Welcome to PatsFans.com

Rumsfield Okayed abuses...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 26, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

Another former general is turning on her former boss, this time is the head of Abu Ghraib.. Janis Karpinski, she is alleging that Donald okayed the abuse there.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L25726413.htm

Former U.S. Army Brigadier General Janis Karpinski told Spain's El Pais newspaper she had seen a letter apparently signed by Rumsfeld which allowed civilian contractors to use techniques such as sleep deprivation during interrogation.

Karpinski, who ran the prison until early 2004, said she saw a memorandum signed by Rumsfeld detailing the use of harsh interrogation methods.

"The handwritten signature was above his printed name and in the same handwriting in the margin was written: "Make sure this is accomplished"," she told Saturday's El Pais.

"The methods consisted of making prisoners stand for long periods, sleep deprivation ... playing music at full volume, having to sit in uncomfortably ... Rumsfeld authorised these specific techniques."

The Geneva Convention says prisoners of war should suffer "no physical or mental torture, nor any other form of coercion" to secure information.

"Prisoners of war who refuse to answer may not be threatened, insulted, or exposed to any unpleasant or disadvantageous treatment of any kind," the document states

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I guess we've argued this before but I was all for the "abuses". They weren't Priosoners of War, for one thing. IMO, of course. And it wasn't torture. Coercion, I could see, but we're not talking about pulling fingernails off or anything - now that's torture.

3. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

For me it is quite simple, how would we want American POW's treated?? If we do not set an example as the greatest democracy in the world and as a moral vanguard it is all for naught. Call it what you want, but I expect our military and police to adhere to a very high standard, anything less then we become the enemy.

4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,050 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

History has now shown that these abuses were part of Rumsfeld's plan to invade with a small force. Many wise Generals we now know were kept out of the war planning...as well as their opinion being discarded.

I was watching Brothers in Arms this morning for like the 6th time. At the end of the movie, they site the capture of the German artillery installation in Brecourt as being a textbook example of capturing a bunker/gunnery facility... it is still taught at the military academy. Was there anything text book done by rumsfeld....anything???

It just doesn't make sense that our fine Generals were not allowed to plan the war.

It just doesn't make sense that we didn't use a larger, better equipped force.

It just doesn't make sense why we disbanded the police and military.

That Rumsfeld okayed the abuses comes as no shock, his rational was to save the lives of our military people....a larger force could have done that better. Rumsfeld could well go down in history as one of the worst leaders of all time. Considering how many bad leaders the world has seen...it is an amazing un-accomplishment that he pulled it off....young military graduates would have done a better job...at least it would have been by the book if nothing else.

My disdain for Rumsfeld goes back to the initial invasion....I could go on forever....so I'll leave it there before I type 5-10 pages of opinion of the jerk.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2006
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +239 / 8 / -13

Good question about how we want American troops treated, the real question is HOW IN REALITY have American troops been treated. Let's look at the past 60 years.

WW2 Japanese, Baatan Death March, routinue starvation, forced labor and murder
    Korean War, starvation torture
    Viet NAm, Toprture
    WOT beheadings of captured Americans.

Doesan't appear that treating our prisioners according to the Geneva Conventiion has helped our guys too much.

Where qwas Karpinski whne she was running Abu Gharib and letting the discipline of her troops go down the drain? This is self serving CYA crap to avoid responsibility for her actions, that leftist are dumb enough to go for.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Abba Grabba Prison
    Madonna Concert
    SAME THING

After the pictures were taken the guy that had the Ladies Underwear on his head asked the guards if he could keep the underwear.

The Muslim Terrorists are still laughing over being led around on a dog leash being called "Torture", they can show you what real torture is, but of course the NY Times trys to hide all that stuff, the "TV Beheadings" Made The News For One Day, the "Dog Leash" is still being blubbered and whined about.
    :bricks:

7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

The Geneva Conventions did not exist prior to 1949, with your logic we should just deny murderers with preponderance of evidence against them a trial as we know they are guilty. Or better still as George Bush lied like a motherf...er about Iraq, he should just go to some jail as we all know he is guilty. There is no need for due process anywhere, just lock the bastards up and torture them it is justified, because they did it to us. Study some history as prior to the fall of any great nation, there is an erosion of values and an erosion of the laws that bind them together. We are the greatest nation for a reason, to compromise our core values puts us all in harms way.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

ATTA BOY 15, NOW YOUR GETTING WARMED UP, LAY IT ON EM, KILL THE BASTARDS.

THEY HAVE A MUSEUM SOMEWHERE WITH ALL THE DEVICES THAT HAVE BEEN USED TO TORTURE PEOPLE OVER THE AGES, THEY SHOULD NOW PUT A DOG LEASH FROM "WAL MART" AND A PAIR OF SILK "LADIES UNDERWEAR" FROM VICTORIA SECRET RIGHT UP THERE NEXT TO THE "HEAD SQUASHER"
    :singing: :singing: :bricks: