONS

NICKEL OR DIME (over 50% of the time)
My conclusion is that we were in a true nickel or dime more than half the time. When we had 5 defensive backs and 4 DE/LB's, we had TWO possible DT's, not three.

3-4 RUN DEFENSE (3 wide bodies plus 4 DE/OLB's and 4 DB's)
It seems that at most we ran this about 45% of the time. HOWEVER, this is not possible since we only average having 2.16 DT's on the field at once.

I do indeed believe that we sometimes had 1 DT or even none in the game.

BOTTOM LINE
The team did what they could, but didn't seem to run the 3-4 enough. There was an unmentioned aspect of the game. Chung and Wilson were playing in the box some.

My concern, and that of others, is that this was one of the poorest defenses agains the run since Belichick arrived. AND, it was not as if the passing game of the jets required overcommitment of our defensive backs.

I am still confused.

A) Collins, Hightower, Ninkovich and Chandler Jones were in on almost every down. It doesn't matter what you call them.

B) On average, there were 2.16 DT's on the field (69, 50, 49 and 20 for the 4 players) plus 2.56 corners, and 4.63 total DB's.

CONCLUSIONS

NICKEL OR DIME (over 50% of the time)
My conclusion is that we were in a true nickel or dime more than half the time. When we had 5 defensive backs and 4 DE/LB's, we had TWO possible DT's, not three.

3-4 RUN DEFENSE (3 wide bodies plus 4 DE/OLB's and 4 DB's)
It seems that at most we ran this about 45% of the time. HOWEVER, this is not possible since we only average having 2.16 DT's on the field at once.

I do indeed believe that we sometimes had 1 DT or even none in the game.

BOTTOM LINE
The team did what they could, but didn't seem to run the 3-4 enough. There was an unmentioned aspect of the game. Chung and Wilson were playing in the box some.

My concern, and that of others, is that this was one of the poorest defenses agains the run since Belichick arrived. AND, it was not as if the passing game of the jets required overcommitment of our defensive backs.

MGT,

Thanks for the confiming evidence to my theory that some strange defenses were being employed.

They played the best run d personnel they have. It was 3 300+ lb DL plus 4 lbs. Nink jones HT and Collins.
That's the point in fact they added an extra dl and took out skinner.
You simply cannot argue the fact that they played a more run heavy scheme than they have all year.
I'm not sure where you get that they played 2 LBs unless you didn't see the game.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle. I just checked out Reiss' snap count, certain it would validate my impressions, and the team was in a 3-4 for between 30-40% of the snaps. I'm not sure where I got the idea that they were in nickle virtually the entire game. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes