PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors: Teams interested in Mallett, Pats have rejected past offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I am foolish and thoroughly stupid, I will provide supporting documentation so others do not have to take my word.

NFL releases 2014 franchise, transition tag numbers - NFL.com

The transition tag for QBs in 2014 is $14.666 million. If the Patriots decide to place the transition tag on Mallett in 2015, they will forfeit any comp picks for Mallett in 2016 as only true UFAs are eligible to be included in the comp pick calculation. If the Pats place the transition tag, they either have to match the offer or let him go. The CBA forbids a trade.

Page 48 of the CBA
The Prior Club, within five (5) days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the consequences set forth in Sections 3(b)-(h), 4 and 6 of Article 9 above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player,

If I were Mallett and the Patriots place the transition tag on me, I would sign it immediately so as to guarantee me the $15 million or so.

That is why the transition tag is most likely.

No one would likely pay that franchise tag fee so the Right of First Refusal via the Transition tag is intriguing, as I delineated. Even the foolish and thoroughly stupid know that.

Let the really interested ones bid, and then decide, post 2014, on the course of action. It also almost ensures a max compensation pick, if not matched, or a realistic trade offer. Recall the Cassell situation and resolution. While the Pats get another year of un-matchably inexpensive, Mallett, as a QB backup.

Meanwhile: If the Pats don't shore up their interior O line, much better than 2013, Brady will NOT Survive another year of 40 sacks. That is THE major over looked issue, friends.

PS: Why is it that the only ones to see him in practice and in film room analysis, seem to want him the most? Why is it that I seem to be the only one, besides BB, to be defending the Patriots potentially, long term interests? I recall doing so for Cassell, but I wasn't entirely alone. There were a few others, like DI.

I see Miquel has pointed out why the Transition Tag would result in no compensation. I can't see any situation barring a Nick Foles like ascension to where the Franchise Tag would be used and he is not re-signing to be Brady's backup. The Patriots would surely be unable to match any offer from a team looking at him as a starter. It compensation this year or none at all

I see Miquel has pointed out why the Transition Tag would result in no compensation. I can't see any situation barring a Nick Foles like ascension to where the Franchise Tag would be used and he is not re-signing to be Brady's backup. The Patriots would surely be unable to match any offer from a team looking at him as a starter. It compensation this year or none at all

I agree with everything up to this last statement. If they don't trade him, the Pats could get a comp pick for him in 2016.

If the Patriots decide to place the transition tag on Mallett in 2015, they will forfeit any comp picks for Mallett in 2016 as only true UFAs are eligible to be included in the comp pick calculation.

Correction - I looked up what happened in the past with transition picks. Steve Hutchinson counted as a loss for the Seahawks. So if the Patriots do place the transition tag on Mallett and another team signs him to that offer, the Pats will get a 3rd round pick in 2016.

I agree with everything up to this last statement. If they don't trade him, the Pats could get a comp pick for him in 2016.

Right.

Correction - I looked up what happened in the past with transition picks. Steve Hutchinson counted as a loss for the Seahawks. So if the Patriots do place the transition tag on Mallett and another team signs him to that offer, the Pats will get a 3rd round pick in 2016.

Thanks for the correction.

So now we're down to whatever compensation they can get this year vs. what would likely (but not for certain) be a third round comp pic in 2016 vs. having him as a backup in 2014.

To play Devil's advocate for a moment, that may be because of the shenanigans involving the poison pill. For all we know, since those are forbidden now, using the transition tag may get you nothing.

In all of these discussions about trading Mallett, there seems to be little discussion about who the heck would play QB behind Brady. Are you assuming that the Patriots would draft another QB? Or is there some castoff you would entrust the job to?

In all of these discussions about trading Mallett, there seems to be little discussion about who the heck would play QB behind Brady. Are you assuming that the Patriots would draft another QB? Or is there some castoff you would entrust the job to?

I'd like to grab Aaron Murray in the 6th or 7th round if he lasts that far. Or Mettenburger.

Brady never gets injured though, so it's not really a big deal. Trade Mallett to improve draft position and acquire more picks.

I think the Texans will try to trade for Hoyer. He'd come cheaper and Bill O'Brien worked with him here.

Obviously I'm hoping they trade for Mallett though

Since I am foolish and thoroughly stupid, I will provide supporting documentation so others do not have to take my word.

I really doubt anyone here thinks you are foolish or stupid.

I asked that question a while back and got no answer.

I think the Texans will try to trade for Hoyer. He'd come cheaper and Bill O'Brien worked with him here.

Hoyer should have even more trade value than Mallet after his short stretch last season. More impressive than anything Mallet has done.

I asked that question a while back and got no answer.

I keep putting Kenny Guiton of Ohio State in my mocks. He backs up Braxton Miller which is why he doesn't get more attention but when he played last year he demonstrated that he had an NFL arm and athleticism. More importantly, he gets rave reviews for his intelligence and character. The Ohio state coaches have him pegged as a future coach. If any rookie QB can learn our system quickly it'll be Guiton. Has already had a private workout with us.

Hoyer is Cleveland's presumed starter, even if they draft one the rookie won't likely start opening day.

as a more stupid and more foolish person than Miguel could ever even begin to comprehend, I sincerely hope that he continues the education we, the moron majority, desperately need concerning this latest CBA agreement.

I'd like to grab Aaron Murray in the 6th or 7th round if he lasts that far. Or Mettenburger.

I keep putting Kenny Guiton of Ohio State in my mocks.

Thanks, I'll look more closely at them! (Though I'd be surprised if Murray OR Mettenburger last to the final rounds.)

IMO the only real reason it makes sense to trade Mallett is that he's in the final year of his contract. NOT because backup QBs aren't important or are easy to replace, which seems to be implicit in a surprising number of posts.

I really doubt anyone here thinks you are foolish or stupid.

Thanks. It just rubs me the wrong way when a fellow poster disrespects his fellow Patriots fans with name-calling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back