PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumors: Teams interested in Mallett, Pats have rejected past offers

Status
Not open for further replies.
i find it hard to believe that BB would pass up a 2th round pick for mallet not once but twice

That's because the one thing here we all underestimate is BB and Joshs opinion of Mallett. Look maybe they have spent 3 years with him and have gone... wait a sec we may have a QB here. e.t.c

If that's the case I can definitely see them not taking the 2nd. As fans without this knowledge of course we would take the 2nd in a heart beat.

Anyway I love Deus's idea about swapping 2nd's and 3rds then add in a conditional 2015 pick. If not that the 33rd would be excellent.

i find it hard to believe that BB would pass up a 2th round pick for mallet not once but twice

I don't, they had Mallett as the highest rated QB the year he came out and in all likelihood a first round grade on him, and they aren't going to trade him for less than real value to them. That doesn't necessarily mean they will hold out for a first but they are going to shoot for top 45.

The other factor that comes into play is the strength of each draft class, and if he was offered the 58# but felt the class was weak and it really was 3rd round value in the guise of a second round pick it would effect his decision.

Would like to see a swapping of 2nd and 4th rounders + Mallett

How about a what if to stimulate this thread. Texans move down and swap a number of picks with Pats for Mallet (including their #1). Then, the Patriots can have the number one position player that they want (Note: this is not a homer Mallet for a #1 selection). Interesting if we could make this work as the Patriots might get a game changer type player.

How about a what if to stimulate this thread. Texans move down and swap a number of picks with Pats for Mallet (including their #1). Then, the Patriots can have the number one position player that they want (Note: this is not a homer Mallet for a #1 selection). Interesting if we could make this work as the Patriots might get a game changer type player.

Mallett plus our whole draft isn't enough for the #1.

Mallett plus our whole draft isn't enough for the #1.

Thanks for playing. As I mentioned, this is not a straight swap of Mallet for a #1. Someone posted that Houston might consider moving down and not taking Clowney. If that were to happen, a proposed trade of Mallet, swapping #1's/and possible later round considerations. Thus, the Patriots would be in a possible position to take the best corner (bye Talib), D-lineman, or tight end, depending on who is available. Houston still has a #1 pick, a new QB (without losing its' 3rd pick/ assuming the rumor is true), and its early second and third rounder.

BB wants Clowney-he's the nearest player to LT. Don't know how he'll get him but it will be interesting. Post TB era Pats will have to be defensively dominate.

Texans message board saying a 3 rounder and Keenum. Screw that! I want #33!! I think we can get it too, they might throw Amendola in to get rid of him!!

Texans message board saying a 3 rounder and Keenum. Screw that! I want #33!! I think we can get it too, they might throw Amendola in to get rid of him!!

This would be about right if they also swapped fourth round picks.
The Patriots get the first pick on day 3.

BB wants Clowney-he's the nearest player to LT. Don't know how he'll get him but it will be interesting. Post TB era Pats will have to be defensively dominate.

If the first sentence is true, then the Pats will have to make a dynamic move (something akin to my previous post. I agree with your last sentence, as it would seem an easier route to build a dominating defense then build an offense even close to we have come to expect.

"Pull it pull it pull the trigger"

Brian Johnson

Mallett is not re-signing to backup Brady and he is not getting franchised at $23,000,000 or whatever the franchise QB amount will be in 2015. Even the foolish and thoroughly stupid know that.

That is why the transition tag is most likely.

No one would likely pay that franchise tag fee so the Right of First Refusal via the Transition tag is intriguing, as I delineated. Even the foolish and thoroughly stupid know that.

Let the really interested ones bid, and then decide, post 2014, on the course of action. It also almost ensures a max compensation pick, if not matched, or a realistic trade offer. Recall the Cassell situation and resolution. While the Pats get another year of un-matchably inexpensive, Mallett, as a QB backup.

Meanwhile: If the Pats don't shore up their interior O line, much better than 2013, Brady will NOT Survive another year of 40 sacks. That is THE major over looked issue, friends.

PS: Why is it that the only ones to see him in practice and in film room analysis, seem to want him the most? Why is it that I seem to be the only one, besides BB, to be defending the Patriots potentially, long term interests? I recall doing so for Cassell, but I wasn't entirely alone. There were a few others, like DI.

Why would BB want a showboat whose desire and work ethic is questionable? It's one thing to skip a workout, but to lie about it and blame it on hip issues, that's something else.

No one would likely pay that franchise tag fee so the Right of First Refusal via the Transition tag is intriguing, as I delineated. Even the foolish and thoroughly stupid know that.

Let the really interested ones bid, and then decide, post 2014, on the course of action. It also almost ensures a max compensation pick, if not matched, or a realistic trade offer. Recall the Cassell situation and resolution. While the Pats get another year of un-matchably inexpensive, Mallett, as a QB backup.

Meanwhile: If the Pats don't shore up their interior O line, much better than 2013, Brady will NOT Survive another year of 40 sacks. That is THE major over looked issue, friends.

PS: Why is it that the only ones to see him in practice and in film room analysis, seem to want him the most? Why is it that I seem to be the only one, besides BB, to be defending the Patriots potentially, long term interests? I recall doing so for Cassell, but I wasn't entirely alone. There were a few others, like DI.

Is the first pick OL (center)? If so, (through a trade) does a top of the second round pick get it done?

Don't understand why no one thinks Mallett isn't at least as good a prospect as Derrek Carr, who'll be gone by #33. Huge arm, studying behind Brady for three years...his value is going up, not down. Early second round pick is good value for Houston, and may be enough compensation for BB to bite. I think it might take even a bit more... #33 + 2015 3rd?

Multiple Pats insiders have been tied to Mallett rumors since he was drafted, not just OBrien. Mike Lombari was public with his enthusiasm for Ryan before he took the Cleveland job. It is really not impossible to imagine that the guy riding the pine behind Brady would be a top-20 starting QB in the NFL. Cassell and Hoyer have both been respectable in starting roles elsewhere, and Mallett has better raw talent and more highly regarded coming out of college than either of them.

Don't understand why no one thinks Mallett isn't at least as good a prospect as Derrek Carr, who'll be gone by #33. Huge arm, studying behind Brady for three years...his value is going up, not down.

But only one year of being cost-controlled remaining and what little tape there is of him is decidedly unimpressive.

What? LMAO.

There is nothing interesting, we're not getting #1, we're not trying to get #1, get this idea 10,0000% out of your head. You're only going to destroy your own braincells pretending this is possible in any alternate universe.

Let the really interested ones bid, and then decide, post 2014, on the course of action. It also almost ensures a max compensation pick, if not matched, or a realistic trade offer.

Since I am foolish and thoroughly stupid, I will provide supporting documentation so others do not have to take my word.

NFL releases 2014 franchise, transition tag numbers - NFL.com

The transition tag for QBs in 2014 is $14.666 million. If the Patriots decide to place the transition tag on Mallett in 2015, they will forfeit any comp picks for Mallett in 2016 as only true UFAs are eligible to be included in the comp pick calculation. If the Pats place the transition tag, they either have to match the offer or let him go. The CBA forbids a trade.

Page 48 of the CBA
The Prior Club, within five (5) days from the date it receives the Offer Sheet, may exercise or not exercise its Right of First Refusal, which shall have the consequences set forth in Sections 3(b)-(h), 4 and 6 of Article 9 above, except that no Draft Choice Compensation shall be made with respect to such player,

Don't understand why no one thinks Mallett isn't at least as good a prospect as Derrek Carr, who'll be gone by #33. Huge arm, studying behind Brady for three years...his value is going up, not down. Early second round pick is good value for Houston, and may be enough compensation for BB to bite. I think it might take even a bit more... #33 + 2015 3rd?

Multiple Pats insiders have been tied to Mallett rumors since he was drafted, not just OBrien. Mike Lombari was public with his enthusiasm for Ryan before he took the Cleveland job. It is really not impossible to imagine that the guy riding the pine behind Brady would be a top-20 starting QB in the NFL. Cassell and Hoyer have both been respectable in starting roles elsewhere, and Mallett has better raw talent and more highly regarded coming out of college than either of them.

I definitely agree with this. This QB class doesn't look very impressive at all. Bortles is probably the best of the lot but he's no Luck. Last years class was equally unimpressive.

On a side note, the most impressive looking QB to come out of last years class IMHO was Mike Glennon. Round 3, #73 overall. If you were going to compare Mallet to anyone, well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down